GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoopsie. Came up on a friend too fast at the top of the Corkscrew yesterday and applied a bit more front brake than front tire could handle. Result: no injuries, tucked front end and a crash. Bike rideable but bent shift pedal, rash on left side fairing and gouged up bar end. I'd say I got off pretty easy. Gopro dash camera had me at a steady 51 mph when the front end tucked. I was on the ground so fast, like I hit a patch of ice. I was in A group with Q3's. I think next time I will be at the ready with dedicated track tiresand warmers.

54EE1F3F-A104-4F6F-B9BB-876F4FEC76FA.jpg

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that, glad you faired okay, bikes can be fixed (ask me how I know).....

I run the Q3's on the street, on my Tuono V4, I haven't tried them on the track. I usually go to the full on race Dunlops, the GP211A's, on my Ducati 1098.

Although I did do a session on a friends S1000RR that had Q3's on, at VIR, they worked well.

The Q3's work brilliant on the street, but wear fast.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What's the saying? Save the edges of the tires for turning? Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
hey man glad your ok,that would have been ugly on the wing,lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you're gonna crash the track is the place to do it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're gonna crash the track is the place to do it.
Absolutely. Here is the dash video at normal speed. Going pretty slow still because it was the first warmup lap. Cold tires will still bite ya.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Did you happen to take a look over the wall to the right of the track just before the corkscrew? LOL That'll get yuor attention . . . . adds a bit of "excitement" to the thing . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Glad everything worked out and you are alright.

I watched your slo-mo video and I finally saw the guy taking pics of you in the last few frames. How much did you pay him to photograph your crash?? I'm figuring you must have set up the exact location with him ahead of time for him to get such a great shot of you going down. ;)

Seriously though, I've had a couple of cold tire scares at the track... but I've since transitioned to tire warmers and I'm running Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa's at the track. They are all sorts of grippy. Not long lasting... but rubber is cheaper than skin, bones, and frame parts. :)

Heading out to the track this Saturday too! Can't wait.

I will also add that I'm very jealous of your Cali tracks. Our tracks in Texas are no where near as smooth as yours are. Here's an example of one of our "nicer" tracks:

*Select HD for best viewing.

Notice me bumping all around that track. :thumbup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad everything worked out and you are alright.

I watched your slo-mo video and I finally saw the guy taking pics of you in the last few frames. How much did you pay him to photograph your crash?? I'm figuring you must have set up the exact location with him ahead of time for him to get such a great shot of you going down. ;)
The trackday provider has a professional photographer which is nice. You like the pic and you can buy it. I've gone down many times but it is nice to have this shot so my wife can poke fun at me forever.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought all the pictures the photographer took that day for $55.00

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
VIDEO SHOWED 170 - DOESN'T LOOK THAT FAST SITTIN HERE :lol::lol::lol: THE GUY YOU PAST MUST HAVE BEEN PRACTICING LEANING OFF BIKE - BUT WASNT GOING ANYWHERE :shock: HOW MANY LAPS YOU GET OUT OF TIRES ? SURE BRAND /TYPE MATTERS - JUST ROUND ABOUT (PUN INTENDED LOL) AVERAGE

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I bought all the pictures the photographer took that day for $55.00
Ok, i'm totally messed up here.... You were on the S1000RR right? I thought (not being a smart @ss) that those were almost impossible to crash...did you buy a base model without the rider aids :) ??

I'm thinking HARD about a S1000R (single R) so I'm actually interested in what happened....

Thanks!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, i'm totally messed up here.... You were on the S1000RR right? I thought (not being a smart @ss) that those were almost impossible to crash...did you buy a base model without the rider aids :) ??

I'm thinking HARD about a S1000R (single R) so I'm actually interested in what happened....

Thanks!
Yes, the S1000rr and S1000r come with ABS and traction control. You can still crash it especially if your tires are cold on the track. I was riding in 'Slick mode'. A friend who is very familiar with this bike said that since he did I not see the ABS light activate in the dash that I most likely did not over apply the front brake. I left with the three bikes in front of me (all pitted together) and they used tire warmers prior to the outlap. You will love the S1000r, it's a fantastic bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts