GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is I-90 through Chicago working these days? I may go through about noon this Friday but see there is construction going on. I don't mind traffic if it is moving. I like gawking at big buildings. But I deplore parking on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Depends what time of day your passing through? On your way to WI Dells?

Anyway, I think every highway has some sort of construction going on. Try here http://www.dot.state.il.us/tpublic.html and look for I90 info. Try and stay away from rush hour times. Stay away from I290 Eisenhower at all times of the day. Otherwise, if you are mid day times, you will be a little slow, but not bad.

I am trying to go to the WI riders get together this weekend as well. Sam is leaving on Friday, so may want to look at the thread on the ride and pm Sam to ride up. Good luck and ride safe! May see you....

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Steve--

Heading North is not as bad as South. Heading West from Gary, you'll be fine until the road swings North towards Chicago. Make sure you are in the left lane ( no markings....you'll see ). Construction is only for a few miles and then clears and you'll have a clear shot.

It all depends on what time you plan on going thru town.

You've got my cell#....give me a call if you like.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Nice info to know. I have to go to Chicago for a trade show in a couple of weeks, and will driving up there Friday morning. I need to get to Midway airport to pick someone up, then up to McCormick.

Anything outside the ordinary I should know about that wouold be beneficial, I'd apprciate it.

Polecat, don't mean to steal your thread, just share it with you. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Polecat, I travel this route everyday (I work down town and live near O'Hare airport). If you are coming through about noon, this is actually the best time of day to make the trip. I assume you are taking the Skyway to I-90. You will catch a little construction on the Dan Ryan and then some more as you approach the toll booths.

Actually I plan on leaving downtown about this time and heading west myself. Maybe we can hook up on your way through, you can make a comfort stop at my place (right off of I-90) and we can head to the Dells together. Drop me an email if you think you might me interested.

Look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Barry and Margie

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
iwing said:
Nice info to no. I have to go to Chicago for a trade show in a couple of weeks, and will driving up there Friday morning. I need to get to Midway airport to pick someone up, then up to McCormick.

Anything outside the ordinary I should know about that wouold be beneficial, I'd apprciate it.

Polecat, don't mean to steal your thread, just share it with you. :wink:
Iwing, timing is everything... all depends on time of day. Midway to McCormick (I am actually working at McCormick these days) is a piece of cake. I-55 straight in...

Enjoy Chicago and hope you get to see some sites. Be sure to stop at Due's for the best Pizza in the country!!

Barry

·
Registered
768 Posts
Why take I90 when you can take 39? If you're heading to the Dells 39 will take you around Madison and to the Dells. Also no tolls to contend with. I hate driving through Chicago. JMHO

mike
03ILB

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Iwing, Sam is right, piece of cake from Midway to McCormack Place. Again, depends upon time of day!

Mikal has a point, 80 to 39 north if want to stay on the superhighway. Sights are not as good as going thru downtown, you know with all the tall buildings and stuff. If you have time, go LSD, Lake Shore Drive, and really see downtown!

I am still trying to figure out how to make a two day trip out of it, so may join Barry and Polecat if they hook up. Need to see how the first grandchild thing is going....

Just watch the cagers around here closely, cell phone users all of them....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You'll see a lot of orange in IL, no matter which route you take. Nuff said.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I, too, would shoot over to I-39 as soon as you can and bypass the whole Chicagoland construction/congestion mess.

If you do opt to go through the Chicagoland area, noon is probably as good a time as any but you're still rolling the dice.

Yes, I-39 is more miles ... but isn't that a good thing on a Wing? Still, the the chances are it will be less time.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
mr polecat

i practice what i preach

i avoid chicago every time i can

74 from indy to bloominton illinois, and up i-39, is always an easy cruise

and theres a bob evans on market street in bloomington

1 - 13 of 13 Posts