GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed several products manufactured by Kuryakin and have found that there chroming process really SUCKS! They have must have cut back on the quality of their chroming process becasue everything that I get from them starts to peel in a very short time.

4050 Highway pegs, 1 year old, cleaned after every ide and have ptted and peeled. Rust in bolt areas, no matter how you clean them.

Ring of Fire; Recent set of ROF that I purchased(brand new from dealer) had a bad wiring harness that went out after only 3 weeks. They only paid for the parts NOT the LABOR to fix their bad wiring. If I had had them for at least a year or more I could understand this BUT 3 WEEKS!

Have seen their new 3 hole design traight tips, peel in a very short time. They will blister and peel.

What ever happened to the quality of their products?

I will NEVER buy another product from them! Or anything else that carries their name. It is just JUNK!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I totally agree. If you want to ride not polish "stay away from K"
Less than 2 years and all of it is crap. The grips are even peeling to were I cut my hand.
TR :evil:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
This is not encouraging news, I have most of Kury's "ISO" stuff on my bike, 4056 hi-way pegs, Iso-grips, replacement pegs.

I just have a VERY small amount of surface rust on the bolts to the 4056's SO FAR, but it's only been on the bike a year :shock:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Trikeman: Man, I was "dismayed" to read what you said about the Kury products..... I have an 02 GL1800 and installed the Kury 3-hole exhaust tips, the 4056 highway pegs, and the Kury replacement stock pegs, and the "transformer" passenger floorboards for my short wife...... did all this at the start of the 2003 summer.. If the chrome starts to peel, I sure won't buy any more Kury products..... I paid lots of money for all this stuff. I have noticed that I have to get out the ol' allen wrench every so often and tighten the 3-hole screws that hold the 3-hole face on the exhaust tips..... Ride safe... Stobby.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Not only does Kury's Chrome suck, but so does the fitment of some of the products.

As long as we are talking about sucking, ever try dealing with there "customer dis service"?

But on a lot of items, if we dont buy Kury, we aint gettin nuttin!

Sucks being us.

Bulldog

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the after market chrome I have bought has sucked except the Honda tail pipe turn downs. Does anyone know if the Honda line rotor covers last any longer since they are steel instead of plastic? Ron :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well. my Hondaline rotor covers are three years old and have no rust whatsoever. They've been exposed to some minor road salt and, as I live on a dirt road, calcium chloride that keeps the dust down. They still look great. Now, the plastic lower cowl? That's another story. I have my second one on as of last fall. The first got the lower lip chewed to hades and back.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you asked about the rotor covers...I bought some from Chrome World and they are the plastic ones. The chrome is starting to pit and it won't be long before I will have to replace those as well. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for the Hondaline metal chrome ones. Even for what I paid for them and replacing them, I come out cheaper than the Hondaline. I guess the old adage is true....Pay more...get less,,,it's the american way!
Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I usually do more reading than posting, but I have to sing out on this one. My Kury highway pegs flaked and peeled and they are less than six months old. I have sent thier customer service numerous emails and several phone calls without a single reply. Never again. I will do without before I buy from such a low-rate company. Thanks for letting me spout.
Roy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Now Guys:

I've owned a bunch of Kury parts, the only thing I've ever had an issue with is the brake pedal for the 1800. I had a brake pad fall off and disappear. They mailed me replacements at no charge.

Have you tried calling customer service and giving them a chance to make things right?

-David

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
David, you wrote:

"Have you tried calling customer service and giving them a chance to make things right?"

I have called their customer service three times. Each call I am put on hold for several minutes then automatically sent to a voice mail to leave a message, which I have done each time. I have also sent several emails. I have not recieved one single reply. That speaks volumes about a company.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"I've owned a bunch of Kury parts, the only thing I've ever had an issue with is the brake pedal for the 1800. I had a brake pad fall off and disappear. They mailed me replacements at no charge. "
Me too. Also, one of the rubber treads fell off the transformer boards as well. Fortunately, I found THAT piece. The brake pedal pad was gone forever.

I got all my Kury stuff thru my dealer and they handled the exchanges, etc. for no charge.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have all Kury pegs ,Transformer boards,and exaust tips. with the exception of the exaust tips,I have not had a problem. The exaust tips were bought from HDL. When they started to blister I called HDL and they gave me a number and a name to contact at Kury.I got nothing but curtieus and prompt help from them.They sent a new set of tips as soon as they were avalable. I have 36,000+ on the bike.
Mick :yw1:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Just curious here. Have you guys who are disgruntled with Kury parts and customer 'service' done product reviews at Hal's site? It seems to me that would be one good way of warning folks like me to steer clear. I've barely begun to chrome out my 1800 - don't even have a luggage rack yet, but I'm in no big hurry. In any case, thanks for the heads up.

John in Vegas

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HAL

I would like to know who HAL is want to buy some products , thanks

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
RP,

Hal is the big Kahuna. If you want to shop in his store, Just look up and to the right a bit. Click on "DIRECT LINE" then go to the 1800 candy store.

Welcome aboard.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had problems with the fit of both the mudflap when placed next to the 3 hole exhaust tips. Because of the mounting bracket, they fit too close together and the mudflap will melt. I sent the old one back to K. and they replaced EVERYTHING and sent a new bracket to offset the mudflap better with no problems from customer service. I have had great success with Ks. The chrome on the muffler extension is peeling because they didn't put an extension on the actual muffler pipe. They also sent me new tips with the extension on the tailpipe to direct the heat away from the exhaust extensions. This should solve the problem. As far as customer service, they treated me great.
David Cowan

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a problem with the Kury trunk and saddlebag LED lites and I called them and they sent me a new one for the trunk. All that happend was that the lite fell back in. They sent me a new one that all the lites were glued in. I still haven't returned the old ones yet...It's been a yr or so, bad me. I did have to pay to have them reinstalled. I have a lot of their products and i guess i had better go look and see if anything has started to peel.
Thanks for the heads up.

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kuryakyn Products

I've bought their stuff for years, only because some of their products are innovative and no one else makes them. The chrome work is generally poor and the design is suspect, as with the original Ergo pegs. Now I find myself up-dating to Ergo II because of the unsafe design.

Back in the mid-90's I bought a hydraulic brake reservoir cover for my Harley and had to return it because the chrome was flawed. I bought mirrors but they never stayed put and spun around on me. You think I would learn. I'm sure most of their stuff is made off-shore. Better to pay more for a quality made product, if you can find it, and then never have to worry about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts