GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I asked this under the tech board and go ZERO responses - maybe someone on this board could respond.

I’ve gone nuts once again and after only 6 weeks and 4000+ miles I had my seat modified by WingSoft and added a Utopia backrest as well.

I ordered the 2006 Honda Service Manual three weeks ago and was told it would be in within 2 or 3 days –now the dealer says they are on back order. Figures since I need to hook up some electronic stuff.

I just received the DVD set from Fred but I am sure I will not find the answer to my questions regarding electrical add-ons. All I know is another box shows up with each new day.

I bought the accessory outlet for the left pocket and bought the plug with dual leads to bring power into the left pocket so that one is easy. But I have 4 other electrical connections I need to make and would like some advice.

1. I have to install a Gerbing Thermostat. It needs to be connected directly to the battery but where to mount the controller itself is the issue. It has to be surface mounted and I really haven’t seen any suggestions posted as of yet that I like.

2. I bought the Back-Off unit that goes Wig-Wag but from what I've read on this site I may return it for the standard one since its installation seems very complicated. Then again, maybe it's not so bad once you start.

3. I bought the wire that converts the LED’s in the rear spoiler from only a brake light to both a running light and a brake light.

4. I have a license plate frame with a running/braking set of HyperLights. Someone helped me take it off my last bike and left me with about 2 inches of wire and no plug of any kind.

As I stated I do not have the shop manual so the wiring is a mystery to me. I’ve got to get these things done before for my ride from NJ to Biketoberfest in Daytona next month. I would appreciate your feedback on how to best connect this type of stuff or maybe a link to some posting you may have come across.

The only other thing I need to do is to add a cell phone interface. I have the Nav system and do not want a radar unit beeping in my ear so I am only looking to connect the phone. I think Kennedy (cellset.com) may have what I need.

Oh yea, I just found 25 cents in my pocket so on the 19th of October I am having Progressive Springs installed in the front and rear while at Daytona.

Then that is it – NO MORE SPENDING MONEY ON MORE STUFF!

Thanks for any info and RIDE SAFE.

DonNJ

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
LOL... well, I can't really help you on the electronics front with the rear lighting and such.

But.. in re question #1... I take it that you have the permanent moount controller.

There are a few options that people have used.

Check out the following topic thread, where we were just discussing this last week:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Where do you live?

You're more than welcome to come over and I will help you install (read I'll do it for you) all that stuff. I've got the Wig-Wag on my bike and I've installed many other electrical things.

There's just not enough time to type all the instructions and I don't remember the link to other threads with this info.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Rastoff,

Thanks for offering your help to another in need.

Now, can you come to STL and help me figure out this posting of pictures thing with the free software that resizes and make popcorn pop faster?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rastoff,

Hi Rastoff,

Unfortunately I live in New Jersey so it is a little far to travel to take you up on your offer. If only the service manual would show up. Thanks.

RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
DonNJ,
What's the deal? Affraid of a little ride? Just kidding ya.

I'm sorry I can't offer more help. There is a good post about the Wig-Wag, but I can't find it. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will figure it out once the manual comes in.

twyn,
The pictures thing is answered here:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=678

And the free resizing software is here:
http://www.gimp.org/

Anything else I can help with?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

DonNJ,
I feel some of yer pain, I have been there fought through and surprisingly to me I won!!
There are many folks on the board here from NJ (must be the water).
I'm gonna drop a manhole cover here versus just a dime, Soloquest aka Floyd has done quite a bit of electrical stuff to his Wing and he knows his stuff, if ya look him up I'll bet he can share what he has done via e-mail or on the phone and he can be coaxed into a roadtrip or 2 for the correct event. :wink:
Just food for thought. I know we had many, many folks from the DuPont State at CatsCade and they as a group had some Wings stacked with add-ons.
Give 'em a shot, can't hurt. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Rasty & Jon, When ya comming over to my garage? Have lot's of stuff for you guys to play with...LOL

Pay is poor though. Fresh cookies is about as good as I can do...>LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Bulldog said:
Rasty & Jon, When ya comming over to my garage? Have lot's of stuff for you guys to play with...LOL

Bulldog
As soon as the plane ticket shows up in the mail....

Mmmm...cookies...mmmm...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Rastoff said:
Bulldog said:

Bulldog
As soon as the plane ticket shows up in the mail....

Mmmm...cookies...mmmm...
Them cookies is mine!

Best thing to do is ask around who is the go-to guy for electrical in your area. If you hate it, doing it won't make it better.....trust me.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Them cookies is mine!
Spoken like someone that grew up in the California school system. Would you trust your machine to someone with those grammar skills?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Don,

I believe with your 2006 Goldwing you received a years membership to the Honda Riders Club of America, (HRCA). If you log into the HRCA Clubhouse, http://hrca.honda.com/ as a paid HRCA Clubhouse Member, you can view one digital service manual per membership year. Most models are available from 1994 to present. Once a vehicle service manual is selected, you will not be able to view any other service manuals for the remainder of your current membership year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts