GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week of watching Fred's video several times on how to take off the top shelter, I finally installed my CB today and the Sierra single antenna with the splitter. HOORAY!!!!!

Taking off the top shelter wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Fred's instructions helped a lot! He also has a web page for installing the CB. Honda's instructions told me to take off the trunk, but thanks to Fred's page, drilling the hole into the trunk was easy as pie.

The location for the filters are a little different for the '06, but pretty easy to find. The unit seems to receive fine. Now I have to go ride to test the transmitter. Any excuse to ride.

Many thanks Fred!!!!!!!

Bartman

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Now I have to go ride to test the transmitter.
Please let me know how your transmit test goes.
I did the install last week on my '07.

I just got to test transmit yesterday and was very disappointed.
I could "hear" the other bike (a 1993 Goldwing) almost 1/3 of mile behind him ...
but,
he could not hear me until I could almost read his license plate ...
I'd estimate I was less than 100-150 yards behind him before he could hear me.
:-(

Dennis

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
.....The location for the filters are a little different for the '06...{/quote]

can you give me some idea what and where to look, I have to tackle this job myself after Xmas....Thanks.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You might need to trim your antenna for better tune. Is the Honda antenna tunable?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes as David says You must set the SWR on the antenna many articles have been written on this. I can talk comfortably 5 miles on mine.
The hole in trunk can be done easily no removal with a flat hole bore for wood from the front of trunk seat off, use a 1 inch siliciolne seal the rubber groument in .
The filters are behind the plastic air ducts which come out easily with shelter off, and the fuel pump filter goes up the line a ways not right at the pump as it used to. there is now only one 12 plug for power on left side right side no longer exist I made my own for that side with the help of EC and Lewis.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FredGarvin said:
can you give me some idea what and where to look, I have to tackle this job myself after Xmas....Thanks.
Fred, the fuel pump filter is right on top on the pump, on the left side as you're sitting on the bike. One is over near the left pocket and the other next to the right pocket. The directions included with the CB give you a pretty good indication where to look.

David M. said:
You might need to trim your antenna for better tune. Is the Honda antenna tunable?
I have the Sierra antenna. Easy install. I'll be interested to see how it works. It's supposed to be pretuned before shipment: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... 06-SINGLE3

Bartman

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wingwing said:
Now I have to go ride to test the transmitter.
Please let me know how your transmit test goes.
I did the install last week on my '07.

I just got to test transmit yesterday and was very disappointed.
I could "hear" the other bike (a 1993 Goldwing) almost 1/3 of mile behind him ...
but,
he could not hear me until I could almost read his license plate ...
I'd estimate I was less than 100-150 yards behind him before he could hear me.
:-(

Dennis
Correction ...
After trying some suggested "fixes"
... I found out the problem was not with my CB
... it was the guy I was riding with,
... HIS CB is not working too well.
:oops:

Mine was a new install and I had read how "bad" they were so when it performed "badly" I just assumed it was mine.

Further tests
... mine is working fine (transmit and receive over a 1/2 mile range).

Thank you Bobby P from Florida for the help!

my apologizes,
Dennis

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok, here is a real Dee Dee Dee question.... What do the filters do on the CB. I have had the same CB since the 01 and have never had filters. I just traded my 04 in an kept the same radio. I am going to install it the same as on the last two bikes.

Thanks in advance....

Willy

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BillytheKidd said:
Ok, here is a real Dee Dee Dee question.... What do the filters do on the CB. I have had the same CB since the 01 and have never had filters. I just traded my 04 in an kept the same radio. I am going to install it the same as on the last two bikes.

Thanks in advance....

Willy
They remove the noise from the alternator, fuel pump and...I can't remember the third one. All the new CB's come with the filters. Don't get one without them.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Bartman---- also is the filtering of noise in cooling fans, all you guys with the cb insyall you have to tune the antenna (set SWR) no antenna can come pre tuned it has to be set after instlation, this is the most critical thing after installition to work correctly. You could burn the finals in the cb needing cb to be repaired, if operated for long periods of time with high swr.,
there have been lots of articles on this in wing magazine and here.
Happy New Year all!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought my CB in 01 as a returned item from a dealer that is no more. It did not have filters. I used it on that bike, on my 04 and am hoping to use it on my 06 as well. Can anyone tell me where to get the filters as I have never had them. I guess I should try to tune the antenna as I have never done that as well. It always seemed to work ok, guess I just didn't know the difference.

Willy

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
upssnowman said:
...all you guys with the cb insyall you have to tune the antenna (set SWR) no antenna can come pre tuned it has to be set after instlation, this is the most critical thing after installition to work correctly. You could burn the finals in the cb needing cb to be repaired, if operated for long periods of time with high swr.,
there have been lots of articles on this in wing magazine and here.
Happy New Year all!!!
Already checked the SWR on the Sierra antenna. They state they individually tune each one on a Goldwing prior to shipment:

CH1 - 1.2:1
CH20 - 1.5:1
CH40 - 1.8:1

Right out of the box. No tuning made or necessary!

BillytheKidd said:
...Can anyone tell me where to get the filters as I have never had them.
I would contact Honda Direct Line and see what they can dig up for you.

BillytheKidd said:
...I guess I should try to tune the antenna as I have never done that as well. It always seemed to work ok, guess I just didn't know the difference.
Absolutely you should tune the antenna! See this site for tuning instructions. Of course you'll need a SWR Meter and the necessary cables to connect the meter in line with the antenna's cable:

http://alpharubicon.com/elect/tuningantennaeli.htm

Bartman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts