GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2011 Uni-Go on on June 10th. Ordered it and picked it up at Nick's BMW, De Pere, WI. Nick's BMW owners, Jim and Pat Eng, I found out are very nice people and their staff was first rate. I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for a new Uni-Go.

Assembly and installation of the included Bushtec hitch and the Uni-Go was delayed by some missing parts. After the handshakes and photographing I was on my way home with my new toy.

Heading to the Badlands in a week and a half.

(Uni-Go afficiandos will notice that the front grab bar is missing. Hopefully it will arrive at my house before the trip)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
The drawbar looks like it's mounted too high on the drawbar plate and that will cause the nose of the Uni-Go to ride too low and maybe drag in a corner. The front of the Uni-Go should be about 2 inches higher in the front than the rear for max ground clearance. With my Uni-Go the drawbar was mounted in the lower holes on the drawbar plate to get the front of the Uni-Go up.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Has anyone heard of the similar redone version of the Unigo by a company in Australia. He was suppose to come out with it by this summer.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your insight, Roadie. I will look into it.

Nick's BMW has assembled and connected 20+ Uni-Go's since they became a dealer 8+ plus years ago. I checked in on their setup of my trailer a couple of times and they were using a level, scissor jack, etc. to match the trailer to the bike prior to the actual permanent placement of the draw bar.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
Thank you for your insight, Roadie. I will look into it.

Nick's BMW has assembled and connected 20+ Uni-Go's since they became a dealer 8+ plus years ago. I checked in on their setup of my trailer a couple of times and they were using a level, scissor jack, etc. to match the trailer to the bike prior to the actual permanent placement of the draw bar.
OK, but just remember that with the trailer and bike loaded, and with a passenger on board, the rear of the bike will be lower than when empty...especally if the bike has OEM suspension....and watch out on driveway dips as the trailer will hit the pavement on one of those deeper dips unless you ride through at a angle....just my experience with the Uni-Go.

Another area with the Uni-Go that I should mention that IMO needs attention is the Bushtec Uni-Go hitch adapter for the Bushtec hitch.

With a single wheel trailer, the connection to the bike needs to be as stiff as possiable....any flex at the connection is a bad thing. If you push on the trailer while it's connected to the bike you will see there is quite a bit of flex at the 90 degree bend of the Bushtec hitch adapter, despite being made out of 1/2" inch thick steel flatbar. Push on the trailer and the trailer will move side to side with the bike just sitting still. That side to side flex could cause a high speed wobble with the Uni-Go, and at high speeds I mean around 75mph.....lots of owners have reported high speed wobble from time to time with the Uni-Go on different types of bikes. I believe with the late model Uni-Go's that the Bushtec hitch adapters flex is the main cause of high speed wobble when being towed by the GL1800.

What I did to correct the issue was to take some 2"x 1/4" thick steel flatbar and welded it to the front side and bottom of the the hitch adapter to reinforce the 90 degree bend of the adapter. That extra metal thickness removed the flex at the 90 degree bend and made the whole connection to the bike much stiffer. After the mods, when you push on the trailer side to side the whole rig moves together and not just the trailer. Well worth the effort to do this easy and simple mod. My Uni-Go would pull stable at 90 mph fully loaded and never wobbled after the mods....before the mods there were a few times that the Uni-Go grabbed my attention at 75 mph.

Here's a few pictures of a the stock Bushtec hitch adapter and one that was modified.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for your input, Roadie. I had already noted your hitch enhancements and have a buddy who is versed in welding.

Don't want to do the any mods before our Badlands trip, but will consider it after we get back based upon my experiences on this trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts