GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off for a ride this morning in the pouring rain. Rode a couple hundred miles in moderate to heavy downpours. After bout 100 miles it started missing on one cylinder. I pulled under an awning at an old church and let it idle till it dried out. Ran great for a few miles and it started missing again. Had to stop twice more and let it dry before I made it back home and it was missing again when I pulled into my garage. This has only happened once before. I washed it at a car wash in Fairbanks and it was missing when I pulled out. Only took a couple miles for it to dry and has ran fine every since. Does anyone have any ideas what might be getting wet and causing this? I'm thinking plug wires or maybe plug caps. Haven't had time to tear into it yet. Was juss looking for some ideas what to look for before I do.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Coil pack boots. Water is getting thrown around behind the upper shields. Or your push pins have fallen out and its entering from the sides. Dielectric grease will help.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Speaking of heavy rain, two times now while riding for hours in heavy rain my FI light has came on. Both times I was over 500 miles from home and it scared the crap out of me. The bike ran fine with the FI light on and when I pulled into a gas station and shut the bike off and restarted the bike the FI light went out and all was fine, and the FI light has never came back on.....just those two rimes when riding in heavy rain for hours has it came on...it's not a good feeling when the FI light comes on 500 miles from home :p

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Hard to say, but plug wires would probably be a good place to start. I would also open the drain tube on the hose for the air box and drain any water that might have gotten into it out.

I might also be inclined to remove the glove boxes and check the large multipin connectors behind them for any evidence of problems, as water tends to drip down onto them from the vents.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
galute, One lowtek way to find spark leaks:

remove all covers to be able to see high

voltage wires. Disable all lights or cover. Allow

eyes to adjust in total darkness. Water mist

boots and wires --- when crank. Very easy

to see. And hear. Advoid closed space; CO

danger.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. Gives me something to work with.

Fuzzy, I must admit I chickened out on the creek yesterday. It resembled some of those wild white water rapids places you see in Colorado. I didnt get any pics, didnt want to drown my camera too. :shock:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I bet the creek was up a little yesterday if the rain there was anything like it was here. Don't blame you for not giving it a go.

A little more serious reply from the Slacker....:doorag:

I expect you will find a plug wire in distress. A new wire with some silicone boot grease will do the trick. If it appears to be just voltage tracking due to moisture some sealant might help.

Could be a leakage issue associated with one of the coils too. Or the signal to the coil could be shorting before it gets to the coil (Fred's comment about the plug under the pockets).

Have you put fresh spark plugs in anytime recently? A high resistance plug or cracked ceramic on a plug can cause issues to show up when things get moist.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
galute, One lowtek way to find spark leaks:

remove all covers to be able to see high

voltage wires. Disable all lights or cover. Allow

eyes to adjust in total darkness. Water mist

boots and wires --- when crank. Very easy

to see. And hear. Advoid closed space; CO

danger.
I've used a technique similar to this in the past to track down rain-related driveability problems.

What I did was get the engine running. Then, I started spraying suspect areas with water using a spray bottle. It didn't take long to get a misfire going, which identified the problem.

IHTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts