GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp fellas, I screwed up. I let my rear wheel get all dusty from brake dust and then didn't clean it off (regularly) and now the rear wheel is corroded!
What say the brain trust? What's the best way to get all that corrosion offen them wheels?
GBrown

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Did you try a search of past posts first? There's lots of good info that doesn't need repeating here.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If stock aluminum wheel, use 400/600 wet sandpaper, that will clean it good.

Polish with finer or not, I never worry about it, just clean it off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had my wheels powder coated and really glad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If stock aluminum wheel, use 400/600 wet sandpaper, that will clean it good.

Polish with finer or not, I never worry about it, just clean it off.
I just bought a 2008 and don't think the rear wheel was ever cleaned...I'll give this a try - Thanks

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I use super fine steel wool on my 08...dip it in the bucket of soapy water and it cleans great. Easier than sandpaper IMO.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Powder coat . . . .

:thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Steel wool wouldn't have worked for me... The take off rear wheel I bought (inexpensive) for my CT was pitted pretty bad, maybe worse than the OP stated about his own? I did an initial scrubbing with a medium cut scotch brite pad and a bucket of warm water mixed pretty strong with a biodegradable degreaser (Super Clean) to get the heaviest deposits removed. I recommend wearing light weight nitrile work gloves because a strong solution will tear up your hands in no time and trashes cheap latex gloves almost immediately. The degreaser helps etch out some of the brake dust from the pits. I followed by wet sanding with the same solution and 320 wet or dry until nearly all the pitting was gone. I finish wet sanded with 600, then rinsed & dried and machine polished with a wool pad and Blue Magic aluminum polish to get a nice luster. Took a couple hours and I got about 90% of the pitting erased. You have to look close to still see some shadowing in the deepest pits that remained. Good enuf for me and a quick hand polish intermittently keeps it looking nice.

Not knocking it, chrome and powder coating is way cool and reduces wheel maintenance too but it costs unless you can justify it for the aesthetics as well. I figure you can't see much of the rear wheel anyway and the front isn't hard to keep looking good. Different strokes for different folks.

P.S. Check out this post by Fred H for clear sealing your wheel once it's all cleaned up & polished. I might give this a try, others seem happy with the results: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227615&highlight=wheel+clear+coat

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wheels

Thanks all. Even though I had looked at the earlier posts, there was still good info to be had from a new post.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wash it good with soap & water, dry it then use Mothers polish. It's a little work but the results are beautiful. Very close to looking like chrome.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Check the accessories aisle at Wal-Mart for a buffing pad that looks like a torn synthetic chamois...it attaches to a drill motor and with some Mothers aluminum polish it will do a really good job. Consider powder coating, it is just a swipe of a cloth to clean.
This is called Heavy Silver w/clear coat

This is same wheel alongside my polished front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts