GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at our local GWRRA meeting we had a guest from a local dealer. He announced himself as the new outside sales rep having riden for 35 years (since he was 5 years old) and currently races a (?) GXS1000. He had borrowed a 2006 Wing to come to the meeting.

After the meeting he went on his way and we formed 2 groups of 5 each for our after meeting ride which I had planned and I was leading the first group. My rides are almost exclusively on secondary twisty roads.

About an hour into our ride the tailgunner of the 2nd group announced a Wing passing their group so I advised everyone wave him on as it was safe and quickly he was passing me on a great road so............I fell in behind and we had a great 5-6 mile sprint to a T-intersection where he pulled over. To my surprise it was the sales rep. As I waited for my groups he agreed to come on our ride. The next 2 hours it was race ahead, wait for my groups, race ahead, wait (I figured I'd catch hell for this!)

I felt good about my riding, basically staying with him although several times it was obvious he could out corner me However I'm an old fat fart running a worn out Vanco 2 (41,500 miles - being replaced today) and he was a 40 year old in athletic condition.

Now for the "I don't believe it" part. At lunch he complimented my riding so I had to comment on my tire choice. He hadn't notice it and went to the rear of my bike for a better look. As I said I was replacing it this week he said "You're going to put a moto tire back on, right?" I said "No, why?" To which he commented "You can't get a good patch on the ground with that profile."

I give up!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yesterday at our local GWRRA meeting we had a guest from a local dealer. He announced himself as the new outside sales rep having riden for 35 years (since he was 5 years old) and currently races a (?) GXS1000. He had borrowed a 2006 Wing to come to the meeting.

After the meeting he went on his way and we formed 2 groups of 5 each for our after meeting ride which I had planned and I was leading the first group. My rides are almost exclusively on secondary twisty roads.

About an hour into our ride the tailgunner of the 2nd group announced a Wing passing their group so I advised everyone wave him on as it was safe and quickly he was passing me on a great road so............I fell in behind and we had a great 5-6 mile sprint to a T-intersection where he pulled over. To my surprise it was the sales rep. As I waited for my groups he agreed to come on our ride. The next 2 hours it was race ahead, wait for my groups, race ahead, wait (I figured I'd catch hell for this!)

I felt good about my riding, basically staying with him although several times it was obvious he could out corner me However I'm an old fat fart running a worn out Vanco 2 (41,500 miles - being replaced today) and he was a 40 year old in athletic condition.

Now for the "I don't believe it" part. At lunch he complimented my riding so I had to comment on my tire choice. He hadn't notice it and went to the rear of my bike for a better look. As I said I was replacing it this week he said "You're going to put a moto tire back on, right?" I said "No, why?" To which he commented "You can't get a good patch on the ground with that profile."

I give up!
I guess he was Somewhere Else at the time: In Denial.

I had a similar conversation the other day.
A fellow rider said that he'd heard all kinds of bad things about CTs. I smiled a said that I was amused by the fact that so many folks who ride CTs love them and the folks who proclaim the horrors are folks who haven't ridden them -- they just repeat what they've read.

His response? "Not really -- the article that I read was written by a guy who tested one and didn't like it."

I resisted the temptation to point out that he'd just proved my point -- he hadn't tried one. He just repeated what he read.

:shrug:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Too many folks take the position of "Please don't confuse me with facts!".

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Let's just say his pointed little head don't have a good profile either then!:thumbup:

Remember, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Too funny ,thanks for a good laugh :thumbup:

I give up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
did you ever notice how many people that are experenced mc riders want to argue and tell you how many years under their belt,, but no ct miles... I quit talking to them .. why should I waste my time and then be insulted..

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Too many folks take the position of "Please don't confuse me with facts!".
:agree:

"I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it." ~ Garrison Keillor

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
did you ever notice how many people that are experenced mc riders want to argue and tell you how many years under their belt,, but no ct miles... I quit talking to them .. why should I waste my time and then be insulted..
I always get a kick out of folks that throw out their "years of experience" I'd rather know how many miles they've riden. 30 years of riding with only 30k miles tells me quite a bit about how "experienced" that person is. :lol:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

I give up!
I don't think I'm dreaming this but in riding with other DS'ers it sure looks there's as much pavement contact on a CT as a moto tire.

Yes? No??

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
You really getting 40000 miles out of that tire? Pictures please:excited: I am interested in that one for my next tire!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
What he needs is for a darksider to just smoke him all thru a twisty road; then get his opinion!

They can continue to use the inferior tires if they want to; I KNOW a better solution to the wing's rear tire problems!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I don't think I'm dreaming this but in riding with other DS'ers it sure looks there's as much pavement contact on a CT as a moto tire.

Yes? No??
More pavement contact with a BMT, (CT), than with a MT

·
Registered
56 Posts
You really getting 40000 miles out of that tire? Pictures please:excited: I am interested in that one for my next tire!
I have 7000 mi on my second car tire......... Got 22000 out of a kuhmo rf. I am going to see if I can go more than 40000 with this tire. Not a rf tire. something to shoot for. gonna be a while before I can tell.. I think the tire I have now will outlast a gytt. I'll let you guys know in a couple of years.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photo

This Vanco has 41,551 miles on it. I just took it off and put my spare Vanco on for my upcoming Sierra Gold trip which will be about 6000 miles and I wasn't sure it would last. I'm planning on putting it back on when I return and seeing how long it will last. It has 2/32 on center sipe and 4/32 on the side sipes and I know it's close to it's end of life, I just am curious how far it will go. What I don't know is how deep the rubber is on the edges.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

Yes? No??
Here is the contact patch diff betweena CT and a MT with an 1800 on the sidestand.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts