Thanks, for the info, Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
The battery is 12 Volts...

I

·
0 Posts
Don't use a "trickle" charger, that is to say a charger that puts out a constant 2,3,4 or 5 amps, or whatever. Use a "battery maintainer" that senses the battery condition and automatically drops back to .5 amp or so...called a "float" charge". If the battery drops voltage, this type of charger will revert back to a higher rate to bring the battery back up to snuff, and then drop back its float charge rate.

A typical "trickle" charger can overcharge a battery over time.

Schumacher "Battery Companion". Available at Wally World for $17.44.
Sears also sells a similar unit, and there is also the "Battery Tender"brand.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
leaddog11 said:
SAY WHAT?????
I should have looked before asking questions. :oops:

(quote)
Trickle charging
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trickle charging, also called float charging, means charging a battery at the same rate as it is self-discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity battery. Most rechargeable batteries, particularly nickel-cadmium batteries or nickel metal hydride batteries, have a moderate rate of self-discharge, meaning they gradually lose their charge even if they are not used in a device. One must be careful, however, that if a battery regulator is not employed, the charge rate isn't greater than the level of self-discharge, or overcharging and possible damage or leakage may occur.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The link indicates that this is just a half amp charger. If you feel like connecting it for 24 hours every 3 weeks, then this charger should be fine. If you want to connect the charger and forget about it for 3 months, then you need something like the Battery Tender.

From the web site:

"Silicone rectifier for efficient operation"
I am curious too about the technology inside this battery charger; perhaps a new type of rectifier

·
Registered
128 Posts
Efficient operation sounds more "sales" than "technical specs". I would still only connect this charger for one day per month.

They may be referring to a centre tap rectifier. But it seems more likely that they are referring to being a solid state device (silicon). However, even that does not make sense since the only other way of making a rectifier that I know of uses tubes - which disappeared in the 1970's

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Scott_MacMartin said:
Efficient operation sounds more "sales" than "technical specs". I would still only connect this charger for one day per month.

They may be referring to a centre tap rectifier. But it seems more likely that they are referring to being a solid state device (silicon). However, even that does not make sense since the only other way of making a rectifier that I know of uses tubes - which disappeared in the 1970's
Silicon rectifier is what they used to call a thermister in the 70's. Basic construction is a diode and transistor combination.

Leave it plugged in..500MA(.5 amp) won't hurt anything.

later..Randy

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was at the SEMA show in Vegas and the company that make the brand name "Battery Tender" is coming out with a battery tender that looks like a V twin engine. VERY cool looking although its a V twin engine its still neat. They said retail price was gong to be around 69.00 bucks though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts