GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home yesterday happy as a clam to be out riding. My 05 ABS with 27000 miles had an oil and filter change about 2000 miles ago using Amsoil 10w 40 oil. The temp was 5' and I had gone about 8 miles. Next thing a cloud of blue smoke "What the Heck" I pull off to the side of the interstate and 3 qts of oil pour out of the bike. Within 30 secs a guy pulls up in a pickup and mentioned that he rode a BMW 1200LT and did I want a ride. I thanked him and he drove me the 18 miles home. There is hope!!!!!!
Trailored the bike home, took off the belly pan and side shroud and found the neoprene seal had blown out of the housing at the splined gear shifter shaft. I wondered as to what could have caused that. I went down to my local bearing supply house and picked up a heavier duty seal for $2 . I figure my local HD would have charged at least $8 bucks. Put the bike back together added fresh oil and a new filter and started the bike. Shut off the bike to check the oil level. As I pulled the dip stick I noticed a lot of pressure in the crank case even after 20 seconds of shutting down. My question is, could excessive pressure caused the blow out? What have I missed. The crank case breather hose is just a plug in a plastic hose to dump the overflow oil. What gives here? :? I am using an after market oil filter, could this be causing extra pressure. However, don't tell me the obvious about using an OEM stock filter unless you have the facts about filter and crankcase pressures. :)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
How do you know the crankcase pressure is excessive,it will spray oil out everywere if you have the dipstick out with the engine running,plus smoke will be seen for a little bit after shutting engine off,is this what happens ??? OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Only one thing causes exessive crankcase pressure. Exessive blow-by. You need to do a compression check on all cylinders.

Sorry dude. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Is the crankcase breather hose kinked. I know on a vtx it will cause the same problem you discribe in your post. Worth a look. 8)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
stick405 said:
.... What have I missed. The crank case breather hose is just a plug in a plastic hose to dump the overflow oil. ....
The tube next to the left bank you speak of comes from the air box and collects water when riding in wet conditions.

Look elsewhere for crankcase ventilation.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I thought he said the breather checked out fine, but yeh, make sure it's working properly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
On the VTX when one of the hoses going air filter could get a kink in it and blow the seal around the sifter. I realize this is not a VTX but the same could happen on these beasts. When the seal blew out all you had to do is push the seal back in. So if you had done some work other than an oil and filter change , check your hoses. Richard

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know the details, but Alaska riders have the problem. A valve releases the pressure that builds up from the oil heating up. In cold, moist conditions, the valve freezes and that same seal blows out. In your case, it sounds like the valve has failed all together.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This happened on a friend's bike. It was the Oil filter, which was not flowing oil properly (our best guess). Anyway, we got the bike home and it did not have any serious damage to the engine, we changed the oil and put a new filter on it and it ran fine. He had the bike for a long time until he traded it in for a new model.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tomfranken said:
I don't know the details, but Alaska riders have the problem. A valve releases the pressure that builds up from the oil heating up. In cold, moist conditions, the valve freezes and that same seal blows out. In your case, it sounds like the valve has failed all together.
Tom, seems like you have may have something here. If you have any more info on the valve location I will check it out. I sure don't want to send the bike in to the dealer as I may not see it again til the spring.

Just had a call from my Honda Dealer. He said there is a pressure relief valve behind the engine under the gas tank. I'm now waiting for him to find out if the replacement and or fix is under my extended warranty. I'm assuming it will be. Well, there goes my winter riding for a while. :cry:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe Tom is talking about the 'pressure relief valve'.
It's built into the oil filter. It's designed to release pressure if it gets too high.
There is another relief valve that is in the oil pump. If that one fails the oil pressure light should come on due to low oil pressure. Had that problem on an 85 GL1200LTD one time.... not pretty!

In this case, if the breather isn't pinched- which I've seen happen!- then abnormally high crankcase pressure is caused by either 1-higher than normal oil level 2- worn rings/cylinders
Has the fuel tank been removed recently? The crankcase hose is under the fuel tank. I've also seen one of the crankcase hoses (the left one under the tank) that was misrouted and kinked. It was supposed to go behind the sensor connection and this one was in front of the connection-- that caused a kink and pinch. In this case it only had to be re-routed to fix it.

I've seen a lot of shift shaft seals fail on 1500's. Sometimes it's just the seal.
Check another 1800 for the crankcase pressure test. There is supposed to be pressure but how much is too much. Get a buddy's bike and compare with yours.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on a little 1980 Honda CM400A several years ago ... I was riding to work at 10 degrees (just two miles) ... seems there was a lot of water (condensation) in the oil from many short trips. On that engine there is an oil pressure relief valve in the engine that froze shut. Engine oil spurted all over the engine, exhaust and my boots and jeans. Seems excessive oil pressure forced the oil to spurt out through the path of least resistance, in this case the rubber oil gasket under the valve cover. What a mess !!! But all it needed was cleaned up and an oil change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My two cents worth.

My understanding is he said that the crankcase had pressure. For all my years working on cars and motorcycles, I have never seen an oil filter with any valve that would build up crankshaft pressure. The valve in the oil filter is only for bypassing part of the oil around the filter if the oil pressure gets too high.

Ron

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I went under the gas tank to remove, inspect, and tighten my coolant hoses I removed the crankcase breather hoses. There was some moisture-laden oil residue in them. Perhaps yours had some, and at 5 deg. froze and blocked the hose(s). Is the bike parked outside? If so, it may not have melted by the time you restarted it and found the pressure in the crankcase. The more I write the more far-fetched it sounds, but with the experience of the Alaskan riders mentioned above, I think it is a possibility.

·
Registered
510 Posts
McConnell said:
When I went under the gas tank to remove, inspect, and tighten my coolant hoses I removed the crankcase breather hoses. There was some moisture-laden oil residue in them. Perhaps yours had some, and at 5 deg. froze and blocked the hose(s). Is the bike parked outside? If so, it may not have melted by the time you restarted it and found the pressure in the crankcase. The more I write the more far-fetched it sounds, but with the experience of the Alaskan riders mentioned above, I think it is a possibility.

I don't think that is so far-fetched really. Here is a diagram of the crankcase breather system on the 1800. An unrestricted vent tube on the top of the crankcase dumps crankcase fumes and blow-by through a large hose into a Y connection then two large hoses into the airbox. There is no way to build up pressure in the crankcase unless the hose is totally kinked or some ice plugged up the hose. Possibly some foreign object could have plugged up the hoses too, maybe nest material from mice living in the airbox?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ron...
re-read my post...

"I believe Tom is talking about the 'pressure relief valve'.
It's built into the oil filter. It's designed to release pressure if it gets too high. "

'release pressure if it gets too high'.... sounds just like what you said.
We're both right<G>

Of course his engine has crankcase pressure... all 4 stroke engines create crankcase pressure. The question is 'how much'. He thinks his is excessive... could be... but it'd be a good idea to check out someone elses bike as a comparison.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
rayworx said:
... Of course his engine has crankcase pressure... all 4 stroke engines create crankcase pressure. The question is 'how much'
When the engine is in good condition and the ventilation system is working right... the answer is 'negligible'.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a call back from my dealer and further to my previous conversation with him. He said that there was not actually a valve but the "y" hose that relieved the crankcase to the air box and that this was the only relief for the crankcase. The bike had been out all night as I was at work and could have had some frozen water in the tube. I guess I've struck out for an under warranty bike check up. I mentioned that maybe the hose was pinched at assembly as the tube had never been touched or the gas tank removed since new. He said that if that was the case it would probably have been an issue earlier than 27000 miles.

I appreciate the good response from you all on this problem and I guess its the old dive into the air box project tomorrow and check for tube blockages. :roll: I may have to get out the Harley to save the day while the Honda is being fixed.............. :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts