GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, I would love to. I dont have enough time for the 2 bikes I have now.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
that GS would b about the ultimate bike for a trip to Alaska, the big 8.7 gallon gas tank sure would b nice sometimes

my only complaint would b it's so tall, loaded down with lots of gear it would become pretty top heavy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
gs

I agree. I am kinda sorta maybe thinking about the new Connie, but this GS rises to the top of the list. A wing and a GS would cover all the bases. And with 100 hp and that weight, I bet that GS really hauls. I wonder how it would do on the street with those tires.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Now that is a great looking bike. I also have been thinking about the new Connie. But, now Toyo you have me thinking that this bike might be a better choice. With the GL1800 and a bike like this BMW about all the bases would be covered. Thanks for the post!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I would love to have that BMW as a dual sport. Nice bike

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Toyo said:
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200gsa

I want one of these so bad, but I want to wait and see the new Connie coming out. What do I do? My checkbook is shaking on the counter.
I'll tell ya Steve, I have the 1200GS (not the GSA) and I ride it more than the wing. It can be a hand full on single track but back roads and fire trails are a blast. I am leaving on the GS in two weeks for a romp in the back country roads of Big Bend with some buds. Go gettcha one and join us.

Tom.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Toyo,

Here's the video I was telling you about where the guys ride around the world on a couple of BMWs. I don't remember if its the same model or not. Pretty good documentary though.

Long Way Round

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'D RIDE THE CONNIE 1ST / BUT THEN AGAIN I HAVE ONE / HOPE THERE GIVING TEST RIDES ON IT AT BIKE WEEK / I KNOW I CANT AFFORD 2 NEW BIKES BUT IN A YEAR OR TWO........

·
Registered
110 Posts
BlueWing said:
Now that is a great looking bike.
I guess it really IS in the eyes of the beholder. :roll:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My local dealer said the new Connie will be here in March, along with the new KLR 650. I think I will go visit my local Bimmer shop tommorow and see if they are willing to deal on one. That is the only bike that really gets my blood pumping just thinking about where all I can go and do on that bike. There is nothing that bike isnt built to do. It has all the heaters you would need, wind protection options are very good, etc. My biggest problem would be I wouldnt want to get it dirty the first time!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Toyo said:
My biggest problem would be I wouldnt want to get it dirty the first time!
That will pass very quickly... :twisted:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I picked mine up this past January 6th.
AWESOME AWESOME BIKE. LOOKS GREAT IN THE GARAGE ALONG SIDE THE WING TOO. PLEANTY OF GROUND CLEARANCE IN THE TWISTIES AND JUST TAKE A RIGHT ON THAT NEXT DIRT ROAD, NO PROBLEM.

DO NOT GO TO ATLANTA BMW IN MARIETTA.
THEY LET YOU TAKE THE BIKES OUT FOR TEST RIDES.

Go with the BMW Toyo. It's less filling and tastes great.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
buy a '05 or '06 1000 Vstrom with less than 5k miles for $6k, keep the wing and ride them both for a year or two until the kinks have been worked out of the new connie and the book value has dropped. Then pick up a low mileage connie from and impulse buyer for $9-10k and you'll have 3 great bikes!!!
Or you could own one new beemer.
I've been looking at the GS for years. I'm sure you've read about the faulty rear drives and the "drop in quality" over the last few years with BMW. Check www.sport-touring.net
www.fjrforum.com and some others. I do believe that the BMW are way overpriced and not as well built and more $$$ to maintain than Honda and Co.
That being said I still consider the RT and GS often.
Be sure to ride anything before buying though, one good advantage to beemer. The goldwing with its great fairing/windflow and all the fully faired bikes I've owned made the Vstrom intolerable to me but now that can be fixed with a good aftermarked windscreen (mpcycle design) lots of good info at www.vstrom.info
The GS like the Vstrom suffers from being so tall and having a small nearly upright and useless fairing that is far away from the rider, result=turbulent,noisy airflow/buffet.
I just called my insurance agent and ruled out the ZX14 as my next bike, the new FJR is looking better all the time.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts