GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you removed the oem mufflers and installed louder mufflers in an attempt to match the "Harley sound?" If so what brand did you use? We all know the Wings are quite but nearly all of my club members ride Harleys so I was just wondering and no, I am not trading for a Harley. lol:roll:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
It would be impossible to acheve the "Harley" sound with the wing. The potato-potato sound comes from the single pin crank and two large pistons rotating slowly. The wings flat six revs at a different lope than the vtwin. Honda did come close with the Honda Ace with the single crank twin...same reason most metric cruisers don't sound like a Harley, even with straight pipes...different motor design..
I did hear a 1500 wing with Jardene mufflers, sounded like a British sports car...cool.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Why I would NEVER!:thumbup::cool:;):joke:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheels, heres a good un....

Wing owner told me one time he had a tape of a Harley and played it over his Wing radio real loud. Said everyone was looking but couldn't figure it out. lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's funny!
I have a Road King Classic as my "other" bike.
I'll have to try that ...... just for grins ..... :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tsk tsk

eh eh eh,,,, Don't forget Wheels,, there those of us that have had our doors blown off,, err uhh,,, been passed by you on the interstate,, in Nashville, so we know what yours sounds like......:bow:

Why I would NEVER!:thumbup::cool:;):joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Wing owner told me one time he had a tape of a Harley and played it over his Wing radio real loud. Said everyone was looking but couldn't figure it out. lol
Rode with a guy that would do the same thing. Funny as could be to see the looks on faces when he pulled into a gas station.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
eh eh eh,,,, Don't forget Wheels,, there those of us that have had our doors blown off,, err uhh,,, been passed by you on the interstate,, in Nashville, so we know what yours sounds like......:bow:
Bathroom . . . . yea . . . that was it. Bathroom break. That was what made me do it.:bow::eek:4::cool::shock::duck::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have a friend who swapped out the OEM for the loud mufflers that MotorTrike sells. Don't know who makes them. He kept them on for one ride and off they came. I rode it. Only Gold Wing I ever rode that I couldn't wait to get off. Major headache in no time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I had some riding buddies that bought loud pipes at a rally. The vendor had a large sign that said "No Refunds because of noise". I told everybody that was an omen.

To make a long story short, my wife just had to be like everyone else. She walked up and made an appointment and paid for them.

I rode the 120 miles home, jacked the bike up and pulled the mufflers off and had them in the trashcan by 9 pm that same night. $260 pissed away.

Next time you want noise, take your helmet off, open all the wings and vents, turn off the radio and ride 75 mph for a couple of hours. If you don't like that, you won't like the loud mufflers.

BTW....It's been against Federal law to change mufflers on motorcycles since 1982. $10,000 fine. Just maybe Mr. Obama can figure out how to balance the budget by ticketing loud Harleys..................

·
Registered
428 Posts
I drilled out my stock CSC exhaust from apprx 3/8" hole to 5/8" hole. It is still very throaty, but seems a bit less drone on the highway. When riding it today I noticed it got to 5500 rpm much more easily. You can read about this and see the pics here http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293627 The thread and pics will explain themselves.

The CSC exhaust is proprietary and to me sounds great. I think the turn downs help with this, like having megaphones on an exhaust system. Need to make a sound clip sometime.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My friend and CSC dealer took a set of Cobras off a Wing so he could install a CSC kit (it comes with mufflers that fit the kit). I put them on and love them. Not too loud and a GREAT sound.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noise

NH is trying to pass a law on noise for ALL vehicles from 106 to 86 dcls. They are trying to get rid of loud cars and motorcycles on the roads. We Wings don't have a problem, but a lot of other motorcycles will have a problem passing the new rule if passed. I know they have tested motorcycles in Dover and are always doing testing and ticketing at Hampton Beach. I think the new law will force inspection stations to buy a sound meter to test all vehicles when they come in for inspection.
So, if you live in NH be aware they may pass this new law.

Reagrds,

Rosy
From NH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts