GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:

Have a customized 20 + year old Bushtec trailer. (I put several progress pictures/posts on this board).

HAD (past tense) Rivco 3" drop down tongue with a NEW (2 months old) Bushtec hitch pin and safety chain holder.

Was going to do the dragon this weekend pulling the trailer so I could put a "Real" dragon sticker on it.

Put the Rivco tongue into receiver, and put hitch pin in last night.

Gee, guess what, I put the pin in, but it was not through the receiver hole it was in front of it. In my overwhelming ignorance I did not pull on the hitch after putting the pin in to check that it was secure. :cus:

Now my Rivco hitch tongue and (New) bushtec pin are in someones yard or a ditch!

No Dragon this weekend, or anytime in the future until I can slip the cost past the wife. :wrong:

Anyone have a 3" Rivco drop down tongue, and/or a Bushtec pin (with lock) they want to get rid of ? :bow:

Just had to vent somewhere, so guess what, you guy's won.

My Life sucks, over 9 months of customizing an old trailer, and now I have no way to pull it (and it's my own fault!), though it did get some time on the road before my screw up yesterday.

Enjoy your 4th of July, now I have to stain a deck instead of doing the dragon!

Rick
Mdwannabe

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sorry to here about your bad luck, I had seen the pictures of your trailer that you posted before, great looking job on it. I wish I could help you out, I am sure someone will come thru.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I have one and can get it to Nashville at 9:00 in the morning if u really wanna ride. My son is headed that way tomorrow morning, he is going to Goodlettsville. You can mail it back when done, i dont need it for a while. If U want it, PM me before 10:00 PM.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey life is good, you're still alive! Those problems are fixable. The fatal ones are the tough ones. Say a prayer of thanks for another day!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To all who have posted, thanks for listening.

To Duckster I say a heart felt THANKS.

That's what this site is all about, and I am happy to be part of it!

I spent several hours last night walking the 7 miles to work looking for the hitch (having no luck).

Just loged on so offer the was missed. It was quite outstanding an offer from someone who knows nothing about me, but trusts, without question.

I appreciate you all for giving me somewhere to vent so my poor wife did not have to put up with it (well maybe a little).

Now I am off to the deck to sweat and stain. :frown:

Again Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Damm Shame. Don't beat yourself up, it could have come apart while you were towing the trailer! We have all had those moments! Keep smiling!;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Glad to hear all is OK.

For future reference, put a mark of some sort on the drawbar be it black tape, red tape or an etched line when the bar is properly installed that would be an indication the hitch is all the way in place. Although I have yet to tow a motorcycle trailer, I did this with my 32' travel trailer just so I didn't have any accidents. I also used a locking hitch pin. This is all in afterthought but you know what they say about hindsight.

I hope your day and ride is a great one and that you enjoy the Dragon. I would love to get there some day. For now, I'll settle for Alaska's twisty roads, mountain vistas, waterfalls and roadhouses. :thumbup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you still need one, I have a chrome 3" drop Rivco receiver that you can have. I had a 6" drop built by a board member and it's just sitting in the shed collecting dust. I'm currently in Florida for a few days but once I get back home I can send it to you if you PM me an address.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Stuff like that happens to all of us..............it's just that most.....won't admit it.

Glad it had a happy ending!:thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folks like LostTexan and Duckster are few and far between; except on this page, and in our "Goldwing" family.

Thanks for listening and the overwhelming offers, I really appreciate it!

Oh yea, I'm still sweating and staining the deck.

Rick

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Rick, you are one of the luckiest guys I know. You could have had your trailer on that hitch. Unless you rode a lot of miles, you may find that shiny part.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks folk's; your helping me see my cup as half full not half empty. ;)

Rick

·
Registered
657 Posts
Life is not all that bad you could be staining my deck

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
A while back I unhooked my trailer to put the wing on the lift to change the oil, I always pull the trailer. I also was going to tidy up my trailer wiring so I need to pull the rear center section. I went to take out the pin on the Bushtec hitch and it was not there. :eek: Only thing holding the hitch in was the jam bolt. I dont know how or how long it was missing. It now has a lock pin. I was VERY lucky for sure.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Theres a lock and key in the classifieds is that part of what you need?:?:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts