GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....I know there are a number of threads on this...and I have read up a bit.

The issue is...on my '08 I noticed that the grips no longer would heat...and I am quite sure the seat is not heating either (though hard to tell as it is around 85 here).

What I have done:
Checked both the fuses...and those are good.
Pulled the passenger backrest off and that plug is connected.
Pulled the drivers seat off and that plus is connected.
Switched out a relay with a known good relay (and still a no go on heat).
Pulled the right cubby off and did a continuity test on both the grips...and both have continuity.

With that....I am at a loss

I am not hugely knowledgeable in terms of all things electrical on the bike so if you have a response ...dumb it down a bit. Haha

I would appreciate any assist. I ride year round and heated grips/seat are def a must for me

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Here is the easy way to help isolate if it is a grip or seat issue. Be sure to start this test with grips and both seat turned off. Then, go for a 20 min ride, and as soon as you start out, turn the grips on. What needs to be known is if they come on and quit while riding. Sometime they will not come on at all, while on most they will come on and quit after about 15mins. If they don't come on at all, there is no need to do the grip test any further. If they quit after 15mins, that info is important to report back.

Next, turn the heated grips off, and turn the key off. Then key on and go for a another ride, but this time only turn the riders seat on. Unfortunately, this test will probably be useless in your warm climate. You will need to wait for a colder day. However, when it is colder you can try. The length of ride for the seat test is 40mins. If the riders seat is bad it will usually quit after 30 mins. Then, riders seat off, key off, key on and do the seat test all over again but this time with the passenger seat on. Again for 40 mins. This is best done with a co-rider to monitor the rear seat to tell if it is working.

For the grip test, in 85deg temp around here I am able to tell if the grips are working.

There are other ways to test the system. but this method is usually comes with adventure and the joy of riding. It helps to isolate which of the 3 system is faulting. If multiple heat systems are on, and any of the 3 fault out, all 3 will quit.

Does your seat have one of those back rests with a hole in the seat ???

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
........and to just be sure.

Its pretty hot here in central Ohio currently

Does both the seat and the grips fail to come on if the ambient temp is high?

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
........and to just be sure.

Its pretty hot here in central Ohio currently

Does both the seat and the grips fail to come on if the ambient temp is high?
Only the seats have thermistors in them. The grip heat is all controlled by the switch.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an Ultimate on the bike, so no hole. I can get at the heating connection with the passenger backrest off with no problem

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also....going back to your testing..

A week or so ago, I had ridden it to work (mid 50's) which was how I knew the grips were not working. They never came on. Of course it was about a 15 min ride....but just an fyi

Does that tell you anything?

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Also....going back to your testing..

A week or so ago, I had ridden it to work (mid 50's) which was how I knew the grips were not working. They never came on. Of course it was about a 15 min ride....but just an fyi

Does that tell you anything?
Yes ... it means that your grips don't heat. Now we need to know if your seat does not work too, to know if some part is affecting all, or just the grips.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the seat goes....I had the bike running for about 10 min..sat on it....grips off seat on....and I felt nothing. Once again though...hot outside.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes ... it means that your grips don't heat. Now we need to know if your seat does not work too, to know if some part is affecting all, or just the grips.

Just for the heck of asking....
Say the seat is working.....what could be affecting the grips not working?

Also....to add to this conversation...
When I have a problem with the bike I tend to go back and look at what I have just done to it previous..mod wise...to see if that caused the issue.
What I have done to it....in the lid of the trunk, I did put a showchrome usb charging point. I tapped into a connection that was not being used.
Also...I put passenger armrest on the bike. Not that I think this would have done anything...but I am just throwing it out there for conversation sake

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
The easiest thing to do is follow the steps in post #2 and gather as much info as possible. It helps to narrow your symptom down.

Or start diagnosing the system per the Service Manual > lights>meters>switches > seat and grip heated section > troubleshooting

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Just for the heck of asking....
Say the seat is working.....what could be affecting the grips not working?

Also....to add to this conversation...
When I have a problem with the bike I tend to go back and look at what I have just done to it previous..mod wise...to see if that caused the issue.
What I have done to it....in the lid of the trunk, I did put a showchrome usb charging point. I tapped into a connection that was not being used.
Also...I put passenger armrest on the bike. Not that I think this would have done anything...but I am just throwing it out there for conversation sake
If any part of the system is disconnected, the entire system will not work. Is the passenger backrest connected ???

To check, remove both back-rest screws on the inside of the tank lid. They should each have a washer under their heads. Then, with the lid in the lowered position, on the back-rest, pull out from the bottom and gently push up. You will then see the connector.

If it is heated grip only issues, the next thing to do is pull the shelter, verify that the heated grips are connected, then disconnect them and ohm out the grips.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The backrest is confirmed connected...as is the drivers seat connect

I think I am going to be pulling the shelter off next

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question...in the lid of the trunk, those wires are known for breaking. I fixed 3 or 4 of them when I bought the bike. I have recently been told that some of those wires are for heating. Is that info correct? Would that be a place to look?

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Question...in the lid of the trunk, those wires are known for breaking. I fixed 3 or 4 of them when I bought the bike. I have recently been told that some of those wires are for heating. Is that info correct? Would that be a place to look?
I believe you are correct. The backrest wires will need a power and a ground. Without looking at a wiring diagram, I'm not be able to tell you if the wires route through the right or left hinge. However, without looking someone else might know.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I broke into the wires on the right side of the trunk, as that is where the connection is for the backrest heater is. None of the wires are broken. CAn I assume (if u know)..that the wires on the left side have nothing to do with anything heat related? Just trying to avoid breaking into them as I have them wrapped pretty well

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...annnnnd just for the heck of it...broke into the wires on the left side of the trunk and all is well.

I think I am going to have to take the shelter off at this juncture

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You may be able to reach the left and right grip connectors without having to take off the shelter. Unless you are a glutton for punishment. If you remove the right pocket, you may have to reach around a bit but should be able to reach the connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
But if you do end up taking off the shelter, here is a little tip. Take a spare piece of cardboard and punch small holes in it and then as you take out the bolts, put them in order to where they are positioned. It makes it a lot easier when it.comes time to reinstall as there are different sized bolts. I dont have a photo of the shelter but I do have one when I was removing the cowl/fairing...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here is the easy way to help isolate if it is a grip or seat issue. Be sure to start this test with grips and both seat turned off. Then, go for a 20 min ride, and as soon as you start out, turn the grips on. What needs to be known is if they come on and quit while riding. Sometime they will not come on at all, while on most they will come on and quit after about 15mins. If they don't come on at all, there is no need to do the grip test any further. If they quit after 15mins, that info is important to report back.

Next, turn the heated grips off, and turn the key off. Then key on and go for a another ride, but this time only turn the riders seat on. Unfortunately, this test will probably be useless in your warm climate. You will need to wait for a colder day. However, when it is colder you can try. The length of ride for the seat test is 40mins. If the riders seat is bad it will usually quit after 30 mins. Then, riders seat off, key off, key on and do the seat test all over again but this time with the passenger seat on. Again for 40 mins. This is best done with a co-rider to monitor the rear seat to tell if it is working.

For the grip test, in 85deg temp around here I am able to tell if the grips are working.

There are other ways to test the system. but this method is usually comes with adventure and the joy of riding. It helps to isolate which of the 3 system is faulting. If multiple heat systems are on, and any of the 3 fault out, all 3 will quit.

Does your seat have one of those back rests with a hole in the seat ???
Good info there, Greg. Thanks.

On the bold part -- my recent experience with a bad grip (turned out to be a pinched wire) was weird. The seat would work even with fuse 29 blown and the grips on but not working. How does that square up with the "one and done" standard fail mode? It surprised me even more than my stupidity at pinching the wire.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
But if you do end up taking off the shelter, here is a little tip. Take a spare piece of cardboard and punch small holes in it and then as you take out the bolts, put them in order to where they are positioned. It makes it a lot easier when it.comes time to reinstall as there are different sized bolts. I dont have a photo of the shelter but I do have one when I was removing the cowl/fairing...
+1 to that. I used to do it until I kicked my cardboard. D'oh! Since then, I changed my method: I used a Sharpie to tick lines on each bolt, radial out -- 1 for the lowest bolt, 2 for the second, and so on.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts