GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not another recall with Honda. This time it's with Yamaha. Besides my Wing, I have a 1999 Yamaha Road Star and now Yamaha is recalling all the 1600 Road Stars ever build for a transmission problem. It seems in some cases, that a gear or some other part is wearing not quite right in the transmission and causing a C clip that holds the gears together to fail that in turn can cause the transmission to lock up. The whole engine has to be removed from the bike and the engine cases split to access the transmission. What a pain this is going to be as I have lots of chrome parts and some custom parts that I got to worry about the dealers scratching and putting back together right. Who would have thought that after 8 seasons of riding this bike and now it's being recalled. I have had the worst luck with all of my vehicles and recalls. I have had some sort of recall with every vehicle that I now own.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Roadie,
The whole engine has to be removed from the bike and the engine cases split to access the transmission. What a pain this is going to be...
Not as much pain as the Tranny lockin' up...!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Roadie:

That recall is four years old...Where have you been? I owned two Road Stars.

Starman (how do you think I got my name)

·
Registered
172 Posts
starman said:
Hey Roadie:

Starman, this is an expanded recall of the first one.My 03 LE was done then, this however includes all 99-2001 that were not in the first one.

Say you're sorry :p

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry :D

G

·
0 Posts
You know, if Yamaha is paying to have the cases split, I wonder what else you could have them throw in while they're in there. . .

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
serial_thriller said:
Roadie-
Time to install the bigger pistons and cams...
Yea, I have thought about it. It's only takes money :) Actually I was going to put a big bore kit in my Road Star right before I test rode a Gold Wing back in late 02 and then the monthly payment thing got in the way :lol:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
starman said:
Hey Roadie:

I remember when the recall was announced and it only affected the 03 models and such and I was so relieved that my 99 wasn't affected and now here it is two years later and now I'm in it....it just plain sucks. I guess I'll just have to take the time to remove aftermarket stuff and the chrome I don't want the dealer to mess with and tape up the rest of the chrome and hope for the best. I have two Road Stars ( a 99 and a 00 model) sitting in my garage that will need to be done. I have never had much of a problem with my Road Star and have always enjoyed owning it, although I only have around 38,000 miles on it.

BTW, I have always known you had a Roadie. I think we have talked before or I seen your handle on the Road Star Riders forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts