GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying different items for my Goldwings for many years past, but now these days I am finding that I would rather buy from a local business.

The reason being, the price may be somewhat higher, same quality, no shipping charges, no handling fees, etc.

I wanted to purchase a set of highway pegs from our sponsor, advertised free shipping but the purchase wasn't over $100 so I would be not getting a 10% discount. Added fees for handling.

I guess it would be about the same if I purchased locally because I am going to pay the tax any way. Save on the handling charges and not have to wait for my item to arrive. Handling fees cost me more than what the shipping charges would be.

I will be purchasing my items locally or buying from a company that does not charge me a handling fee or sales taxes.

I am just disappointed....

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Ok.....now I'm curious. What highway pegs did you see on HDL for under $100?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I too have held off on purchases because the handling fees pushed the price to high.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You do what ya hafta do !

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have been buying different items for my Goldwings for many years past, but now these days I am finding that I would rather buy from a local business.

The reason being, the price may be somewhat higher, same quality, no shipping charges, no handling fees, etc.

I wanted to purchase a set of highway pegs from our sponsor, advertised free shipping but the purchase wasn't over $100 so I would be not getting a 10% discount. Added fees for handling.

I guess it would be about the same if I purchased locally because I am going to pay the tax any way. Save on the handling charges and not have to wait for my item to arrive. Handling fees cost me more than what the shipping charges would be.

I will be purchasing my items locally or buying from a company that does not charge me a handling fee or sales taxes.

I shop online for better pricing. It's a matter of being an educated shopper. I replaced the mirror housing on my bike. The local dealer gets $175 for it. I googled the item and found it for $135. The expected delivery date was the same, +/- 1 day.
Although it took the online company longer than they had promised, I did get the mirror ten days after placing the order. Will I order from them again? No for several reasons. Will I order more from Direct Line? Yes. They have price guarantees and they have wonderful service before/during/after the sale. I have had no problems with them.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have found an average of 40% plus difference from local, compared to net shopping

i am sure you can find one item, and make a case with handling charges to be close, but not on normal orders

plan ahead and buy a few things to make the break points

·
Registered
471 Posts

I buy both on line and at the local Honda shop (Cowboy Honda in Beaumont). Since I am a Member of the Local Honda Red Riders I get at least 10% off anything and sometimes 15% and They are always sending me coupons for discounts. I have even got my 10% from other Honda Dealers just because I own a Goldwing (East Side Honda in Baytown) SO I have bought most of my accessories local. Anything else comes from HAL......:yes1:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I buy both ways. Mostly on line from various places. Dropped my dealer yesterday and purchased an oil filter $15 bucks!! I stood in line for 15 Min's and then, and yes I timed the guy, it took him 8 Min's to find the part number. For an oil filter! I also wanted one of those support clips for the valve stem, and I finally had to go around the counter, and show it to him on the schematics. Not a clue :shrug:

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have found an average of 40% plus difference from local, compared to net shopping

i am sure you can find one item, and make a case with handling charges to be close, but not on normal orders

plan ahead and buy a few things to make the break points
:agree:

Throw in an oil filter or two, you will allways need one eventually.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Wait until Der Leader impliments interweb sales taxes. :popcorn:
I always feel dishonest filing my personal income tax return not claiming these non taxed purchases. South Carolina wants that missed tax. I think every state should charge 5%, not more, not less. It is just part of purchasing. :shrug:

Now if you are talking about a Federal tax, I am all for it if the income tax stops. Illegals buy lots of diapers, and they wouldn't get out of paying their fair share that way. :yes1:

Herb

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I buy where I find the best prices. Was looking on line for AlpineStars 1-1 MC boots. Cheapest on line was $139 before shipping, taxes etc. Went to local dealer, Freehold Honda in Jersey and they had them for $109. $117 out the day. Doesn't always work that way..........

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

I don't know what it costs Hal to provide this forum to us. Do you?

So far, I have found his prices more or less competitive. I appreciate DLP!

·
Registered
466 Posts
:congrats:Now you've gone and done it. They'll be coming out of the woodwork attacking you for defaming all that's right and holy!!!:eek:4:

When you buy locally you have someone to work with if there are problems. And you're supporting local folks who support other local folks and that makes your local economy stronger. I look online to verify prices, then go to my local dealer and pay his price. If he can match or beat the online price, great. But if not that's Ok too. I have found very few online retailers who are truly worth the effort, so I'll stay with my local dealer as well.

Now I'll just sit back and watch the ridiculous fireworks!!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Why, that is disgraceful! The nerve of Hal trying to defray the cost of handling an order of less than $100 (while not charging a dime for shipping)! And placing a lower limit on the frequent sales! My goodness, they even foist their overstock and last-years inventories on us at greatly reduced prices! Then they have the nerve to offer a price match plus deal! How can they expect to stay in business?

I guess the answer is informed shoppers that like the service, prices, and people of HDL.:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I always feel dishonest filing my personal income tax return not claiming these non taxed purchases. South Carolina wants that missed tax. I think every state should charge 5%, not more, not less. It is just part of purchasing. :shrug:

Now if you are talking about a Federal tax, I am all for it if the income tax stops. Illegals buy lots of diapers, and they wouldn't get out of paying their fair share that way. :yes1:

Herb
It sounds as though you would favor either a flat tax or the Fair Tax. I recommend that you study both. Warning. Our elected employees are afraid of both because the unwashed masses would see the taxes they pay.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
:congrats:Now you've gone and done it. They'll be coming out of the woodwork attacking you for defaming all that's right and holy!!!:eek:4:

When you buy locally you have someone to work with if there are problems. And you're supporting local folks who support other local folks and that makes your local economy stronger. I look online to verify prices, then go to my local dealer and pay his price. If he can match or beat the online price, great. But if not that's Ok too. I have found very few online retailers who are truly worth the effort, so I'll stay with my local dealer as well.

Now I'll just sit back and watch the ridiculous fireworks!!
I too like to support local enterprise but only to the extent that they earn my support/business. They are not "entitled" to my money.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'll normally give a local guy the chance to come within reason on prices.. I never expect they'll match or beat the price, but they've surprised me more than once..
IMHO it's worth a few $$$ to support a local business that treats me right.. If the difference is more than 20% though, I'll shop online...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I started buying from Hal when I had my Shadow 10 or so years ago. Now that I live in FL I pay tax so that makes me think twice. I also have brought a "web price" into my local dealer and they matched it.

I like the idea of sponsoring Hal but my first loyalty is to MY wallet...if I can buy from Hal (during a sale and if I need enough stuff to avoid the $$ fees) fine. Otherwise, sadly I find alternatives. I guess I'm pretty much done with major purchases and WISH I could buy another warranty from him but can't 'cause I'm in FL...still don't understand that. Oh well.:roll:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

My goodness, my good fellow! If you're disappointed in Hal's (or anyone else's prices), how do you deal with your everyday life? Get a grip dude! You are evidently smart enough to shop the HDL website and log onto this site to let us know how "disappointed" you are; so why not "shop" for the best price whether it be your local dealer, or here, or upper Bumfuches Slovania and then log onto to here to let us know how happy you are to have found the latest and bestest deal around?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I hate shopping even on the computer. But I would rather sit here and do it than go into a store so I buy everything online except for clothes which I can get my wife to go out and get for me. I'm sure that with the shipping charges I pay more sometimes but I can sit here at 4:00 am and get it done. Worth a couple extra bucks to me.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts