GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on the way home tonight I wound up riding my wing to the ground.

Neither me or the wing are hurt badly. I have a couple of scrapes and a sore shoulder from trying to hold the bike up. The bike is in need of a front fender, and the exterior cowl parts above and below the headlights. and there is some scratches along the bottom of the right saddle bag.
The engine and saddle bag guards on the right side are scraped pretty bad too.

Now for the story....... I have to take full responsablity for going down I was not paying enough attention to what I was doing, its that simple.
I was doing three things wrong...

First - I took for granted a road I ride everyday will not bite me.
Second - I was riding in the center of a long on ramp something I don't usually do because the ramp is concrete and the center is always slippery.
Third - I was messing with the CB controls because I..... well just because.

Three wrong things to do in rush hour traffic.

Two cars ahead of me the guy braked real hard.....I am not sure why
The woman in front of me of course followed suit so as not to hit him.
Seeing, to late, what was going on I leaned hard on both brakes........remember the slippery center of the lane, you guessed it as soon as I hit the brakes the front wheel went into a skid and the bike was to far over to catch just that fast. Rode the bike all the way to the ground and rolled off. The bike slid just a little farther than me Just enough to bump into the small SUV in front of me. Hitting it right in the spare tire on the back door.....thats what took out the cowl parts....and the front fender rubbed the underside of the rear of the SUV, thats why the wing needs a new fender.

Well seems the only damage to the SUV is it will need a new spare tire cover, the vinyl was cut. No Problem.

Why do I admit to any of this.... well if only one of you learns from my lack of attention, and doesn't do what I did, then telling the story was worth it.

Please pay attention and ride SAFELY!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
First: Glad to hear that you were not injured badly.
Second: Did you have a car tire on the rear of your bike? A few interested persons would like to know.

·
Registered
582 Posts
non ABS

? ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad to hear that you weren't injured badly.
Complacency it will get us all one day. We all get comfortable on roads we ride every day then one day Surprise!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
goldwingnut said:
non ABS

? ? ? ? ? ?
I'm a big proponent of ABS, but all we can say here is that ABS might have helped keep the bike upright.

Sebringdcp- Sorry to hear about your mishap, but thanks for the heads-up! The damage could have been much worse, but right now it just looks like an expensive lesson learned. I'm glad you're able to come to the board and tell us your story.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
First, glad you OK, bike can be fixed, no you or us.

second, maybe this is why Honda made the GPS buttons disabled while moving?????

Right you are, be safe...

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i think ABS would have helped but who knows

pretty easy to get distracted by all those buttons, lots of folks will disagree but i think Honda did the rite thing making the ABS controlls useless while moving

glad you didn't get seriously hurt

·
Registered
524 Posts
Glad to hear you were not hurt and you posted this as a "wakeup call" for all of us that, at times, forget that we are on a motorcycle.

ABS will not help if you are following too close or tailgateing and not paying attention to what your doing.
It will let you hit the car/truck in front of you in an upright postion as opposed to locking your brakes up and going on your side.

Again Thanks for posting.

Dave

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Scott,

Really, really glad to hear that YOU are okay! :D

The bike can be repaired. It might cost several $$$$ but that's nothing.

Yeah, sometimes we screw up. :shock: It's part of the learning process. If it hurts when you do that; don't do that! (Professional advice: $50. Checks are welcomed! :lol: )

Once, I was 25 and indestructible. Now I am near 60 and fragile. :shock: It makes me a good condidate for "tail gunner". Always willing to go slower and help the guy (especially the gal) that pulls to the side. We can always catch up, or not.

I have been in some diesel spills. Not much fun at all! Believe me! At my age I don't need those kind of thrills!

Later......

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Ubon said:
Glad to hear you were not hurt and you posted this as a "wakeup call" for all of us that, at times, forget that we are on a motorcycle.

Again Thanks for posting.

Dave

Ditto, Thanks

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
richard h said:
Yeah, sometimes we screw up. :shock: It's part of the learning process. If it hurts when you do that; don't do that! (Professional advice: $50. Checks are welcomed! :lol: )
Sometimes, I'll got bang my head against the wall for a while....feels so good when I stop.

Glad you're okay, Scott.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ubon said:
ABS will not help if you are following too close or tailgateing and not paying attention to what your doing.
It will let you hit the car/truck in front of you in an upright postion as opposed to locking your brakes up and going on your....
I would describe potential of ABS to help slightly differently. ABS has potential to save your hide and your ride anywhere in any situation even if following too close and not paying attention. No guarantees of course. Seems like ABS riders will believe that ABS could have saved him while non ABS riders will believe the opposite.
I believe in ABS when perpendicular to pavement. When leaned over such as an on ramp all bets are off IMHO.
And always thanks for the heads up and swallowing your pride. It isn't a matter of if for the rest of us it is a matter of when.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Scott,

As with all the other comments I am glad you wern't hurt too badly. As everything the bike can be repaired and hopefully WE all learned something.

God Speed in your recovery, and thank you for sharing this with us!

FF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts