GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a "U" shaped right hand exit a bit too quick last evening and hard parts lifted my tires enough to break traction. I skipped over to the left about 2 yards before the shift of my weight let the tires grip. I started well toward the right fog line and did not cross into the opposite lane. Not scary, but more disappointing as I have taken that exit with more spirit on the previous bike without anything other than the titanium foot peg pucks throwing a shower of sparks (but that was with full Traxxion mods and new bike has yet to reeive that upgrade). Another oddity was that it was both tires lifted about equally and not the typical front only scenerio. Got home and noticed it was the right ****-O-Peg mount that had been ground down quite a bit. The suspension must have been totally compressed to bottom to allow that. Time for the TE upgrade!

prs

·
Registered
518 Posts
I hit a "U" shaped right hand exit a bit too quick last evening and hard parts lifted my tires enough to break traction. I skipped over to the left about 2 yards before the shift of my weight let the tires grip. I started well toward the right fog line and did not cross into the opposite lane. Not scary, but more disappointing as I have taken that exit with more spirit on the previous bike without anything other than the titanium foot peg pucks throwing a shower of sparks (but that was with full Traxxion mods and new bike has yet to reeive that upgrade). Another oddity was that it was both tires lifted about equally and not the typical front only scenerio. Got home and noticed it was the right ****-O-Peg mount that had been ground down quite a bit. The suspension must have been totally compressed to bottom to allow that. Time for the TE upgrade!

prs
You are the MAN! I have to admit that I would have had to deep clean the seat when i got back to the house.>:)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

prs
Yup you are way late, glad you kept it up.:grin2:

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any way to move the Mic-O-Peg mount?
No. The clamp part has a "sweet spot" type of fitment on the "U" shaped engine quard. I can push them up higher, but they assemply moves itself right back down as the clamps are tightened.

You are the MAN! I have to admit that I would have had to deep clean the seat when i got back to the house.>:)
We all need to learn to keep our composure, all kidding aside, when bad things happen. Practice panic stops, practice hitting the horn in its "new" location, practice dragging pegs in the parking lot so that "it" does not pucker or de-pucker >:) . Practice shifting weight to gain lean angle -- at speed it is counter intuitive, in slow maneuvers it is opposite. Never just lay it down! It is spooky, but you don't want to panic or soil yer britches. lol

so really, you didn't find the lean limit of a stock bike, you found the limit of the bike with an added accessory...how much more lean would be available without the ****-o-peg?
Kid, you are absolutely correct! The peg was just beginning to mash my foot against the side of the bike, I did not have to lift my foot. The MOP mounts stick out about 1.75" by my guess and upward only just a few degrees. I bet the engine guards or passenger guards were still off the ground a bit.

On the previous model GL1800 with the stock suspension collapsed, the foot pegs would scrape first, then the header covers, then the engine guard; all before the front tire would be raised. The MOPs could be set to never scrape their mounts. After getting Traxxionized I never again scraped the header covers and only barely added to the scars on the engine guards. I rode more aggressively on that bike; maybe older and wiser now, maybe...

prs

Reactions: JoeHall and Tex-Ed

·
Registered
867 Posts

prs
OK boys, waddya think ??? Before I comment, let me say this to get it out of the way before I get smashed by others. You're all better riders than me. I stink. I'm the worst rider the world has ever seen. I don't know how to ride, etc. ...........................

How about just don't lean over as far and slow down ?? Is it just me ??

Is it worth it ?? Of course not.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@Pigeon Roost What suspension mode were your iron steed set on? Curious.

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
131 Posts
Certainly lessons here for those who ride aggressively, or maybe all of us...

1. Consider the Traxxion upgrade.

2. No mods that lessen the bike's lean.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finding that lean limit is part of learning your bike, and how far you can push it if you are an aggressive rider. I prefer to find it little less dramatically but very glad it worked out.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kenichi, that is a good question. I had it set at "one-up with luggage" and in "tour" mode. It was not a planned thing, it just kinda happens sometimes.

prs

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK boys, waddya think ??? Before I comment, let me say this to get it out of the way before I get smashed by others. You're all better riders than me. I stink. I'm the worst rider the world has ever seen. I don't know how to ride, etc. ...........................

That is not an unreasonable approach at all. It's not exactly for me; but I get it.

prs

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finding that lean limit is part of learning your bike, and how far you can push it if you are an aggressive rider. I prefer to find it little less dramatically but very glad it worked out.

I am really not all that aggressive these later days, this episode sort of caught me by surprise. I do search lean angle limits in the parking lot practices and in doing so had not yet set this bike over on hard parts; but at slower speeds the lean angle is greater.

prs

·
Registered
153 Posts
After 14000 miles with the full TRAXION conversion I haven't scraped anything on my 2018 GW. Even fully loaded and two up, I dont scrape.
OKAY Im not trying to corner like ROSSI or Marques ( Heaven help me, I couldn't even if I tried)
But the TRAXION conversion with the heavier springs that they fit does prevent the bike from scraping.
Im sure even with these mods you could exaggerate and force the bike to lean and scrape, so is it possible sure.
Likely NA.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
After 14000 miles with the full TRAXION conversion I haven't scraped anything on my 2018 GW. Even fully loaded and two up, I dont scrape.
OKAY Im not trying to corner like ROSSI or Marques ( Heaven help me, I couldn't even if I tried)
But the TRAXION conversion with the heavier springs that they fit does prevent the bike from scraping.
Im sure even with these mods you could exaggerate and force the bike to lean and scrape, so is it possible sure.
Likely NA.

Now you've done it.....LOL, the Pro weak suspension lobby will be upset with us.

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
468 Posts
Did you lean over the bike or did you have the bike pushed lower than your body? By leaning the bike under your body you can lose some lean angle, where as if you lean similarly to GP rider, no knee dragging, you can gain some lean angle.

·
IronMan
17,626 Posts

THAT JUST AINT NO FUN ! :serious::laugh:

Reactions: Hoopdc and RickLB
1 - 20 of 25 Posts