GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start out by saying that this really will not be considered a "loss" as I want my phone connected and used through my Zumo 595, not the bike.... I wanted to see what Android Auto brings to the table.

I finally got the update downloaded (failed many, many, many times to transfer). The install went fine, no errors or anything on the bike. I downloaded Android Auto and connected it all up. I keep getting either "stop the bike and follow directions on phone to use Android Auto" or "Android Auto failed to connect" (paraphrased as this is the less frequent message). The phone has no instructions, but I may get a complaint that I have not give permissions to "phone" and fails to connect, or worse, a red screen that it stopped working. A permission issue is not the case as "ALL" permissions were granted, there is nothing left to grant. I have even "reset Android Auto" on the bike settings many times, set "ipod" and "carplay" back and forth many times (which only adds or removes Apple Play from the "reset settings" list. There is nothing new on the screen for phone apps like I would suspect.

Now, I will not really be following this thread much, but I am sure I will not be the only Android person beating their heads against the wall with this. If anyone has some screen shots of what we are supposed to be seeing with Android Auto (NOT Apple, use another thread for that), please post.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
My issue with AA is that it seems to want to reboot when using voice commands at times..happened 3 times on my last ride..other times it seems to work..also the controls to operate AA are just so clumsy...love the music apps that play through AA and Wase though..you can even continue to listen to the AA music app even when you go back to the Honda map.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Has anyone found a way to connect a Bluetooth device <<< link' to the bike and just use Android Auto Maps? Even better to keep the Bluetooth device plugged in via a USB Splitter <<< link' to keep it charged?

All I want is Android Auto, I don't care if I have a microphone hooked up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used AA on a trip to Mich this past weekend. The one feature that I was hoping would be there was weather radar. Without that, AA is just another way to access streaming audio.
The thrill is gone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used AA on a trip to Mich this past weekend. The one feature that I was hoping would be there was weather radar. Without that, AA is just another way to access streaming audio.
The thrill is gone.
What about the weather app? Just tap and Google assistant gives you the latest for your location.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
AA weather radar discussion (AA doesn't permit moving radar)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have tried Apple car play but it’s not worth it to me.
I just pair with my Sena {why do I need a middle man’s problems} and away I go.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I have tried Apple car play but it’s not worth it to me.
I just pair with my Sena {why do I need a middle man’s problems} and away I go.
AA or ACP only required if you want to run one of the apps that are not available without them.

Bike navi, phone integration, xm, fm/am, cb, bike-to-bike Bt, rider/passenger intercom, audio feed via usb phone or thumb drive all are fine without it.

Google maps and waze seem to be the apps that attracts many.

·
Banned
435 Posts
CP/AA is worth it just for controlling the music, imo. Add in things like messaging integration and it's awesome. In my car I use the vehicle navigation since it integrates with my instrument cluster and HUD... But I still plug my phone in and enable CP on each drive for the audio/messaging functions.

I won't buy another vehicle without it. And CP was one of the features that pulled me to a GW instead of a BMW K1600GTL.

·
Registered
355 Posts
AA or ACP only required if you want to run one of the apps that are not available without them.

Bike navi, phone integration, xm, fm/am, cb, bike-to-bike Bt, rider/passenger intercom, audio feed via usb phone or thumb drive all are fine without it.

Yep, gotta have Waze.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a 5 year old F150. I like ACP and AA so much that I am going to purchase a newer entertainment system for around $1000 to have it in my truck too. Yep, it is that good.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Only good if they work and mine don't! have tried for two weeks and have yet to get Android auto working...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm kinda confused here, or maybe just computer language challenged.
It has been stated that AA will not allow animated screens like weather radar. How does it allow an animated map that shows your progress down a highway? I Think both are merely snapshots.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Google provides exceptions for apps that they own, namely google maps and waze.
It isn't a technology limitation, it's an approval limitation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting. It's not like the rider would be watching a movie.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you remember the good 'ole days when you threw a leg over the bike, fired it up and only heard the engine and the wind? And you had to refer to a paper map in your tank bag?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Only good if they work and mine don't! have tried for two weeks and have yet to get Android auto working...
I can't say much about AA but assume that the requirements and procedures are the same. Helmets connect to bike. It takes a 1/2 minute for helmets to completely connect even after the helmets show on dash panel. Even though some cables are fine for charging, they are not suitable for transferring data reliably. I have purchased cheap cables and if they work, they seem to fail too soon. If you have the Android Auto installed on phone, make sure that your screen is lit up before attaching data/power cable to phone. Do not have bluetooth connection of phone. If this does not work, make sure you have shut off phone and turned it back on. Be sure your phone as capability for AA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 5 year old F150. I like ACP and AA so much that I am going to purchase a newer entertainment system for around $1000 to have it in my truck too. Yep, it is that good.
If you pick the right unit, you can use it wirelessly. Just something to consider as you shop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts