GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding a CT for about 5,000 or 6,000 miles I have come to the conclusion that I prefer a M/C tire. In general I liked the CT except at slow speed over rough asphalt. Today I went back to a Bridgestone rear tire. The CT is not bad, I just had no confidence in slow speed maneuvers.
I now have a BF Goodrich 205/55R 16 tire with LOT of tread left on it sitting in my garage. If any one in or close to Bakersfield, CA wants the tire they can send me a PM and I will tell them how to get here and they can have the tire for free. It is a GForce Z rated tire.
Thanks, RogerB

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am sure this decision is right for you.
I find CT to promote disagreable handling characteristics. However, I think on a long straight trip with a loaded trailer the CT is premium.

Have you tried a 70 size motto tire. Many of us appreciate them.

Good luck. Drop in a line and share how the motto tire is working for you.

BTW. A Darksiding, in its original days, was simply a philosophy that accepted the application of off-market things that naysayers whine about. It was not just about having a CT. In fact, the original post-wars against the naysayers started over argument on the use of 70 size motto tires...anyways. God bless and good luck Roges

·
Registered
570 Posts
Roger,

No need to give up the number as your have darksided and given it a fair evaluation. Based on your fair testing it is your choice to go back to a MT. You have demostrated an open mind to explore and found it not to be your cup of tea. That is appreciated and you have earned your number by giving it a try. Do not go away as you have insight for others to consider your experiances that can be shared. You will always be a Darksider as you have experiance with the darkside.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
After riding a CT for about 5,000 or 6,000 miles I have come to the conclusion that I prefer a M/C tire. In general I liked the CT except at slow speed over rough asphalt. Today I went back to a Bridgestone rear tire. The CT is not bad, I just had no confidence in slow speed maneuvers.
I now have a BF Goodrich 205/55R 16 tire with LOT of tread left on it sitting in my garage. If any one in or close to Bakersfield, CA wants the tire they can send me a PM and I will tell them how to get here and they can have the tire for free. It is a GForce Z rated tire.
Thanks, RogerB
First, at least you tried it before you said it wasn't for you.:congrats:
But, that tire was not a Run Flat was it? I've found that a non RF handles a lot differently, in a negative way.

And lastly, your lacking confidence in slow speed manuevers, strangely, is the opposite of most.:?

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The "205" part of your tire size is whats doing you in. I really don't know why we are promoting this size. The tire may be more readily available, but the upside is greatly exceeded by the downside in handling.

With the vast amount of miles we get out of a CT, surely one would have time to get a CT size that will produce the satisfying qualities of a WOCT. If you were to try out a "175' width I can almost guarantee you would still be riding on it. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks, RogerB

Hi Roger..I looked at all the G Force tires that tire rack sells and of this list.
g-Force T/A KD
g-Force T/A KD SSS
Ultra High Performance Summer
g-Force Sport
g-Force T/A KDW
g-Force T/A KDW 2
Ultra High Performance All-Season
g-Force Super Sport A/S
g-Force T/A KDWS

The last one on the list is the only tire that shows a rounded edge.The others have a edge that I consider unfriendly to slow speed or good cornering maneuvers.(To much input needed)

I agree with the others,That a Non Run Flat tire tends to feel different than a RF tire does..And you picked a tire with a taller sidewall that the 195 that most are running.So this may have had something to do with what you were feeling at slower speeds on uneven blacktop..
I have tried a few different brands,and can tell you not all RF's are created equal as well..

You're about 3-4 hours north of me,And I'll offer my bike for you to ride to see how a Run Flat feels like.
We can meet in Ojai and ride the 33..

My only thoughts on this is to allow you to see what a RF feels like,Not to change your mind about what you decide is best for you...Besides I like riding that area as well..

I'll send you a PM with my contact info so we can chat.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
The "205" part of your tire size is whats doing you in. I really don't know why we are promoting this size. The tire may be more readily available, but the upside is greatly exceeded by the downside in performance and handling.

With the vast amount of miles we get out of a CT, surely one would have time to get a CT size that will produce the satisfying qualities of a WOCT. If you were to try out a "175' width I can almost guarantee you would still be riding on it. Cheers...:doorag:
You gotta do what you gotta do. Give the 175 a try before you throw in the towel. Slow speed handling is what I like best about it.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Roger very nice of u to offer to give away the car tire :thumbup:

u tried it and it was perfectly clear that u didn't like it

kinda sad that some folks just want to talk u into spending more money on another car tire or the wrong size motorcycle tire

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

kinda sad that some folks just want to talk u into spending more money on another car tire or the wrong size motorcycle tire
Or...we could be trying to help him experience the positives of using a CT on the Wing. It could be he based his decision on negatives that can be fixed with a better tire choice..

Kinda sad that some folks want you to ride around on a less-safe tire that wears out quicker.;)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

What's sadder is someone talking about a subject they have no experience with one way or another.. :wrong:

What you don't know is there is a difference between Regular and Run Flat radials in handling..

If I may.
What you consider "just want to talk u into"
We consider Helping out a fellow Darksider with knowledge from personal experience..There lies the difference.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Honesty
Open mindedness
Willingness

Seems to be the creed of the Darksiders

I'll need new tires about mid summer
and appreciate the pros and cons
from people who have tried both ways.
I don't see anything sinister about
people explaining what works for them.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Thanks, RogerB
I keep an MT mounted on a spare rim for the times when I am in between CTs. Then when I get back to the CT I appreciate it even more.

But, you have to go with what you feel safer on. I have not had a failure on any rear tires but I think it would be less catastrophic on the CT so that is what I ride. But I do most of my riding on the superslab commute.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I ditto Rocky's post above

I encourage you to take his offer also....Runflat vs NonRunFlats....Like day and night...

...mighty kind of ya Rocky! :yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I understand what you're talking about RogerB. The other day I was backing out of a parking spot and was backing over some really rough asphalt. I almost dropped the bike as the tire wanted to straighten the bike up on the flat side of the tire, the bottom. I know I'm not explaining this well but it was a very uncool looking manuveur keeping the bike upright. I also agree with the others that say the benefits of the tire out-weight these few issues with rough pavement. I'm staying with the ct to reap the obvious benefits.
(Gotta go, wifes here to take me for a colonoscopy,OH BOY!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
The "205" part of your tire size is whats doing you in. I really don't know why we are promoting this size. The tire may be more readily available, but the upside is greatly exceeded by the downside in performance and handling.

Im currently running a non runflat (see sig) and was wondering what the differences are between the two. I realize that running the 205 would make a difference but not sure of the other part

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

It is sad....I feel a tear :cry: coming on in my left eye ball. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I keep an MT mounted on a spare rim for the times when I am in between CTs. Then when I get back to the CT I appreciate it even more.

But, you have to go with what you feel safer on. I have not had a failure on any rear tires but I think it would be less catastrophic on the CT so that is what I ride. But I do most of my riding on the superslab commute.
i also keep a m/t mounted for in between ct changes. i just put the mt back on last night and i cant wait to get my new ct mounted and back on.
the bike for me is way more stable at low speeds and handles just as good going fast and turning. getting caught in slow moving trafic is no longer a chore.

good luck
freak

·
Registered
249 Posts
i also keep a m/t mounted for in between ct changes. i just put the mt back on last night and i cant wait to get my new ct mounted and back on.
the bike for me is way more stable at low speeds and handles just as good going fast and turning. getting caught in slow moving trafic is no longer a chore.

good luck
freak
I have the same set up. My spare has a M/C Stone, brand new and the CT is also new with about 1000 miles on it. I'm just trying different options, I really want to see if there is a difference between Run-Flat and what I'm currently running.Wondering if it is worth making the change.
Regards, Rick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts