GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for any of you who pay attention to my posts, you know I have been pretty vocal about some of Hondas pricing strategies - like forcing us to buy the halleluya package to get ABS, the recent price increase, crappy front suspension etc. I've actually visited the BMW dealership a few times recently and been a lurker on their forum.

On Wednesday morning of this week, I sent my dealer an e-mail asking about the price increase. The owner of the dealer has been something of a friend of mine for about 27 years now.

To cut to the bottom line, about six hours and five e-mails later I had committed to buy a new motorcycle. He made me a very fair deal to trade my 05 for an 09 with everything except air bag.

My wife and I picked it up this morning. It's about a 40 mile ride home, and so far I really like it. The suspension does not seem as harsh as my 05, and everything is basically just a little better feeling. Some of what I feel is certainly because it's new, and some I think is that it really is a better bike in some subtle ways.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
The first thing to do is, put some good polish on the wheels! That's a beautiful wing, congrats!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Congrats. I like your choice of colors. Enjoy

·
15 year Member
6,756 Posts
Any Man that goes to a dealership with the "I am NOT going to buy a bike unless I set the price" "I'm not gonna let some "dealer" shove me around!! But when they dangle that purdy Dark Cherry Red metallic Wing in front of you, your eyes kinda glaze over and you start writting checks with a big "first kiss" silly grin on your face !!! LOL

CONGRATS... Honda DOES have a great marketing Strategie... they make a BEAUTIFUL DEPENABLE BIKE!! Just ask Tom Finch!!

Matt(BCNV) :joke:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Congrats on the new wing Jim, looks like a real LEO Performance Award grabber! :lol: I have always been partial to red, very nice.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
:thumbup: :congrats:
Nothing like a brand new Wing to perk up the ole spirts.

·
Vendor
21,413 Posts
See, I told ya crow isn't all that bad.

Congrats. I know you'll love it. My 2009 sure seems to run a lot nicer now that I have almost 3K miles on it. It seems to run quite a bit quieter than the 2002 did, and has noticeably more power as well. It also doesn't ping like the 2002 did. I'm wondering if the ECU mapping has been altered for the ignition timing. I would agree with you about the subtle improvements. I have noticed quite a few. The comfort package sure is nice on the those cold morning, and I used the weather radar today to dodge some rain that popped up this morning.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first thing to do is, put some good polish on the wheels! That's a beautiful wing, congrats!
I agree. I spent a couple of hours working on it after I got home, including installing fog lights. I kept looking at that damned front wheel and how bad it looked. I do have all the polishing stuff and will get on it right away - I promise!

But the dealer had a set of chrome wheels - I made the mistake of asking how much they where with my wife standing right there. What the hell was I thinking!:-(

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See, I told ya crow isn't all that bad.

Congrats. I know you'll love it. My 2009 sure seems to run a lot nicer now that I have almost 3K miles on it. It seems to run quite a bit quieter than the 2002 did, and has noticeably more power as well. It also doesn't ping like the 2002 did. I'm wondering if the ECU mapping has been altered for the ignition timing.
Hi Fred! I'm about to go back and re-read all of your posts on the nav!

One think I noticed is a high pitched whine from the engine that is rpm sensitive - do you know what that is? My 05 did not do that at all.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have another question, how does the trial period of the XM get activated? I am getting a message on the display asking if I want to subscribe. Am I supposed to agree to that to get the trial?

What I want is the trial period, but not a commitment to pay (long story, I've had problems with XM in the past and finally cancelled three cars I had activated - swore I would never go back).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts