GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A first for me. Having a nice early morning ride to work when all of the sudden a sparrow smacked my helmet just above the visor. In my mirror I could see feathers flying. The guy in the truck behind me caught the rest of him. Had me all paranoid for the next few miles every time a saw a bird I had flashbacks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ouch, hard to drive defensive for that. Worst I'v had is a bunch of June bugs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Had a red tailed hawk fly over me by about a foot in the spring, glad I didn't hit that or it would have been a trip to the chiropractor or worse:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Your lucky the bird did not go through the radiator mesh grills at the front of the bike and in to the fan area as this happened to me awhile ago on a big tour what a pain to get the bird out of there not to mention some overheating issues i had with the bird feathers clogging the radiator i put some steel mesh wire there to protect any birds coming through there in the future :roll:

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I hit a couple of birds when I had my GL1500, but, so far, none with the 1800. When I lived in Texas, you had to really watch out for Buzzards on the side of the road. If one of those things fly up in front of you it's going to be really messy. :eek:4:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Monday morning of last week on the way to work at dawn I got a quick glimpse of a bird the size of a fat robin or big pigeon smack me on the side of my helmet. i was doing about 60 at the time and had no trouble keeping control of the bike, but sure knew something had hit me. We have many owls and hawks around my area so I hope i never meet one of them face to face while riding.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Check in with Fred from GA, I hear he is starting his own chapter of "To Kill A Mocking Bird" Road Riders Group.:cool:;):joke:

Glad no damage to the bike or you.:thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe mounting an owl on the front fender would help scare the birds away? :joke:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hit a couple of birds when I had my GL1500, but, so far, none with the 1800. When I lived in Texas, you had to really watch out for Buzzards on the side of the road. If one of those things fly up in front of you it's going to be really messy. :eek:4:
+1 on the buzzard. I whacked one on Hamilton Pool road outside of Austin one evening. Busted the windshield and left feathers over a broad area. Wished I had brought a change of underwear along..never gonna get them white again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2 Years ago I hit 2 birds (on different occasions) and a skunk! went out and bought some deer whistles and have'nt hit a thing since. Including the Elk in Yellowstone!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I should start a line of silhouettes painted on my '06 line WW2 bombers and fighter pilots. I have quit counting.

The worst, so far, was the suicide squirrel that kept darting back and forth. I though I had cleared it only to have it jump up next to me. Hit my left leg about halfway up my boot at 70mph. Just about yanked my leg off the peg!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
we got a turkey about 8 years ago with our 1500. ran right in behind the front wheel. turkey dead. we rode far enough to find a place for the wife to go , wellll, ahhhhhhhh pee. LOL

·
Registered
805 Posts
No birds, but on a rainy day last winter, I had a sycamore nut fall at just the right time to slip past my raised visor (fog problem) and slam me in the forehead at about 40 MPH. The spines didn't slice me up but I had a nasty bruise. After that, I switched back to a modular helmet.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Several years ago I was riding with friends and a Bear Cub fell out of a tree into the road near Deals Gap, in front of the bike ahead of me. :22yikes:

We stopped later and he asked me if I saw the Bear.

I said "yes and I am glad you didn't hit it because I am sure Momma Bear was somewhere nearby, and my .45 was rolled up in a pair of Levis in the saddlebags, I could have never got to it in time to protect you while you were laying in the road being mauled".:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Your lucky the bird did not go through the radiator mesh grills at the front of the bike and in to the fan area as this happened to me awhile ago on a big tour what a pain to get the bird out of there not to mention some overheating issues i had with the bird feathers clogging the radiator i put some steel mesh wire there to protect any birds coming through there in the future :roll:

CHEERS :thumbup:
sort of similar to what happened to me, but the bird didn't go into the radiator. But I did have feathers in the speaker grills. Never did find a carcase though.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Also hit a Sea Gull with a Race Car at Daytona back in the 70's.
Looked like a Pillow Exploded.
Does that count?:shrug:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Came real close to hitting a wild turkey on the BRP a few years back. Took a couple of shots of Wild Turkey to calm me down!

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Glad your Ok :thumbup:

Never got a bird so far .

I will never forget seeing my buddy getting one back in 80's rideing to

keys sea gull hit him in chest he was on KZ1000 I was on KZ1100

It did leave a mark :lol::lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts