GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who carry one ,what is a good short barrel revolver. reliable and inexpenceive?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Taurus, would be my recommendation. Smith and Wesson if you don't mind spending a bit more.

My personal choice is a semi-automatic in 9mm or .380.

Just to keep it related to motorcycles, this is what you will carry/transport with you when you ride on your motorcycle. Right?

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
I agree on the Taurus. DA stainless with no hammer. 38 Special with +P
Hydra-Shocks and they will not get up.

Bradford

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Whats a good price for a Rueger Vaquero or Blackhawk 357 w. 4 5/8 barrel?

(to fit in the trunk of my wing :wink: )

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Falcon Wing said:
Whats a good price for a Rueger Vaquero or Blackhawk 357 w. 4 5/8 barrel?

(to fit in the trunk of my wing :wink: )
http://gunsatcost.com/Items.aspx?QID=3630

If you get one of those, you might want to get it worked on for Cowboy Action Shooting. It costs $200 to $250 but it makes it soooo much better.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
S&W Model 642
38 cal, airweight, five shot, stainless, sealed backstrap, no hammer to snag.

fit on the bike, in a vest pocket, ankle, etc.....lightweight

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Gunshow on Saturday...looking to either get a Taurus 5 shot .357 or .38 (price) but will also look at the Kel-Tec 9mm and .380 as they are even smaller. I have 3 SW's of other types and like 'em but the Taurus price is more aggressive and with a lifetime warranty you can't beat 'em. I usually put a 1911 in the trunk when we're out for longer rides but like the idea of one of the more concealable weapons.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
shoot, I'd carry my 9mm Glock if it had a safety!!! S&W, though, for a smaller, more manageable carry weapon...

·
Registered
68 Posts
joded said:
for those who carry one ,what is a good short barrel revolver. reliable and inexpenceive?
JODED... the majority of the posts are not for a revolver. Seems like everyone wants to tell you about their really neat GUN

HERE IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: Go to www.ruger.com
click on FIREARMS, click on REVOLVERS, click DOUBLE ACTION, click SP101

Consider getting the spearless hammer model it fits in the pocket and you practice with 38 cal ammo and carry 357 Mag Ammo

I carried this gun as a back up while working as LEO a slight modification to your back pocket on pants works great. Have the bottom of the pocket cut open place gun in pocket add heavy demin and sew demin into pocket to confirm to gun shape instant holster and you will be able to sit on the gun in comfort.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
is it legal to carry a gun while traveling if its not properly locked up, not trying to be a smart ass, I just want to know?

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
gmk1800 said:
is it legal to carry a gun while traveling if its not properly locked up, not trying to be a smart ass, I just want to know?
That a "loaded" question, it all depends on where you are and if you are licenesed to "carry" in that area in which you are traveling....

http://www.packing.org

Matt(Ashland,MA)

S&W 340PD is also a great choice, a little pricey, but light and packs the punch with a .357/.38+p

·
Registered
393 Posts
Glock 27

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
actually, not the model I have...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My choice would be the Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact in 9mm.
It has the added benefit of a grip safety.
It is offered with a great accessory package.
Lifetime guarantee.
Metal magazines.
9mm is low cost. (Plenty of cheap practice!)
10 shot, flush fitting magazines.
16 shot (full size) magazines for reloads with grip adapters available.

That would be my recommendation.

If you feel more comfortable with a revolver, as many are, I like the Taurus, 5 shot, double action only revolver. About $300 to $350 if you shop around. 38 special ammo is available for even less than the 9mm ammo.

I like the Remington Golden Saber line of defensive ammo. One benefit is that it is not so expensive that you consider an annual replacement of ammo a major investment. I use the 9mm, 124 gr.

I carry concealed when I ride, drive, water the grass, take out the trash, go to the dairy, go to the ATM, etc.

I have never had to pull it out.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
MikeInWA said:
S&W Triker said:
shoot, I'd carry my 9mm Glock if it had a safety!!! S&W, though, for a smaller, more manageable carry weapon...
Your Glock does have a safety. In fact, three of them! :D

http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm
Exactly correct 3 safeties, and if you want a fourth safety----

"Keep Your Booger Hook Off The Bang Switch"

8) :lol:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Revolver SP 101. That was the wife's first CC weapon. Now she carries the Glock 30. She is now wanting the 36.. Both are .45 but the 36 is a slimer version. That is what she has asked Santa for....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
S&W Triker said:
actually, not the model I have...
Unless it's a really old-model, if it doesn't have the 3 safeties, then it's not a Glock.

Big Wes said:
Exactly correct 3 safeties, and if you want a fourth safety----

"Keep Your Booger Hook Off The Bang Switch"

8) :lol:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts