GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going from Norwich, Connecticut, to Trenton, N.J. What is it like on I-95 and the N.J. Turnpike on a motorcycle. I've just never been to New York before. Is it any worse than Atlanta? Thanks for the information.
Gene

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wound up in Trenton, NJ in the projects on Saturday night by taking a wrong turn while on the way to Nova Scotia. I freaked out and went up the ambulance entrance to a trama center and the guard just laughed and said: you boys sure are lost to be in the hood on Saturday night.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We are going from Norwich, Connecticut, to Trenton, N.J. What is it like on I-95 and the N.J. Turnpike on a motorcycle. I've just never been to New York before. Is it any worse than Atlanta? Thanks for the information.
Gene
Depends on the day. Weekdays are a nightmare anytime from 7-10am and 3-7pm. Weekends aren't that bad but still will give you a few pucker factors. I would aviod the GWB at all costs the road to the bridge is so bad and the trucks will keep you on your toes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The NJ Turnpike sucks at rush hour. Lots of traffic and jams. When traffic is moving it moves fast, though speed enforcement has increased dramatically in recent years. Unfortunately, depending on where you are heading, it is hard to avoid these roads. The surface streets are equally congested and can be dangerous if you venture into certain areas. Also in NJ, only the criminals have guns, but I digress.;)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I rode I-95 and the Turnpike from south to north last year on a trip to Canada. I sat in traffic for 3 hours on a Sunday night waiting to get over the George Washington Bridge. Other than that the main gripe I have is the toll booths ever few mile. No rhyme or reason to the price, it varies from booth to booth. If I were to do it again I would go here http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html and get the EZPass for the toll booths. People in cages have no tolerance for a guy on a motorcycle taking off his gloves to fish out money at each tollway.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I95 in CT is really bad in a car or truck, let alone a motorcycle

If you can handle this, then the NJ Turnpike is easy

GWB is OK off peak, forget about it at rush hour

I assume you are taking the NJ Turnpike to 195 then into Trenton...that stretch of the turnpike is not bad, I have ridden many times

Personally I am more concerned about 195 in CT

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I would stay on 287 and get off @ exit 17 on 202 south and take to the Flemington cirlce to 202 & 31. Get off in my home town Ringoes to 31 south and that will put in 16 miles out outside of Trenton.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I95 in CT is really bad in a car or truck, let alone a motorcycle

If you can handle this, then the NJ Turnpike is easy

GWB is OK off peak, forget about it at rush hour

I assume you are taking the NJ Turnpike to 195 then into Trenton...that stretch of the turnpike is not bad, I have ridden many times

Personally I am more concerned about 195 in CT
Comming from CT the best way is the Saw Mill parkway thru NY to 287.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I've ridden I-95 from Maine to Florida and back again a few times, just make sure your life insurance is paid up. You'll notice Baltimore is the ugliest town on the east coast.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Comming from CT the best way is the Saw Mill parkway thru NY to 287.
Depends a lot on time of day, holiday weekend or not, where in CT you are headed....have driven many times to Boston..

Norwich CT is a spit above Mystic, right on 395...could peel off and take the Tappan Zee, depending upon traffic etc

Timing is everything, need to avoid "rush hour" at the various bottle necks one may encounter

To each his own...later

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody for your input. Since we are not limited for time, I think we are going to take the a more scenic route and go west around the high traffic areas and then back east. I just do not like that kind of high density traffic along with toll booths. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Honda John Has It Right

Having lived in NJ for 35 years, I can confirm that the best way from NJ to New England, or vice-versa, is to take the Tappen Zee bridge into NE and avoid NYC.

Coming from CT, cross at the Tappen Zee and get I-287 South to get to your destination. Any extra distance traveled will be worth it.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Thanks everybody for your input. Since we are not limited for time, I think we are going to take the a more scenic route and go west around the high traffic areas and then back east. I just do not like that kind of high density traffic along with toll booths. Thanks again.
Have a safe trip and enjoy..

·
Registered
94 Posts
BALD EAGLE HAS THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS :agree:

LIVED IN JERSEY FOR 60 YRS....:cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts