GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which is normal. Here is what is going on.

I have a '08 level 3. (bought in 10) The front tire was replaced and at the same time centramatics where installed. Yes, I did all the work. Followed some of the advice here and the maintenance manual. Everything seemed fine until last night.

My friend bought an used 08 level 1 (only 2k miles on it) so it really is new. We were talking about the linked brakes and anti-dive. I was showing him something (can't remember, I've slept since then) and as I held the front brake and bounce the bike it was different than mine.

When I bounce mine I get about 2-3 bounces then it stops, it feels like the AD has activated and locked up the fork. On his, this doesn't happen, it continues to bounce. I checked to see if his AD was deactivated but with the back brake applied the front does not bounce, therefore it isn't deactivated, nor is mine.

I've check my wheel/fork alignment again to be sure I didn't screw that up it's all good. I don't know if my bike did this before I replaced the front wheel or not.

So, which is normal? I'm leaning towards his. Where should I start looking? I'm thinking back and reinstalled the front tire.

TIA
Tree

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
It might have been your test. If you push the bike and the front tire rolls while you are bouncing it with the front brake applied the ADV will activate. If the wheel doesn't roll any it won't activate. This is because the front wheel has to roll while you are applying the front brake to cause it to lift the left caliper and push the plunger of the secondary master cylinder, applying the ADV and the rear brake. If it just bounces and doesn't roll then the left caliper won't be raised and the ADV and rear brakes won't be applied.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Vendor
18,130 Posts
It might have been your test. If you push the bike and the front tire rolls while you are bouncing it with the front brake applied the ADV will activate. If the wheel doesn't roll any it won't activate. This is because the front wheel has to roll while you are applying the front brake to cause it to lift the left caliper and push the plunger of the secondary master cylinder, applying the ADV and the rear brake. If it just bounces and doesn't roll then the left caliper won't be raised and the ADV and rear brakes won't be applied.
Diddo to all that. Do they both have Honda brake pads or is someone running aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diddo to all that. Do they both have Honda brake pads or is someone running aftermarket ones?

I know mypads are stock and I would assume his are too because of the low milage and nothing else on the bike is modified. He will be in to work at midnight so I can test them side by side. I will post the results when I get done.

Tree

·
Registered
581 Posts
My opinion would be that the bike that keeps bouncing is more of a problem. I upgraded my suspension about 4 years ago, RaceTech plus springs. It's difficult to get much bouncing, but on mine it bounces once and that's it. I know with the upgrades it's not comparable, but I would think the bike that keeps bouncing is sloppy. I'll be curious what the results are when you retest.

·
Vendor
18,130 Posts
I know mypads are stock and I would assume his are too because of the low milage and nothing else on the bike is modified. He will be in to work at midnight so I can test them side by side. I will post the results when I get done.

Tree
Then if they have the same pads and if you test them the same you should get the same results.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it appears to be the way I was testing is the culprit. A slight incline will make a difference. On a flat surface the caliper must turn just enough to activate the secondary master cylinder.

Thanks for all the help.

Tree

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, it appears to be the way I was testing is the culprit. A slight incline will make a difference. On a flat surface the caliper must turn just enough to activate the secondary master cylinder.

Thanks for all the help.

Tree
Now that you found out that your anti dive valve is working....Disable that sucker and put some stiffer front springs in and you'll be good to go.

Jeff..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff, that is on the list. Probably a winter project along with a few more items.

Tree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts