GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for this tool to be built by progressive.

This tool has been on backorder with HDL for 4 months.
Is anyone in Austin or Central Texas willing to loan me (or sell me) this tool for awhile so that I can install my progressive rear spring.
I received my rear spring 4 months ago and would like to put it on the bike.

G

·
Better yet, can someone who already has one, post some digital pictures with maybe a tape measure along side of it. Some of those board members that are real handy and have access metal and welding equipment might be able to create such a beast.

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
I was at Progressive last week, and they have this tool ready to ship (to me anyway) and I assume other dealers like Hal will be getting some too. So hold on just a little longer. That tool works PERFECTLY (if you can get it! :lol: )

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have seen lots of guys on here willing to let You borrow theirs if You pay the shipping both ways , I'm gonna need one to going progressibve this winter on My 06, did you do the front springs yet and what year is your bike?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When I installed a progressive spring back in 02 I built a compressor out of 2x4's :roll: and it did the job just fine.
Looked like SH**, :roll:
But did the job.
Didn't think I would ever need it again and threw it out. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I had not considered whipping up something quick out of wood. My goal was to not spend more $, time, or effort on the installation tool than the spring cost by itself. I have unloaded various springs from coil over shocks on cars and MacPherson struts before, but was not sure exactly how this tool attached and worked with the GL1800 shock. I just ordered the tool because it was cheap and I wanted to know that when I got the gl1800 shock off the bike, that I would have the right tool for getting the spring quickly swapped out with the new one and back on the bike.

My bike is an 2002 and I put the Progresive front springs on last summer while replacing fork seals. For now, I am taking the poor mans approach to fix my perceived biggest issues with the GL1800 suspension. I am not yet ready to spend the big bucks on the suspension. I have two videos posted in the rides and trips forum area that show the types of roads I like to ride most often. Many of the twisty fun roads around here are really hard on the suspension due to cattle gaurds and bumps. It really hurts my wife when the suspension bottoms out.

Max has given me hope that I might be close to getting my back ordered tool and it seems he has seen the tools with his own eyes recently. I guess I will wait another couple weeks unless someone around Central Texas gives me a reason to ride over and borrow the tool.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
blind Yak,
Your best bet is to return the spring and reorder Max shock set up...probably the same amount of tear and install but much greater results

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to improvise without the rear spring removal tool this weekend and took these pictures of my approach with tools I allready had. I am not yet ready to spend much more money on the GL1800 suspension. Maybe later. I continue to work on the wife to get permission to buy a more sport oriented bike (in addition to the wing of course).

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74766

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
leaddog11 said:
I would be interested in knowing how much improvement the progressive springs offer..both front and rear?
I have progressive rear and Racetech front springs, much improved ride and handling over stock. Made me realize how inadequate the stock suspension was, for me anyway. I also disabled antidive. Hope to do the Traxxion upgrades but can't find time for the downtime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts