GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I really tried to like my VTX. I got rid of my CBR and VFR last year because of bad hip for a GL1800 and VTX. I love the wing and the VTX was a good change as a commuter. I liked the looks of the VTX but not the ride. I had surgery in Aug. and the pain has been getting better every day. I liked the VFR more than any bike I have ever owned and also got more compliments on it. To me it is the definition of sporttourer. That Great V4 sounds good and howls when the Vtec kicks in at 7k. The power and handling are amazing, my CBR600 may have been a little faster but I can't imagine thinking you need a 1000 sportbike for the street. With the locking/quick release Honda hardbags, Sargent seat and Helibar risers the VFR is the ultimate sporttourer. Anyway with my hip recovering and pain getting better, I called the dealer where I traded the VFR last year. They still had not got what they wanted for it and still had it. The agreed to take my VTX1300 and give the VFR back in an even trade after putting new tires on the VFR!! I rode the VTX up to Blairsville GA over 129 on the X and traded titles when I got there. Man was it great to be back on the VFR!!!!! the power, handling, acceleration was awesome! riding the mtns was a blast again!!

halfway home in a short straightaway there was 3 SUV's ahead of me with a bit of distance between them. I was on route 52 and figured I'd pass one now then go through the corner and pass another. I was running about 50mph at 5k and just openend it up, the Vtec kicked in, I sailed passes the 1st SUV soooo fast, I shifted at 10k and just held it open as I flew by the next 2 SUV's with plenty of straight road left before entering the corner. It took awhile for that grin to go away. I feel a trip to Deals gap and Cherohala coming soon!

I'm sooo glad I was able to get this bike back and no $$$ spent to do so, kudos to Depot Power Center.
Some say they wish Honda would make the VFR a 1000cc or 1200cc, I don't!!! the V4 800cc has plenty of pull/power everywhere and with the Vtec, I avg 40mpg everytank. Its good to have a large tach, digital speedo, 2 tripometers, engine and ambient temp display and fuel gauge as well. I really tried but I'm just not a cruiser guy. I would've liked to keep the VTX but I can't afford 3 bikes and though I like the looks of the X I just don't like the ride enough.
The VFR with lower pegs, and higher bars is much more comfortable than the latest track/sportbike
There are deals out there on the VFR, I saw a 2003 VFR like mine w/o hardbags at Cycle World in Athens GA with only 2500 miles and asking $6500. I know you could get if out the door for that or less.
I traded the VTX with 7k miles and the VFR has 8k and new tires, I know they did me good.

Steve

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great post! Makes me want to run out and buy one. :D We can tell that you are having a blast. :biker:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nothing like reuniting with a good friend.

I love the V-4 too. Had an 82 750 Sabre that was a great bike.

Dep

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Dep said:
I love the V-4 too. Had an 82 750 Sabre that was a great bike.
Ditto! I liked me '82 Sabre ALMOST as much as I love my GL1800. Wish I still had it. Daddysbike ALMOST makes me want a VFR like his even though I really don't like sportbikes. Then again I've never OWNED one, just ridden a couple (Katana and a GXR 750.)

Honestly, I've liked every street bike I had and wish that I still had them... Honda CX-500 (dang, by the time the engine blew, I had double bucket touring seat, luggage rack with rider backrest, crash bars, windshield and a lot more... put more touring miles on it than any other bike I've owned.), V45 Sabre, Yamaha Viragos (500 and 920) and my '87 GL1200 Interstate.

Bought them all used, the CX 500 and V45 Sabre were the most fun, the Viragos the most reliable for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great looking Bike

I can't tell if you have the ABS model. I am considering a VFR for my second bike and was wondering if you considered the ABS option worth the money? Thanks

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Steve,
What a great look'in bike and it sounds like your thrilled to get her back. It's a cool second bike, you have the best of both worlds. Thats what riding's all about having a blast and loving what you ride. T. 8)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arn Butt Bill said:
Wish I could fit on one.
Nice deal, Steve. You're coming with me when I trade-in my beast at 200,000 miles.
Watch out, Hal; he's sharp.
Bill,

That was me on the silver VTX honking at you and the crew while you were at Dairy Queen in Cleveland GA. I was on my way to Blairsville to trade the X for the VFR and didn't have time to stop. It was already 4pm and they were closed waiting for me. I didn't see who else was with you, I just saw you (at 6ft?? you do stand out) and a bunch of wings. I will admit that they ride back on the VFR going over 180 was alot more fun than the ride over on the X.

Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tvbveb said:
Hey Steve,
What a great look'in bike and it sounds like your thrilled to get her back. It's a cool second bike, you have the best of both worlds. Thats what riding's all about having a blast and loving what you ride. T. 8)
Thanks, I agree.
When I first bought the VFR, I planned to keep it forever or at least 'til I ride the wheels off and replaced it with similar. Then the back/hip pain showed up and I got rid of the CBR then the VFR, it was really hard to let the VFR go but after surgery I'm hoping I can keep it now. With the wing set for comfort i.e. wingsoft seat, utopia backrest, Kuryakyn iso wing mini floorboards and keeping the VFR to 5k miles/yr or less and hip getting better I should be good to go. I always thought the wing and VFR the 2 best bikes to own.

Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Great looking Bike

Great Lakes Rider said:
I can't tell if you have the ABS model. I am considering a VFR for my second bike and was wondering if you considered the ABS option worth the money? Thanks
I don't have the ABS but do think it worth it. Having said that I've owned the ST1300, my 2nd GL1800 and now got my VFR back, all non-ABS. The VFR does have linked brakes and after riding the VTX 200 miles Sat. before dropping it off, I was amazed at the stopping power of the VFR brakes. It seems wise to me to choose ABS if available but I never do....hmmmmm what does that say??
I will say get the VFR, you'll love it. The wind flow is smooth and quiet. You can add the Honda hardbags, Sargent/Corbin seat and Helibars to make it even more comfortable/practical and one of the owners on the www.vfrdiscussion.com board makes a peg lowering kit to drop them another 3/4" though I'm happy with the pegs as is, much better than my CBR pegs were.

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
The VFR seems to be the forgotten bike, at least around Central Florida. Seems everyone wants the larger cc bikes. I have always thought they were in a class by themselves. It seems most years when they test the VFR against other bikes, in its class, the conclusion is always the same. "The VFR doesn't do one single thing better than any other bike, but it does everything very good. That is why this year our choice would be the VFR."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts