GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Automakers are now starting to release 'wireless' versions of ACP/AA too. Gotta keep up with aftermarket....

Those I've looked at, it seems to depend on what trim level is on the vehicle. (of course, higher trims getting the wireless version)

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I can't say much about AA but assume that the requirements and procedures are the same. Helmets connect to bike. It takes a 1/2 minute for helmets to completely connect even after the helmets show on dash panel. Even though some cables are fine for charging, they are not suitable for transferring data reliably. I have purchased cheap cables and if they work, they seem to fail too soon. If you have the Android Auto installed on phone, make sure that your screen is lit up before attaching data/power cable to phone. Do not have bluetooth connection of phone. If this does not work, make sure you have shut off phone and turned it back on. Be sure your phone as capability for AA.
There are also AA settings on the phone that impact how it will behave when it is connected.

With phone in hand (and not connected to a vehicle) bring up AA and got to 'settings'.

Both my Samsung S7 and LG G7 will connect and launch AA without the screen being on at the time the cord is connected.

EDIT to add: With the Bt on phone shut-off at time of cord connection, the bike/phone establish a Bt connection as well as starting up AA. (the connection process turns on br on phone, the top line of bike screen will show the 2nd indicator triangle by the bt symbol)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I tried to get AA going on my 2019 F-150. It has the feature but my phone just wouldn't connect. I took the truck to the Ford dealer and got one of the salesmen to try it. He messed with it for about 45 minutes then decided my USB port was faulty and I should bring it in for repair. Made appointment, took it in this morning. After 4 hours in the bay with two guys messing with it, determined the Sync 3 unit was faulty. Put one on order. Still under full warranty.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Someone reminded me of something that I did try..... Using the USB cable that came with the phone instead of a potentiality cheap one that may have issues made no difference in getting past my problems. I have seen cables that did OK for charging only and crap for data. The last cable I tried works great moving pics between phone and computer.

Seeing the screen looks promising for extra tools, but without weather radar; I will again keep my phone connected to my Zumo and get weather radar, forecasts, traffic, location tracking, etc. on it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't feel like the lone "stranger". ACP has it's problems too. Sometimes disconnects for no reason while riding (no loose cables), and says helmet headset needs to be connected first, when it already shows connected. Welcome to modern consumer electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only good if they work and mine don't! have tried for two weeks and have yet to get Android auto working...
My two cents worth. I was also at my wits end and eventually came down to the cable. I had tried at least a half dozen, always buying the cheapest (a cable is a cable, right) Eventually bit the bullet and bought a top of the range cable. Can you believe it, works great now. Type C cables (especially made in China) are very fussy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't feel like the lone "stranger". ACP has it's problems too. Sometimes disconnects for no reason while riding (no loose cables), and says helmet headset needs to be connected first, when it already shows connected. Welcome to modern consumer electronics.
I have the some problem, but I believe the problem is in the headset, not in the bike system.
Using Sena 20s, it happens very often. Using Sena 50s with the same connection...never...
Try to reset your headset or try another one.
With the new updates it connects automatically. No plug in and plug out....
Once connected it stays connected.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Automakers are now starting to release 'wireless' versions of ACP/AA too. Gotta keep up with aftermarket....

Those I've looked at, it seems to depend on what trim level is on the vehicle. (of course, higher trims getting the wireless version)
I am an Android user.
Latest updates for AA and my Samsung Zflip, works just fine...
But...I am still using my Iphone Xs, left in the bike all the time.
There are 2 reasons for that.
First. I can not afford to forget my Samsung into the bike and get stolen or missing calls.
. Loosing the phone or missing calls is not good for me (running business).
. I will rather loose my Iphone, which has a separate number and I can still use to call.
Second. Android doesn't support Sygic, which doesn't need mobile phone reception to work.
. Works as a GPS and never stops. And I have speed warning and cameras warning.
For now I am connecting my bike as a GPS to my Sena 50s, and my Samsung as a phone.
Everything works OK ... till wireless Bluetooth connection arrives.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My two cents worth. I was also at my wits end and eventually came down to the cable. I had tried at least a half dozen, always buying the cheapest (a cable is a cable, right) Eventually bit the bullet and bought a top of the range cable. Can you believe it, works great now. Type C cables (especially made in China) are very fussy.
I am using only braided magnetic cables. The brand is Remix.
Just plug Type C, Lightening or mini USB into your phone or headset and leave them there.
Then using the same magnetic cable you can just quickly attach it to the unit and it works.
I have direct 12V USB connection in my top box and my helmet stays there always charged.
I am charging my phone when I need from the same cable.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have to agree with that. A good quality cable goes a long way and saves a lot of aggravation. Don't discount using some of theses "cheap" cables as pretty much ALL do come off the same assembly line in one of the Republic of China countries. Always look for the HSC insignia on the packaging as you will be assured of getting the best quality knock-offs and counterfeit products. The insignia guarantees your product was manufactured in the HungLow province and was certified by Harry S. Chung, the Minister of Commerce. That said, I really never had any issues with cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you remember the good 'ole days when you threw a leg over the bike, fired it up and only heard the engine and the wind? And you had to refer to a paper map in your tank bag?
I do. A buddy and I did a road trip from Wisconsin > New Orleans > Los Angeles > Seattle > Wisconsin back in the day. Only map was a two-page US highway map of the whole country. This was 1978, so pre cell phone days. We didn't even have credit cards. Stayed off the Interstates except in cases where they were the only roads we can find ... well and from Sturgis back to Madison. (We were kind of sick of each other by that point.) Anyway, b206driver is so right that the adventure is part of the deal. However, I do recognize that GPS and weather radar are useful for when you're DRIVING rather than EXPLORING.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will start out by saying that this really will not be considered a "loss" as I want my phone connected and used through my Zumo 595, not the bike.... I wanted to see what Android Auto brings to the table.

I finally got the update downloaded (failed many, many, many times to transfer). The install went fine, no errors or anything on the bike. I downloaded Android Auto and connected it all up. I keep getting either "stop the bike and follow directions on phone to use Android Auto" or "Android Auto failed to connect" (paraphrased as this is the less frequent message). The phone has no instructions, but I may get a complaint that I have not give permissions to "phone" and fails to connect, or worse, a red screen that it stopped working. A permission issue is not the case as "ALL" permissions were granted, there is nothing left to grant. I have even "reset Android Auto" on the bike settings many times, set "ipod" and "carplay" back and forth many times (which only adds or removes Apple Play from the "reset settings" list. There is nothing new on the screen for phone apps like I would suspect.

Now, I will not really be following this thread much, but I am sure I will not be the only Android person beating their heads against the wall with this. If anyone has some screen shots of what we are supposed to be seeing with Android Auto (NOT Apple, use another thread for that), please post.
I had similar problems with how it initiated AA on the bike. tried lots of options until the following worked for me:
Deleted AA from my phone. re-downloaded the AA app, never opened it. Turned bike on, turned bluetooth on. Bike finds phone and finds headset (they were paired previously). wait a minute, plug in the phone to the USB cable. AA fires up, run thru the prompts, permissions, it now connects. for me, it was deleting AA from the phone and waiting a moment until after the bluetooth paired before i plugged it in. and now i love AA. makes me feel like i got the bike i paid for. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have always used android phone and other devices and they work well for me. I see not reason to connect to android auto even though I now have that option with the latest update installed. I make and receive calls with my Cardo without issue, listen to music of my choice(radio or USB flash drive and the Honda Navigation is good enough for my use. I access my phone contacts from my phone without having the phone hooked up(hard wire) to the system. I like my current setup so I'll keep it easy. JMO.

Fred

21 - 34 of 34 Posts