GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:Of course that is a euphamism, but........so as some of you might have read on the tech page, had a clicking coming from the front end. Went in and found out that my brake pads were shot, so I replaced them. Turns out the clicking is a bearing going out. Ok, got one on order from DLP. Now to the reason for this rant.......so I am standing in the garage yesterday, putting air in the tires of my wifes bike and the neighbors kid comes over and starts talking to me. Now he is 5, so I understand he ain't supposed to know much at that age. He is standing there looking at my bike with the front fender disassembled. He mom is calling him and I am calling her to tell him that he is over at my house, and to please come and get him. He reaches down and starts pulling on the rubber boot that covers the slide pin on the left side caliper. I am yelling at him not to touch stuff, his mom is yelling at him to come home, and he is just laughing as he pulls the boot out of the hole.:eek: He drops it and takes off running. Well of course the d*mn thing aint going back through the hole the way it came out. I will have to take the banjo bolt loose to slide the caliper off of the bracket and see if I can squeeze is back in the hole. Not to mention that I will have to bleed the front brakes after loosing the banjo bolt. Jeez lady, keep your kids on a leash!:shrug:
Don't get me wrong, I understand kids will be kids......but I never let my kids go to someone elses house and tear something up. By the way, mine are 16 and 11 now. So hopefully they are past that age. LOL

Ok, rant off........

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I'm sure the little guy didn't know he was doing any harm to your bike.
Go have a talk with his parents, and let them know there are things at your house that can cause harm to their little guy, and to keep him home for his safety.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I don't like other people's kids, especially small ones and especially the ones who have crappy excuses for parents.

My neighbors know this so kids don't come around "the bad man's house". ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
HA! I can relate! When my kids were that age my nickname with the moms of the neighborhood was Sarge! It was not unusual for me to have some kid pulling weeds, sweeping the garage, washing windows for pulling crap like that. We had the most level yard on the street, so it was the gathering place for the kids. But when I pulled in they would scatter and I could hear the mothers yelling at their kids, "Here come Sarge!" More than once it was the mother I was asking to get in line (because of their kids). My kids are now 18 and 19 and have turned out to be great kids! We are very blessed!

·
Registered
267 Posts
she needs to get a invisable fence around her house, that should keep him home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go have a talk with his parents, and let them know there are things at your house that can cause harm to their little guy, and to keep him home for his safety.
What part of "don't do that" does a 5 year old not understand? My guess is one/both of his parents thinks it is cute given the grin and rapid departure...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
No reason to kill the kid...

Just let him know that if touches ANYTHING of yours, you will remove his fingers with the hedge clippers up there on the garage wall, or better yet while trimming "Finger-sized" rose bush branches with said clippers.

Nothing like instilling a little fear into someone so young, might help him grow up to be better citizen...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That would be the best idea, even though some mean thoughts would enter my mind.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Fold the boot in on itself. Hard to explain.

Try to fold it into a V, so you have an inverted V in the boot on one side, reduces the diameter of it and it will slip right back in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fold the boot in on itself. Hard to explain.

Try to fold it into a V, so you have an inverted V in the boot on one side, reduces the diameter of it and it will slip right back in.

Ahh, I see what you are saying, but the problem is the pin is in the hole and it has to go inside the boot. The only way to to that is to pull the bracket, so that the pin is not taking up the space in the hole.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
"Hey Mr. Wilson!"

The little bootie can be pushed back in with patience and some rubber lube (soap/water mix) and the spray straw from your WD-40 can or what have you. Tease it back in there.

To get along with kids, you don't have to be smarter than they are, just trickier. "Hey Dennis, your mom says if you don't home quick, she is gonna eat your ice cream sandwich." Or, "Holy Moley, look at the size of the spider on that motorcycle! Pick it up and see if it bites."

prs

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I don't have any children, and damn sure don't want my neighbors kids coming around. I've always had dogs. They bark at kids. I tell kids that the dogs sometimes bite because they are very protective. Fortunately there are no small kids close to my house now, but I have had to deal with them in the past. My dogs don't like kids either (did I say either? :shrug:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
When I am out working in the garage I usually have Duke out there with me with a huge spiked collar on him. He is still a puppy at 140 lbs. Now he wouldn't hurt a flea and would probably lick the neighbor kids to death, but they don't know that.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
When you saw him coming into your work area you should tell him to stay back so he doesn't get hurt, If they don't mind, take them by the hand and walk them out of your work area.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
He will probably grow up to be a teriffic motorcycle mechanic, unless of course you make a big deal of it and then who knows, reality TV show contestant?

Take the two halves apart, they just slide and reinsert the boot, replace the halves and re-mount.
Not worth the hassle.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Don't be too harsh. Be his best friend.

Little kids are inquisitive by nature and like to have things explained.

A few years from now, when you're looking for someone to help you pick up your GW* that you dropped in the driveway, he'll run right over. :thumbup:

*trikes excluded.

·
Trained Killer Member
1,533 Posts
I don't like other people's kids, especially small ones and especially the ones who have crappy excuses for parents.

My neighbors know this so kids don't come around "the bad man's house". ;)
Thanks for the chuckle Paulster!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My problem is with neighbors dog. Have had a couple that would come into my shop and carry off my tools. Pellet gun cured that problem, after no results from talking with the owners. Wouldn't recommend that with the kid.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts