GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow, my wife and I are leaving Annapolis (pulling a trailer) with our first stop being Maggie Valley for a couple of days. Was planning to take two days and wind down back roads in VA to get there but now am strongly considering "torching a couple of tanks" and going around the DC beltway and straight down I-81 and doing it in one day. I hate the slab but I want to get there. I have traveled 81 lots of times and I am aware of the heavy truck traffic on 81, but here is my question:

Tomorrow (Monday) on July 4th would you expect the truck traffic to be lighter due to it being a holiday.....and how much extra car volume will there be on 81 due to vacation traffic?

I honestly don't know whether it to be clear sailing due to a holiday, or my worst nightmare (bumper to bumper) due to it being a holiday........Haven't traveled on the 4th in years.

What says the jury?............

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Wife and I are taking the slab east from Kansas thru St.. Louis and I'm thinking the truck traffic will be later until later in the evening, but that's just a guess figure the truckers will either be there to going later to get their early on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking the same but now I am wondering how many people will be trying to get home on Monday.....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Being a truck driver myself it will be lighter,for awhile and like someone above said it will be heavy later with trucks and cars. Peaple wanting to get back home and truck drivers trying to get where they need to deliver on tuesday. In any case becareful and have fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Virginia like other states this weekend has as many LEO's out there making sure that you mind your P's and Q's. They usually give you 5 over but on the targeted enforcement areas of 81 try not to make yourself standout from the traffic flow. I'm not a great fan of 81 as it seems you're always one minor traffic incident from miles of backup. I think you'll be ok as you're heading away from the major population centers.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I-81 is a mystery unto itself at times. I drove a truck for several years and never understood the traffic or absence of it.
The right lane is usually a long conga line of 80000 pound leviathans heading somewhere in a 65 mph race.
Prepare an alternate plan for 11 or another route and hammer down.
Virginia State Troopers have no sense of humor when they stop you

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I live right off I-81 and expect the traffic will be light in the morning but toward late afternoon will get heavier. You wouldn't hit 81 til late morning and would be on it til mid/late-afternoon. You should be okay... I just hate 81. Worst interstate truck traffic in the eastern US, IMO.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have always had good luck on I81 through the week. Weekends and holidays, not so much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was in the area last week, I know it wasn't the holiday. I used hwy 340 to avoid I-81 and it's worth the ride - speed limit was 55 on most of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I traveled I81 about a month ago, and came across road construction in the Lexington, VA area. Down to 1 lane. You may want to look up construction zones for I81 on the internet to look for delays.

Jay

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was on 11 most of the day and also on I81 for about an hour. All of ot in Va. between Harrisonburg and Bristol. Not much traffic although 11 is slow going through towns.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How is 522?

On Saturday, I took 20 up through Virginia on the way up to central PA till I hit I-64 and then took it over to I-81 till I hit the PA line. Traffic was surprisingly light.

On the way back to NC I would like to stay completely off the slab. So my question is... How is 522 to 211 to 231 to 29 to 20? I know the ride through NC on 15 and then VA on 20 was a very nice ride.

Thanks!
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts