GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Wrong tool for the job. If they give you a new wrench and you try it again, I bet you'll break another wrench.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ace Hardware sells a 1/4" drive set of Hex (Allen head style) in both metric and English sizes.
What is special is normally you will usually only find them in 3/8" drive.
Much more versatile than what you broke :thumbup:.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Wrong tool for the job. If they give you a new wrench and you try it again, I bet you'll brake another wrench.
PLUS1

You better break them loose with a GOOD 3/8 drive socket allen.

·
Registered
240 Posts
wow...that's sad, broke the first time; same thing happened with my first wife, broke the first time I used it and had to get a replacement. The replacement was of higher quality and there've been no performance or quality problems since.......hang in there and it will work out....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sad to say but thats my luck with craftsman tools. Use once or twice, return for new one. Does the cost of travel to sears offset cost of snap-on? So far I have wore out 3 snap-on screwdrivers in 25 years and I abuse my tools. 90% of the time I grab the old snap-on to use and 90% of returned and poorly working tools are craftsman. So I no longer buy craftsman.

That's my rant on tools. Your results may not match.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Sad to say but thats my luck with craftsman tools. Use once or twice, return for new one. Does the cost of travel to sears offset cost of snap-on? So far I have wore out 3 snap-on screwdrivers in 25 years and I abuse my tools. 90% of the time I grab the old snap-on to use and 90% of returned and poorly working tools are craftsman. So I no longer buy craftsman.

That's my rant on tools. Your results may not match.
Tools Schmools :tongue:

Harbor Freight. Buy it once use it once. Throw it away. What a country. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wrong tool for the job. If they give you a new wrench and you try it again, I bet you'll brake another wrench.
What made you say such a thing, It would only be the wrong tool for the job if you were the one that put it on. ;)

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ace Hardware sells a 1/4" drive set of Hex (Allen head style) in both metric and English sizes.
What is special is normally you will usually only find them in 3/8" drive.
Much more versatile than what you broke :thumbup:.
I agree, but if you had looked at the other tools on the bench you would notice that I have two Snap-On sets (long and short) 3/8 drive, a 1/4" size swivel ratchet with a 3/8' drive is next to them.

Apparently not only you miss that, a couple other guys suggested using tools that are on the bench also.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Much to my surprise the vendor has an excellent return policy, the set is on it's way to them for an exchange with a prepaid label.

J&P Cycles. :bow:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I would like to clarify something.

That set of Allen Wrenches are made to be compact and more suited to take along on the bike, thus the pivot design and soft pouch.

I would not buy it for the tool box, I already have the Snap-On sets.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I agree, but if you had looked at the other tools on the bench you would notice that I have two Snap-On sets (long and short) 3/8 drive, a 1/4" size swivel ratchet with a 3/8' drive is next to them.

Apparently not only you miss that, a couple other guys suggested using tools that are on the bench also.
I did not miss a thing. You complained about breaking a hex bit/handle combination (Allen type driver) :shrug:. I wrote about the 1/4" drive Hex tools that will fit your 1/4" drive ratchet or any 1/4" drive extension. What I see is a broken one piece of foreign made junk that was posted on this board a while back as a good deal by Craftsman. The Craftsman dealers said they were all close out material (basically junk) :22yikes:.
I have 5 Snap-On torque Wrenches plus a torquing screw driver so I think I know what Snap-On quality is.
Look at my Album titled "Some Of My Toys" and notice what quality machines look like :thumbup:.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I did not miss a thing. You complained about breaking a hex bit/handle combination (Allen type driver) :shrug:. I wrote about the 1/4" drive Hex tools that will fit your 1/4" drive ratchet or any 1/4" drive extension. What I see is a broken one piece of foreign made junk that was posted on this board a while back as a good deal by Craftsman. The Craftsman dealers said they were all close out material (basically junk) :22yikes:.
I have 5 Snap-On torque Wrenches plus a torquing screw driver so I think I know what Snap-On quality is.
Look at my Album titled "Some Of My Toys" and notice what quality machines look like :thumbup:.
I did, and I like them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
What made you say such a thing, It would only be the wrong tool for the job if you were the one that put it on. ;)
Those swivel head tools are designed to get into hard to reach places, not to break loose bolts. The tool, was not the problem here, the mechanic was.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Sometimes a warranty is not enough. If you lose a finger or knuckle because of a broken tool. SnapOn is worth the money for the safety factor.

·
Premium Member
19,802 Posts
China tools ??? Buy American or German

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That's the problem, I'm really not blaming the tool, I forgot about the pivot head and was using it like I would a one peace.

The package does say "Lifetime Warranty", I will call the vendor and the manufacture today to see what they say.

A replacement wrench costs 7.45+SH from the manufacture.
Those swivel head tools are designed to get into hard to reach places, not to break loose bolts. The tool, was not the problem here, the mechanic was.
Please read what I posted earlier on this threat.

BTW, it's not a "swivel head" it simply pivots.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

Yep! he should stick to watching youtube,, seems pretty good at that

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Walter, gentle steady pressure!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.