GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip to Laughlin, Nevada, we stopped for lunch and when I returned to the Wing, I notice the right side cap that screws into the throttle grip was gone.

About an hour later, while riding at about 95mph, I felt something hit my right leg and when I investigated I found ther right heater vent vanished.

Please tell me these motorcycles are built better than this!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LOL

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dawg, truer words were never spoken. And I did ride it. I just get a might upset when I toss out 23k for a motorcycle that's supposed to be the flagship of Honda's MC division, and sh$t be fallin off it. Hell, I paid more for that Wing then the ol ladies Civic.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Shooters they should be covered under you warranty. I know that doesn't especially make you feel better but its cheaper than buying those pieces again. Joy

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that's true Yellow, however I called the dealer and they said they had to have the bike in front of them to warranty anything. I think the parts were about 25.00 so I just ordered em from Hal and am waiting for them to arrive.

Even though they are a warranty item, you have to arrange time to get the bike to the dealer before they will even order anything, even if you have the part numbers handy, so basically you make two trips. oh well, what can ya do.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I went over my bike after purchase I found the right side bar end weight screw pretty loose. Luckily I caught it in time. Found a few other bolts/screws loose too. I don't think this is uncommon.

Chris

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to agree that it's a common issue. Which in my opinion is some serious horse pooh since we pay those guys a prep/set up fee which is included in the purchase price of the bike. So basically, they aren't doing the job and we as the consumer are getting the high hard one! Sad.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Might take it back, make them warrenty the lost items and demand your setup fee back, or a credit for the setup fee towards service or other parts.. :x

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
loose stuff

OR..........you could just say "next" and move on. Which is what I would do.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

I'm with Cliflyri, as soon as my first ever brand new motorcycle purchase was in the driveway I was all over it, checkin' things, tightenin' anything loose and learnin' how things were supposed to be. :wink:
For those of us that have owned those vibratin' 2 wheeled noisy things we learned that tightenin' was a regular requirement or stuff comes off fast. :roll: :lol:

:flg:

·
Registered
525 Posts
About an hour later, while riding at about 95mph, I felt something hit my right leg and when I investigated I found ther right heater vent vanished.
I believe the OEM heater vent is only P rated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: I appear to be losing the right side of my bike.........

Shooters said:
On a recent trip to Laughlin, Nevada, we stopped for lunch and when I returned to the Wing, I notice the right side cap that screws into the throttle grip was gone.

Please tell me these motorcycles are built better than this!
I think if you will peel that HONDA logo off you will find a Harley Davidson margue underneth. :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
After losing the two pieces did you notice the front end start wobbling during decel around 40 mph when you let go of the handlebars? Maybe that's whats been causing it.... falling parts?

·
Registered
592 Posts
If the bike has oil , fuel , good battery ,good crush washer and starts....Ride it like you stole it......

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
Shooters:

The heater vents are not the only items that have departed from an 1800 while underway. The lower side covers have sailed off in the breeze too.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, Mr. Shooters,

We knew of the cheap plastic when we bought.

But . . .

engine, drive train, and chassis are pretty good . . . don't you think?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
After I bought my 02 new, I noticed a few things that needed 'tweaking', and mentioned it to the service mgr. when I took it in for the first service. They changed the oil and filter, and whatever else (crs), and didn't charge me anything...said it was because it left with those problems not being right when I bought it.

Grayboy Motorsports in Peoria, IL.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Friends,

For the most part, Our motorcycles are as good to us as we are to them! No brands excepted. We board members "may" be sending the wrong message to the new Wing owners, that they are maintenance free. Wouldn't it be great if they were.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts