GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was moving the wing around in the garage it got away from me and fell on its side. Looks like I need a new engine guard and a mirror and turn signal. Anyone have any advice on a good place to get parts?

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Which side? Just falling over, the engine guard should be ok. Our sponsor has the mirror assembly or your local dealer but they are pricy and you have to buy the whole thing! Don't ask me how I know!:biggrin:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was the right side

right side as you sit on it and yes if it wasnt for the foot peg of my other bike i think it would have done nothing

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Ouch! that had to hurt!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Man sorry to hear that, hope you find what you need for a good price.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks that would be great

I sent you a private message

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Kind of late now, but I never move the bike unless I'm sitting on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
normally I don't either

AS an aside to this convo however I find it a chore to get it off the center stand and im 6-4 and 235 not a small guy any hints from anyone?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We all have our moments. Some fool got a bike off balance up on a lift.

I think his name was Kit.

Then there was that darn Venture, hold unto one handlebar, hold the bike up straight and try to peek at the oil sight glass. Crash bars on that one just bend when they hit.

Been a lot more careful since then.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
AS an aside to this convo however I find it a chore to get it off the center stand and im 6-4 and 235 not a small guy any hints from anyone?
I stradle the bike and push it forward. use the fromt brake to control how fast it comes off the stand.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Our sponsor has the complete new mirrror assemblies with housing, mirror, turn signal,and wiring harness. Honda list price is about $268. HDL price was approx $232. Purchased during Memorial Day discount period it was something like $208 with no sales tax and free shipping. I didn't even ask ask the dealer for their price.

I tried to stop on a steep side slope. By the time my foot touched the ground I was leaned over too far to hold it up. Dropped the bike and fell over myself. Had a nice audience too!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
+1 for being on the bike!- I just do not trust to try it without being on the bike. I am 5 ft 8in, about 220lbs, and no big problem getting it off the centerstand, but it does take a little muscle (and I don't have a lot!!)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I stradle the bike and push it forward. use the fromt brake to control how fast it comes off the stand.
I second that motion. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and right at 236 and that's exactly how I get it off the center stand for about 98% of the time. The other 2%, I just grab the seat handle and the left handle bar and give a forward jerk. But, you must be real careful using the second technique. Once it's falling off the stand, it won't go far, it's more of a down motion than a forward one.
Scott

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, I'll weigh in here! :wrong:

I'm 5' 6" and have to sit on it and rock it forward to get it off the center stand safely.:eek:4: I ain't gonna tell ya that I weigh more than ya'll do and I stay away from Dairy Queens! :eek: Opps! I guess I just did!!!!:shock:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I was moving the wing around in the garage it got away from me and fell on its side. Looks like I need a new engine guard and a mirror and turn signal. Anyone have any advice on a good place to get parts?
I'm surprised that no one told you how to prevent this from happening in the future,But what's totally shocking is YOU didn't know this next information yourself! :eek:4:

As an Amsoil dealer you should of known more so than your customers that "You are supposed to wash you hands thoroughly" after touching Amsoil.everyone knows how slippery that stuff is.

That's why your bike got away from you.:wrong:

Now-If the glass isn't broken? then you can buy just the outer housing from any dealer or our board sponsor. http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda

As for getting it OFF the center stand.Extend side stand first!
Hold the left grip with left hand and grab passenger handle,and in a one-two fluid motion pull the pass handle forward and just as the bike comes off the center stand reach for the right handle bar grip with your right hand to steady the bike.

If you ever think the bike is going to get away from you-Hold the left grip tightly as you squat.Your body weight will then stop the bike from getting away from you and the side stand will stop it from falling on you.

Try it a few times and you'll see how it works.:thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wing fell.

I am 5'8" 175lbs and the wing fell over on me in the garage. I was dumb but I was also lucky. I was moving it, without sitting on it and I did not get it straight up on the balance point and more or less pushed it over. That is the dumb part, I will never again move it without sitting on it. It fell into my truck, this is the lucky part. The only part that hit the truck was the right rear speaker housing and it went into the tire well and rested against the tire. If the bike had been one foot forward, I would have scraped paint and messed up the trunk. As it was, there was no damage at all. The pain was standing it back up by myself when the bike was so close to the truck. I could barely get between them to push it back up. Only damage was my chest muscles strained trying to keep it from going over. Another dumb thing.
2010 Black AC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts