GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: My question is: When riding in shorts, even for a short distance, your crus will be too hot (the thermometer shows in the middle) ), but the feeling in the crus is that the heat of the engine is too hot. You must wear long pants to ride.

The heat wave of the Honda Gold Wing's engine is too hot, and even the frame is very hot. Do you have this problem?

Thank you for answer! Have a good day!

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Not sure what you're asking, but welcome from SE Idaho. I have never known the engine heat from a Wing engine to be extreme, though I would recommend long pants anyway.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also not sure what you're asking, but having lived in west Houston area for 30 years I would say it's hot. Personally, humidity is the biggest issue. Even if I'm moving along at highway speed I sweat. When I lived in Dallas I didn't have this problem.

Is the GW too hot ride in Houston in shorts? I have no idea. If a short distance (pun intended) then probably not an issue. I'd recommend 50SPF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

I mean When air temp. is above around 90 degrees riding at 75 mph on the freeway the engine heat is overwhelming but guage is still below 1/2. Overwhelming engine temp has resulted in burnt legs, ...I wear shorts while riding. I will never ride in shorts again, I must wear long pants.

Do you have this problem? When riding in shorts.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You're not the first Marco to be headed to Houston! 😁 I've known of a few to ride in shorts, and while the engine does run cool, for an engine, it is still 190-200 degrees. That's hot for any bare legs. Yeah, getcha some long pants. In fact I wear tall boots and I am seldom bothered by excessive engine heat.

Welcome to the forum. What part of Houston?

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Doubt you would want to sit on top of your Prius engine half naked! Electric bike might be the answer to your problem!

Welcome to the forum.....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Make sure your foot warming vents are closed.

If that doesn't do the trick... the next best thing is a set of air wings:

I'm in Dallas, and like stated above... it's hot. I tend not to ride in the mid-summer as a result. I do gear up 95% of the time, but I've been known to make a quick run in shorts, so I understand the hot shins. ;)

Good luck, welcome to Texas, and be safe!

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies.

I just want to confirm that this is not a motorcycle problem, It's a normal phenomenon of riding.

Because even the frame is very hot, you can't touch it with your hands.

Have a good day!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you're riding a full size motorcycle wearing shorts, you've got bigger problems than too much heat on your legs. Visit a hospital and talk to a few motorcycle accident victims and hear what they say about protective gear.
Johnny S

1 - 12 of 12 Posts