GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to Northern California from Albuquerque and back several times a year. I noticed on a trip earlier this year that traffic was much lighter than normal. Yesterday I returned from my Mother's day trip there. There is no doubt that traffic has significantly reduced in the last year. This also includes big trucks. It also would seem that the truckers that remain are not the ones that we would label "less than competent". It appears to me that the trucking industry has found out a way to keep their better drivers and let the poorer ones go to another line of work. So if you had plans to ride across I-40 as well as north on I-5 in California don't let your concerns about the truck traffic hold you back. In this economy it is not the same I-40 that we westerners have learned to hate. But WATCH YOUR SPEED. New Mexico, Arizona and California police are out in force and they are writing tickets. I have never seen so many stopped vehicles as I have on this last trip.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Its more than likey its that way on most intersates. As far as keeping the good drivers, its that way everywhere, helps keep the overhead down, plus makes it better for us. And the Leo's being out , will that another sign of the times. All states are hurting and thats one way to make wages and to keep a job. Kind of nice to go somewhere and be able to enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I go to Northern California from Albuquerque and back several times a year. I noticed on a trip earlier this year that traffic was much lighter than normal. Yesterday I returned from my Mother's day trip there. There is no doubt that traffic has significantly reduced in the last year. This also includes big trucks. It also would seem that the truckers that remain are not the ones that we would label "less than competent". It appears to me that the trucking industry has found out a way to keep their better drivers and let the poorer ones go to another line of work. So if you had plans to ride across I-40 as well as north on I-5 in California don't let your concerns about the truck traffic hold you back. In this economy it is not the same I-40 that we westerners have learned to hate. But WATCH YOUR SPEED. New Mexico, Arizona and California police are out in force and they are writing tickets. I have never seen so many stopped vehicles as I have on this last trip.

You must be working for a trucking company.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must be working for a trucking company.
Nope, wrong guess. Actually I am someone who rides I-40 frequently and I am not a fan of trucks at all. I was just reporting observations on that trip.

·
Registered
478 Posts
All those truck and traffic were on I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio this weekend. Going south from Dallas to Corpus Christi was some of the worst I have seen in a long time. Where were they going? Another board member mentioned that when we got close to Austin to take the new I-130 tollroad and there is little to no traffic. Boy oh boy was that a nice ride. Like mentioned it was such little traffic and nice country side and 54 miles later we where way past south Austin traffic.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gene: TX 130 sounds like a winner but have a question (I hate driving across Austin too.). How did you reconnect with I-35 south of Austin? Looking at the map the obvious route would be TX-21 into San Marcos but I know that can be slow. The only other road I see is FM-1327 and it appears to be a bit out of the way.

Thanks for any sage advice.

·
Registered
481 Posts
This starts and ends from south city limit to the north city limit on I-35. I got my toll tag from them and it works all thru Texas. Running thru Austin is a breeze now. Good country side to the east on toll road. Its not really that much out of the way but a lot faster if you want to get on the other side of Austin.

www.txtag.org

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You are correct about the CHP in Ca. Times are tough got to get the $$$ somewhere. Last Friday I went to Fort Bragg on Highway 20 the last 11 miles I counted 6 chps. The bad news, last year I got a ticket on this highway. The good news, I have sense lowered my speed to within 6 miles of the speed limit no more. The best news, no tickets this year knock on wood. It's just so darn hard to go that slow. it seems every time I look down the speedometer is nearing 70+. That girl loves to run in the mountains. :excited:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts