GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a limit to the 12 volt power outlets you could place on a Goldwing. As I am approaching the point where more and longer trips are in sight, I begin to think of all the accessories I have which could utilize a USB port on the bike (re: phones, radar detector, I-pad, heated gear, GoPro, Bluetooth communication, etc.).

Wondered if 2-3 12 volt outlets could be installed (1-2 in front and 1 in back) with inserts with 2 USB ports in each one. Is there a point where I may overload the system of the Goldwing?

While I already understand I would not have 4-6 items plugged in all the time, I was just wondering. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't know one exists but it probably does with some research. Get 12v powered USB hub with something like 4 or more ports like the 110V ones.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
There are accessory powered connections tucked away in several locations for unused options. What year wing do you have, they do vary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evidently I am vocabulary deficient too!

My title should have been I'm electrical deficient.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Is there a limit to the 12 volt power outlets you could place on a Goldwing.
Of coarse there is. Some will add a 2nd battery and an isolator to power everything they have.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But heated gear is no small electric item or is it? Usually heat is the largest type of power draw.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not going to be the expert you sell on a 2015, however there is usually a 12 auxillary power tap under and forward of the left glove box, one in the top trunk longer and I've found two for the right dash pocket, one behind front right speaker and one under the shelter inside right knee area. There Canton most will offer is to limit what the total current draw on a wire to under 5 amps.
If you search the forum you'll find articles on adding an independent fuse panel for added farckles, powered from the battery but switched on with a relay that enables that power with the bike's auxiliary system. It keeps your stock wires safe from overload and prevents battery drain when the key is off. This is good advise. Keeping your fuses at the lowest value needed is also a good choice.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I added many items to my 2015. GPS, radar detector, Autocom communications system, PIAA Driving Lights, and Powerlet heated gear outlets. I added the following to allow me to add and control power to these devices.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com

What I cannot remember is if I added the Powerlet outlets to the Fuzeblock or direct to the batter.

There is an area under the seat that is just right to mount the Fuzeblock. Only problem is you have to remove the seat to install it and the power leads and if a fuse blows, the same is true.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Until I hooked up the Espresso machine and the cement mixer... I didn't have a concern.:nerd:

But seriously, May I suggest you add up the amperage draw of all intended accessories. Check the circuits available and their load's and finally break down what accessories will be active and when to possibly share loads.
Greg's mention of a 2nd battery is a good excessive load demand option.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Power

I have an Eastern Beaver Power block. It is fused at 50 A split between always on circuits and circuts that are powered when the bike is on. That would support a LOT of USB-powered devices. I have aux lights, a Powerlet connector, my phone and GPS attached in addition to a 3 outlet cigarette lighter power unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts