GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x
It was 32F today when I went for my ride. 25 miles to my daughters place to deliver some oil. On the way home the sun was just about down and the temps got down to 30F. Damn it was cold. By the time I got home the ends of my fingers were numb. My legs were pretty cold as well and I got in the house ....stripped and jumped into the hottub. Man did that feel good.
Well it looks like the riding is done for this season unless I get some Gerbings to keep me warm. :wink:

Then again the snow will be flying soon and I certainly will not be riding in that (snow)!!

You guys in the southern states are lucky to have the weather you do and can ride most year round. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't want to rub salt in the wound but ......... :D :D :D

Kickback in AZ.

·
Registered
824 Posts
8PM and it's a colllld 50 degrees :D

·
Chard Member
13,052 Posts
No complaints here! Going to get cold Sat & Sun though. Only going to be in the 60's. Looks like I might have to pull out a jacket for riding this weekend! :(

I feel for you Guys. I still remember what it was like sitting on the bike in the heated garage making motorcycle sounds. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's all good but remember that in August we Texans have to ride in 99 degree heat at 11:30 at night so it balances. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm in the winter but I can't get naked enough to stay cool in a Texas summer. :D

S

·
0 Posts
I was heading home tonight at 7:00pm dark and cold 32 and I got behind a fellow on a harley - no wind shield or helmet just gloves and jacket. I was cold just looking at this guy.

I cranked the heat up just a bit more :roll:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Don, get the Gerbings. I ride in weather like that and I am never cold. Not bad for a freeze baby.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well guess what I hate??????? :twisted: I hate comming all the way to Hawaii , from the east coast, and getting sick on the first day. :cry: :cry:
Thank goodness I have two more weeks. It was unusually rainy the first 3 day, check it out, 3 days. Same amount of time that I have been sick. Just pitiful. Joy in drug lala land. (medicine of course)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do think about you Northerners when I ride to work in the morning and it's in the high 30's................BBrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it takes me 30 minutes just to thaw out. How do these guys do it!!! BUT it's 75 at lunch time, so I take the Fatboy out for a cruise and thank god I don't live in snow country!!!.........So the cold mornings are sort of worth it. :roll:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don,

I rode yesterday also in 32 degree weather. I don't have heated clothing but I do wear long johns under my jeans, a leather jacket, a snowmobile suit over the jeans and jacket, and a balaclava. Yes, I do look like the Michelin Man (even without all the extra clothing!) but I was very comfortable. Winter riding is great if you dress for it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My legs were pretty cold as well and I got in the house ....stripped and jumped into the hottub. Man did that feel good.
Don,
I just bought a pair of chaps with a lining in them yesterday. It got down to 45 indicated and my legs were actually a little too warm. I was VERY surprised at how well they worked.[/quote]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want out!

Been in Michigan for 42 years. I want to move south (almost as much as my wife) but.... There is a small matter of owning a resort and a full time job that I have not found a solution to YET!!! Resort is for sale, job-trying to come up with ideas. :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
kpb46,

Most of us don't have the option of living in the south in the winter and in the north during the summer.

As for living year-round in the south--I can't take the heat and humidity of Florida's summers and the EXTREME heat of Arizona's summers.

So, I'll content myself with bundling-up and enjoying the occasional winter days when the sun is shining and roads are clear and dry. Besides, there's nothing like like the looks I get when I'm riding my cycle here in January. (I got plenty of strange looks when I was riding here a couple of days ago.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Hate It !!!!

Don,
Quite your belly aching!!!!! :D At least you can ride :( The Motor pinkin is dead, :cry: All I can do is dream of the day my leg heals and I have the check in hand from "the other guys insurance company :x

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking of frozen fingers

I haven't had that experience since I bought my '02. The 2 reasons are that I have heated grips for the first time in my riding life and love them. Second reason is that I live in California and consider 47 degrees as too cold to ride. Do I have to turn in my "Live to Ride" tatoo?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
8) I had my leather pants over my jeans. No long johns though. I should have had them on and it would have helped. I had a long sleave shirt and a sweat shirt on under my leather jacket with liner. I had a hard time getting my leg over the seat with everything on. :roll:

Oh well.....some day we will be able to go south for a break from the cold and snow. But for now we'll just tough it out. :cry:

I must say I do like the 4 seasons we have but just wish the winter was only a month long. :)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hey Waterwings, I hear you. The goldwing sits in the garage ALL of the summer days for me. It just comes out at night. The only exception is going to weekend events like the Hoot, etc.. I have been cruizing to work most of the last 5 weeks now that the temperatures have dropped.

The Goldwing is definitely a winter bike. If it is above 84, I don't enjoy it. I can't get any air, and the wife says the wing things on the side of the fairing are way to ugly to put on. I am considering a 2nd bike for next summer, unless I take the whole fairing off :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts