GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to admit it, but I put moto sneakers on so I could ride at track days. been wanting to do that for a long time just so i could let it all out without worrying about dogs, loose gravel, guard rails and semis on the wrong side of a tight curve. They wouldnt let me register with a car tire on the rear, although when I got there no one bothered to look at my rear tire. Had a good time and even though most of them passed me [all crotch rockets], I did manage to pass one Ducati, he probably went home crying.
I also hate to admit it, but the bike was much easier to steer with the moto sneaker. I have 130K continuous miles on CT's so one could say I got used to CT's and it was quite a revelation to feel how much nimbler the bike felt with the MT. It was also a lot tippier when stopping for a traffic light.

Now that I've done it, I am ready to put on my new Kumho RF and do Rockies Gold and not worry about catastrophic rear tire failure and the tire wearing out before I get home.
Andy

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I put moto sneakers on so I could ride at track days. been wanting to do that for a long time just so i could let it all out without worrying about dogs, loose gravel, guard rails and semis on the wrong side of a tight curve. They wouldnt let me register with a car tire on the rear, although when I got there no one bothered to look at my rear tire. Had a good time and even though most of them passed me [all crotch rockets], I did manage to pass one Ducati, he probably went home crying.
I also hate to admit it, but the bike was much easier to steer with the moto sneaker. I have 130K continuous miles on CT's so one could say I got used to CT's and it was quite a revelation to feel how much nimbler the bike felt with the MT. It was also a lot tippier when stopping for a traffic light.

Now that I've done it, I am ready to put on my new Kumho RF and do Rockies Gold and not worry about catastrophic rear tire failure and the tire wearing out before I get home.
Andy
:eek:4:eek:h my! You put on a MT. You need to be praying to some DS god somewhere for your evil ways:lol:.

Glad you got to do your track day and the transition back to the MT wasn't too difficult. It sounds like a bunch of fun.

Funny about the dude on the Ducati.

See you in WV. Be safe.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep.
I ran a CT for 7 years.

Then I bought a new 08. Soon I found out about Traxxion and got that upgrade.

My smile got bigger.

Then I put centramatics on the bike.

My smile grew even bigger.

Then I wanted to know about the new Avon Cobra, so bought one and put it on the bike.
Uh oh............

I had to use duck tape to keep my smile under control, I was afraid my face would crack.

I will use a CT on tour, two up. Other than that, no way , I do enjoy the return to the balance and the deal where you just think and the bike goes that way.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

Andy
Cool would love a day on a track myself. I have also had MT 's on my new ish to me wing as of lately. I agree with ya, most of my experience was great except gravel on road in corners was unnerving to say the least. Still sticking with my 10% more effort to do same things with car tire. The good outweigh the bad easily. For me %10 ain't nothing.Translates to, I get %10 more tired when I play super hard with wing in transitioning in curves. Also I believe car tires are way more forgiving so I have became lazy picking the exact right lines for corners as I became aware riding with WV Cardinal. :oops: that's a relief because I thought I was getting old . Now that's a big load off my mind.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Cool would love a day on a track myself. I have also had MT 's on my new ish to me wing as of lately. I agree with ya, most of my experience was great except gravel on road in corners was unnerving to say the least. Still sticking with my 10% more effort to do same things with car tire. The good outward the bad easily. For me %10 ain't nothing.Translates to, I get %10 more tired when I play super hard with wing in transitioning in curves. Also I believe car tires are way more forgiving so I have became lazy picking the exact right lines for corners as I became aware riding with WV Cardinal. :oops: that's a relief because I thought I was getting old . Niw that's a big load off my mind.
Say it ain't so!:22yikes:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Rail, talked to a guy from Black Hawk Farms raceway at the Rockerbox and he said he'd love to have Wing come do track days at their facility. I didn't mention the car tire but I don't think that would be a problem. Shouldn't be too far from you too.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Andy, Glad you enjoyed track days! Sounds like fun without all the worries of ever day riding.

·
Registered
297 Posts
heavy man..

You mentioned that your bike felt "nimbler". I think I understand why. After putting the kumho on mine, I noticed that the bike felt, well, more sluggish. I attributed it to the extra weight in the new tire. The Kumho was about 25 lbs. The factory tire is about 15 I believe. 10lbs rotating mass is a lot!! Horsepower gone in the name of getting a nifty sticker for the rear fender and membership in our club!:thumbup: If I were going to actually try and put down a 1/4 mile pass or a lap at a road course, I would want a bike tire on back just for the horsepower..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
You mentioned that your bike felt "nimbler". I think I understand why. After putting the kumho on mine, I noticed that the bike felt, well, more sluggish. I attributed it to the extra weight in the new tire. The Kumho was about 25 lbs. The factory tire is about 15 I believe. 10lbs rotating mass is a lot!! Horsepower gone in the name of getting a nifty sticker for the rear fender and membership in our club!:thumbup: If I were going to actually try and put down a 1/4 mile pass or a lap at a road course, I would want a bike tire on back just for the horsepower..
Well they make CT's that weight the same as MT :thumbup: Thats why I run the tires that I do they are nimbler, lighther and handle better :yes1:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Rail, talked to a guy from Black Hawk Farms raceway at the Rockerbox and he said he'd love to have Wing come do track days at their facility. I didn't mention the car tire but I don't think that would be a problem. Shouldn't be too far from you too.
Pm sent :excited:
Well they make CT's that weight the same as MT :thumbup: Thats why I run the tires that I do they are nimbler, lighther and handle better :yes1:
:agree: sadly there is drawback for some ,not all riders who want run flat capabilities.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Pm sent :excited:

:agree: sadly there is drawback for some ,not all riders who want run flat capabilities.
Agree with you my friend :thumbup: But I have been riding for over 30 years never had a run flat than and don't feel I need one now:yes1:. I don't start my bike up everyday and ride it in fear of something going to happen. I am a firm believer that when something bad is going to happen it is just going to happen no matter what you are doing at that time. Gee I am dieng from Cancer not going to worry about stinkin tires LMAO :joke:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Agree with you my friend :thumbup: But I have been riding for over 30 years never had a run flat than and don't feel I need one now:yes1:. I don't start my bike up everyday and ride it in fear of something going to happen. I am a firm believer that when something bad is going to happen it is just going to happen no matter what you are doing at that time. Gee I am dieng from Cancer not going to worry about stinkin tires LMAO :joke:
I hear ya and you know I fell the same . Fear is overrated. I have had tires go down and still I have no worries. But I am me not anybody else and quite happy about that. I am done with this again as I do not want a battle of a typing to start with the run flat community. I just want to eat cookies and ride. I am excited by the way Harvey is coming through Wi.:excited::thumbup::coffee1: This news is going to make my whole day better !! Have a great day all, I am off with wife riding over to the great Mississippi River:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I hear ya and you know I fell the same . Fear is overrated. I have had tires go down and still I have no worries. But I am me not anybody else and quite happy about that. I am done with this again as I do not want a battle of a typing to start with the run flat community. I just want to eat cookies and ride. I am excited by the way Harvey is coming through Wi.:excited::thumbup::coffee1: This news is going to make my whole day better !! Have a great day all, I am off with wife riding over to the great Mississippi River:thumbup:
Have fun my friend pouring rain here all day :cry::cry::cry: Enjoy yourself and please tell Harvey i said Hi will you been along time since I talked to him and the chief :thumbup: Later :yes1:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Actually, there are a number of CT that weigh less than the Dunlop E3 OEM tire.

Motorcycle (MT) tires/OEM sizes
Avon Cobra weighs 17.6 lb
Bridgestone-G704 Radial weighs 19.6 lb
Dunlop E3 Radial weighs 21.135 lb

Car tires (CT) from mfg data
Run-Flat (RF)
Kumho 195/55-16 CT weighs 24.7 lb
Pirelli 195/55-16 [email protected] CT weighs 25 lb

Non Run-Flat (NRF)
Falken 195/55-16 CT weighs 20.4 lb
Toyo Proxes T1R 195/55-16 weighs 18.3 lb
Bridgestone EP100 195/55-16 weighs 21 lb