GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading quite a few posts a few weeks back about 'everyone' wanting a way to get those bright orange turn signals darker, I did a bit of searching and found that Chet ( www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/lights.html ) had done it.

I followed his lead ( thanks alot, Chet!! ) and ordered the goodies. Well, I went and applied the film this morning and am quite pleased with the results.

You can order the film from www.planetsuperbike.com . Go to the Online Catalog, then Headlight covers, then Honda, then choose HLC0025 in black. It ended up costing about $36.00 with shipping....but you will get enough film to do about 4 or 5 PAIRS of front turn signals ( leaves enough for any goof-ups :oops: )

The film goes on quite easily and can be stretched around corners with a hair dryer. Once it is on, you then take a hair dryer to 'set' it into place. The film after being heated and cooled gets quite hard and locks onto the lens. It can still be peeled off at a later time without ruining your lenses.

I hope this will help out anyone who is looking for that 'different' look to their bike.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
How does it affect light transmission through the tint? I see that there are holes in it, but???

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it affect light transmission through the tint? I see that there are holes in it, but???
The film is 'perforated' with holes. I turned on the lights and they look as though they will still be plenty bright for oncoming traffic.. The film is actually designed for applying to a Sportbikes main front headlight. If it can allow enough light thru a headlight, it will be bright enough for a turn signal.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What follows is my personal opinion:
I can't imagine why anyone would actually ride like this. According to the Hurt Report, the number 1 cause of motorcycle accidents was someone pulling out in front of the bike, usually with the excuse that "I didn't see them". So how does disguising your turn signals alleviate this problem? BTW, the sport bikers (and the import crowd) that run this film over the headlights more often than not use their high beams to make up for the shortfall of light caused by the film. Exactly where is the turn signal high beam switch on my Wing? Sorry to be so blunt, but (again, my personal opinion) this is just a real bad idea.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent.

markie

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
God, I love those comments.........everything from illegal to wish I could make mine brighter !!

As far as cutting the brightness, it is a MINIMAL LOSS !! It is a look I wanted for when the bike is just sitting in a parking lot, not for on the road. As you can see in these photos, the brightness of the turn signals has not changed very much with the lights on, but gives the bike a 'stealth' look when turned off.

You guys can go and ride and be distracted by having your 1/2 dozen RAM mounts all over your bike hanging on to your 1 or 2 GPS displays, Cell Phones, Drink holders, stuffed animals, yakking on a CB radio, and whatever else takes your attention away from the road........I'll keep my little film on my turn signals. :D

I enjoy riding just as much as the next guy. If I didn't think it was a something safe, I wouldn't have done it. The pictures say it all.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey Hedo....

I personally like the way it looks. I have seen it done on Chet's site for a while now. I was wondering if it would reduce the light thru the tint. From the photo, it does not look like much if at all. I know some are concerned about tickets and all, but I dont think that would be a problem unless they are just having a bad day or something.

How you given any thought or is it possible to tint the side marker light on the rotor cover with that film? I do not know if I would do it yet or not. I like the blacked out look thou as much of my silver bike is either black or chrome. I do not plan to chrome it out, but some things dont come any other way.

Thanks for the pics and they look good to me.

Now slides into flame suit.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The disclaimer on the website claims approximately a 10% reduction in light transmission. Given the size of the lights on this bike (especially compared to some other brands), I wonder how much exactly that would be??

Hey Steve, how about you go out and rip the film off of one of the lights and take another picture so we can compare the two sides? :D

I think you should have also got some of those cool headlight films with bloodshot eyes, too.

I did a little research and found this requirement for Washington regarding turn signals:
Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
I also found a nice link to some pages with other states' lighting requirements - I'm throwing it in my favorites for future reference: http://fmvss108.tripod.com/statelaws.htm

Take it outside and check the visibility in "normal sunlight" please, Steve :lol: and then give us another update!

·
Registered
73 Posts
after seeing the pic w/ the lights on, I dont think it would be illegal to do this, trust me Ive see worse. I do think it looks good w/ the turn signal darkened w/ the lights off, but this is something I wont do.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
hedo, I've been to your part of the boonies a couple times, going to the large car swap meets. That's a lot of walking. How well does the light shine through the masks in the daytime? I don't plan on doing it to mine, as I like different colors, but I'm curious, as others might be. :?:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil - next time you're in town for the car show, give me a call.

According to Planet Superbike's website, the light transmission is reduced by approximately 10 %. Not too much. I've had that amount of reduction from bugs stuck on the lenses.

We still have snow on the ground here so I won't be taking it outside for awhile.

As for other colors, they sell the film in all sorts of colors. When the lights are on, they will still show 'amber'. I think they would look pretty cool with yellow film on a yellow bike, or whatever combination.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
"You guys can go and ride and be distracted by having your 1/2 dozen RAM mounts all over your bike hanging on to your 1 or 2 GPS displays, Cell Phones, Drink holders, stuffed animals, yakking on a CB radio, and whatever else takes your attention away from the road........I'll keep my little film on my turn signals."

This is absolutley not the point................the point is others need to be able to see you and your turn signals. The turn signals on the Wing are hard enough to see during the day. Why anyone would want to reduce the intensity even 1% is beyond me.
Cool looking doesn't help when your sitting in a hospital in critical condition.
Being inattentive is stupid but doing something to allow others to not see your intensions is alot worse.
Don't give the cagers any more excuses than they already have.

Just my opinion....................

[/b]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great Style

Good on you, personalization, too many people spend their time providing comment and critique, I think it looks great, risk is everywhere, when it is your time, it is your time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll be doing the 'Black Out' mod. I think it looks great! I HATE the amber lens covers. I just wish someone made a clear lens replacement for the Wing.

I have no amber lenses or reflectors on my Valk...I do use amber lamps in the front, however.

I must be a rebel... :twisted: ...so many of the posts on this board seem like mom and dad trying to protect me from myself. Mom thinks I should not have gone with that dangerous 'Black' color. She thinks all motorcycles should be a fluorescent bright green to be more visible...please don't tell her I'm thinking participating in that 'high risk lifestyle' of Hedoman by blacking out my amber lenses on my 2004 black wing!! :shock:

Shooter Indy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Turn Signals

Hey Hedoman, Your addition to your wing looks very cool. It doesn't matter if I would or wouldn't do that to mine or what others would do. What matters is that you are proud of your bike with what ever changes you have made. Some of these guys are going to have negative remarks no matter what. Hell, take them off if you want to, you paid for it. Bird....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts