GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for trip to the Smokey Mts.....So......I needed to do some maintenance before our trip....

Thanks to many of you on this board....I had the confidence to do the maintenance myself. I purchased a Honda CD service manual.....then completed the following:

-changed air filter
-changed brake pads
-changed brake fluid
-changed clutch fluid
-changed spark plugs
-changed oil-(have done this before)
-changed oil filter(done before as well)

Wow....I was so happy!!! Really not that difficult....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great White Wing said:
Clutch fluid gets pretty nasty don't it?
I was surprised how dark the clutch fluid was that I removed... Before changing the fluids, I figured that the brake fluid would be the worst.....

Amazing just how easy it is to do.....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
StealthWing said:
Great White Wing said:
Clutch fluid gets pretty nasty don't it?
I was surprised how dark the clutch fluid was that I removed... Before changing the fluids, I figured that the brake fluid would be the worst.....

Amazing just how easy it is to do.....
Yep, no reason not to do it and after seeing it, every reason to DO it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
flper67 said:
i am lazy , i have the exstended warenty that covers all that.
Hmmmm...these are all maintenance and wear items, my extended warranty doesn't cover that.

I

·
0 Posts
flper67:

Changing fluids and other routine maintenance is not covered by any Honda warranty, unless it had to be done in the process of repairing a covered warranty problem.

Not on your car, your motorcyle, your ATV, your boat, your lawn tractor, or whatever.

If your dealer is replacing your clutch or brake fluid for free in the absence of a need to do so because of a problem other than age, give him a big kiss. (or a bottle of good booze)

I assume you are referring to the Honda factory extended warranty. If you have some third party afermarket extended warranty, maybe you are covered, but certainly not under any Honda warranty.

Are you trying to tell us that you could even get your engine oil changed under warranty just because it is dirty? :roll:

You either have a great dealer, or we didn't get the whole story.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
when i bought my bike. the dealer offers a exstended service plane that covers all the exept for breaks. which are not hard to change less than 15 min if you dont have rotor covers on. this coverage is above and beyond the honda warenty. it cost me but i dont have to wory about it. that also covers all oil changes in the seven years that i paid for. two bateries and two tires front and back. i paid 1,800 more for this but i think its worth it. sorry for the bad spelling have to instal spell checker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Be proud of yourself Stealthwing. I like doing my own maintenance. I am a(RETIRED) mechanic by trade but still prefer to do my own personal work. It is good to know how to do some of this stuff, should you have trouble on the road. I also take more care than someone else would. I have the factory service manual for every vehicle I own. There is something about the bike that is similar to a romance. Probably better. They dont complain much. :D

L

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine bought a lifetime oil change warranty when he bought his new Kia Rio. Two months later the dealer went belly up. By by oil changes!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
It does feel good doing your ouw work because you saved yourself money and know it's done right with every bolt back in it's place. This bike really isn't a hard bike to work on and it always make me laugh when I read about the complaints about how hard it is changing the air filter..way over rated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts