GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now I know. LOL. This was my first summer with the new Wing, after 9000+ miles with no problems the wife and I pulled up to our garage door and I stopped and we both fell over, laughing. I don't remember what I did wrong, but probably had the front wheel turned. It couldn't have happened at a better place and time, beats being at a congested intersection during rush hour. Anyway, I never picked up a dropped Wing before so this was my chance to see if my technique was right. Put my butt under the seat, bike in gear, held the handle bars and right up..noooo problem. Didn't put a scratch on it. Can't wait to do it again, this time in heavy traffic.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Ron, I only dropped mine once, in the garage where nobody could see me. Won't drop it again.

Tom

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congratulations! :D

There are no heros in an intersections. Learn from your mistake and try not to dump in an intersections. It's embarrasing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Tom, ya gotta be leaned over pretty far to drop a pearl orange trike. How ya been?

S

·
0 Posts
Doing good Ron. We'll have to get together when the weather gets better. Not that's it's been bad, went for a ride last week.

Tom

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ditto

Yep, dropped mine at about one mph in a sharp turn at the gas station. I was so impressed with myself executing my hard right turn with precision lean technique. Then I was off. No pain, except for wounded pride.

So, I joined OBAST; member 121. Click on link below:

http://www.obast.org/index.php

·
Registered
220 Posts
I most recently dropped my GL 1500 after cleaning the wheels on the motorcycle jack. I had the kickstand up while on the jack and starting the bike and polishing rear wheel. After completeing the job i went to lower the bike from the right side forgetting the kickstand was up. I was looking for the kickstand to make contact with the floor just as it started to topple and TIMBER!!!!...I will make certain this never happens to my 1800......

·
Registered
463 Posts
dropping the wing

I joined the club back in November. I was riding to work (25 degrees) and hit some ice, most likely form the back of someones pickup that spilled onto the roadway and froze instantly. The wing and I slid 30 or so yards on our right side. The really bad part of this was that I was leaving for the Dragon the next morning. When we finally came to a stop I got off the bike (I was still plugged in to the headset)
I just knew that I would see all kinds of damage when I got off. In regards to the proper technique to right a downed wing, trust me, when the adreniline is flowing from such an event you just grab it and stand it up!! Once it was on its stand I was gladly amazed that there was absolutely no damage to the bike!! The combination of sheer slick ice and well designed engine and saddlebag guards keppt it from any scratches except on the guards. I thanked my lucky stars and headed on to work. Fortunately for me, it all happened so quickly that no one saw me do it. When I got to work I was taking off my chaps and realized that I had burned the right side of my pants completely through. I gained a lot more respect for cold weather riding, still do it, just more cautious. Frank

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just joined and should be 123.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So you think the wing is easy to pick up huh? Guess you never tried to pick it up when you can't get to the low side. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dropped the wing due to some stupid mistake in the garage. The wing fell into the VTX which it turn fell on to the V Star. Oh what a mess, a pile of bikes and no way to get to the low side and use my legs to get the wing up, which was on top of the pile up. Finally resorted to getting help from my duaghter and my wife to right the wing then the X and then the Star. No major damage to any of them. I still have to listen to them tell the story about me dropping all of our bikes at one time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Fuzzy said:
So you think the wing is easy to pick up huh? Guess you never tried to pick it up when you can't get to the low side. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dropped the wing due to some stupid mistake in the garge. The wing fell into the VTX which it turn fell on to the V Star. Oh what a mess, a pile of bikes and no way to get to the low side and use my legs to get the wing up, which was on top of the pile up. Finally resorted to getting help from my duaghter and my wife to right the wing then the X and then the Star. No major damage to any of them. I still have to listen to them tell the story about me dropping all of our bikes at one time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh man ... that should be the new definition for
OUCH!!

my heart bleeds for ya buddy.

Dennis

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bulldog said:
It does not count, unless you did it in front of spectators!

Bulldog
Well, I dumped our '06 Wing pulling out of a gas station executing a slow hard right hander and had to hit the brakes to avoid an oncoming car....down she went with me, mom a full tank of fuel and a host of luggage onboard. All kinds of people came rushing up to help, but I wouldn't let anyone touch the bike; instead a little old 56 year old man (me) follows the rules/technique and ups the bike in a matter of a couple of minutes and we're off on our way.....people were just staring in disbelief so I guess we qualify?? I certainly don't want to do it again.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Actually, it kind of depends on what speed you are going when you drop it.

In this case, I was going 70. I could not find it to pick it up. I guess it dropped me.

A case of locking the wheels with no ABS. Prettiest bike I ever owned. I will one day again have this color on a Wing. I really lament not having this one any more. I rode it 90,286 miles until that day happened. It would have 236,000 miles on it today if I still had it.

I saw a new Shadow on the floor today that had an electric blue color. Hope it is a preview of the 08 color on the Wing. Amid all the other bikes on the floor, that one just looked like it glowed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys jinxed me. After reading this topic a few days ago I was glad not to be in the club. Well guess what? I'm in. :oops: I have a new full faced helmet and have discovered that when I need to spit with that helmet on it isn't easy to do. Had to spit, pulled up to stop light, leaned way over to spit, bike leans over against inside of thigh and keeps leaning, can't stop it so just helped it down as easy as I could. No damage.
Even better two guys in van behind me jump out and upright the bike, hold it for me and want me to get on it while they hold it for me. Oh Lord, they obviously think this poor fool can't handle his motorcycle and that he needs help.

I was trying to figure out how to get my butt low enough to push on the seat with it when they showed up. I'm not sure I could have used that technique. It didn't seem as easy as some people have described it to be.

Bank angle sensor works!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
First rule......
When the captain starts to flounder,
And the LAND YACHT Capsizes,
But the angle of the antenna mast,
Is still above the horizontal,
You can save you BEACHED WHALE,
If you put your back into it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tim Pinkston said:
You guys jinxed me. After reading this topic a few days ago I was glad not to be in the club. Well guess what? I'm in. :oops: I have a new full faced helmet and have discovered that when I need to spit with that helmet on it isn't easy to do. Had to spit, pulled up to stop light, leaned way over to spit, bike leans over against inside of thigh and keeps leaning, can't stop it so just helped it down as easy as I could. No damage.
Even better two guys in van behind me jump out and upright the bike, hold it for me and want me to get on it while they hold it for me. Oh Lord, they obviously think this poor fool can't handle his motorcycle and that he needs help.

I was trying to figure out how to get my butt low enough to push on the seat with it when they showed up. I'm not sure I could have used that technique. It didn't seem as easy as some people have described it to be.
Bank angle sensor works!
A little trick that I use sometimes is too lower my jeans and put my butt up to the seat, the skin to leather contact helps me get a better grip as I straighten my legs to raise the bike up. If there is a lot of traffic around it could get you some nasty looks.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
...signed up, so formally a member.

I have done this 1.5 times. The "1" was in the Rockies. Stopped in traffic (construction zone) on a banked road. Put my foot down, foot slid in gravel and we started to go (wife on back). We were plugged in and as we started down she asked me "what are you doing?" Our friends behind us laughed their butts off (until two days later he dumped his in the turnaround in front of a hotel...slick spot, finally got him quieted down).

The .5 one is still a mystery. Put the bike (I thought) on the side stand at the front of the driveway...walked all the way up the drive way and hear this CRASH. Turn to find the bike on it's side. Whole neighborhood comes running over. The point above about adrenaline is RIGHT! I ran down there, picked the puppy up and put her on the stand again (which was folded up...have to assume it wasn't all the way down). My wife counts this one but I say .5.

Bound to happen again one day...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wonder if it counts if you are not on the bike.

Last Fall I rode to work and to keep the bike looking new and the morning dew off, I put my full Dowco Cover on the bike in our parking lot at work.

Wouldn't you know, that night, we got one of those 50mph strait-line winds that come zooming accross Michigan. I watched helplessly from our second floor office window as the rain and wind was blowing on the bike, then all of a sudden the bike blows over opposite the kick stand side.

I could not believe my eyes, ran out and picked the bike up. Thanks to the well designed crash bars, I only got a little scratch on the saddle bag crash bar and a little scrape on the handle bar weight.

Amazing what you can lift when your adreniline is pumping at max.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts