GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but this stuff really irritates me. So I have to get it out of my chest :roll:

99% of usl bought our bikes around $16K to $18K range.

Then at least 75% of us put minimum $2K worth of chrome, CB and some other stuff.

So, we can easily say that 75% of the Wing riders bikes approximately cost about $18,000 to $20,000.

Everything on this lovely bike looks great.

Except, those DARN CUPHOLDERS :x :evil:

One of them (whoever makes it) the light brown color and the other one which is the Butler (even though it may be functional) looks like a beer keg attached to your handle bar.

For God's sake why no one can come up with a slick, aerodynamic looking modern cup holders.

I mean while regular automotive cupholders (even the fancy ones) are around 10-15 bucks, we are paying $49.95 and we have the ugliest looking things for cupholders.

In my opinion they look as irrelevant as like somebody put a wood burning stove on a space ship.

Are these stuff cost an arm and leg to build?
Is that why no one comes up with a better design?

Don't they know a really cool looking cupholder for wings will sell thousands?

Guess what business I'll be going into next?

Whewww, I am relieved :!: :!: :D

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hey, I used to drive out to Lake Elsinore about once a month when I lived in Irvine. Good ol' Ortega Highway. Also, there was a neat little breakfast place across from Mission San Juan Capistrano. All glass. Been a few years. Also found out the Capistrano Hot Tubs are gone.... sigh. Now about cup holders, what you got in mind?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
It is on my list of things to do TTD

I have felt the same way aobut cupholders since day one. Hopefully, I can have a better holder out this year.

G

·
0 Posts
I think it's a liability issue...if a real good cup holder is designed it will sell in huge numbers, someone is bound to buy one, set a mug of hot coffee in it, drive over a bump, spill the hot coffee, burn themselves, and then sue the maker of the cup holder. It's the Mcdonalds syndrome
:rain1:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be designed to sell only after buyer signs a waiver.

Or it could be sold for usage with ONLY COLD DRINKS...

After all a GW is not a snowmobile 90% of the time we need a cold drink when we're on it.

But again good point Javern. I think that sugar keeps you alert! :wink:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I wished that did not ring so true.

The sue happy society seems to be without bounds.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use the cup holder for. In our case I got two heavy plastic Bicycle Water Bottle Cages from Performance and attached them to the handlebars with 3/8" wide Ty-Raps. The Black Cages blend in real nice with the Handlebars and don't swing around. We use Pop-Top Water Bottles in them and keep a few tops handy for Cold Cokes out of the cooler in the Hack. When it is real HOT we have several frozen bottles of water in the cooler that are normaly just right when the time comes that we are ready for a cool drink.

In the Winter we have a few "Insulated" Pop-Top bottles for Coffee but have yet to find one that will stay warm more than a few miles. Perhaps we shouldn't go ridden at 30 deg in the snow but that's another story.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey, I'm one of those people with a Butler installed on the left side of my handlebars. I'm into function before style. It works very well for me and I'd hate to be without it. Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that. But I'm not going to vent by saying how much I dislike this or that accessory, even though I recognize your right to do so. Fortunately, I'm not taking this (or any other post) personally. I hope that Tom or someone comes up with a better and more functional design ... and then I'll evaluate what they're offering and make a decision as to whether I want to keep the "ugly" Butler cup or go with the new product. To each his own!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree......I have a Butler that I have modified greatly to improve on both it's looks and ease of use and it's still ugly. I too am working on a new idea for a cup holder and a few other things.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
I'm too old to play baseball anymore; so I don't need so cup holder!

prs

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I don't think that this one is so awful. It blends in and the color is right. It is adjustable for different sized cups. The color of the mounting bracket "washed out" because of the flash from the camera.

If the only choice out there was the Butler.... I'd do without. Just too big.

I have three cars, two are from the late 80's and one is from the 90's. And how many cupholders do those three cars have.... NONE. Not a single cup holder amongst the three of them.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Why not take the butler cup design, and make a pop in replacement lid for the gas cap cover. unscrew the original cover, screw on the new plastic with side tabs. The lid could be pulled off for gas refill. Then just add a vinyl straw with a check valve in the cup. Some velcro on the jacket, and the rest is drinkable.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ever thought about finding a nice view, pulling over, opening up the trunk, getting out the thermos, having a cup of coffee and take in the view?

Why are we in such a rush we have to drink on the run? Or do we have to have a place to put the coffee while we answer the cell?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
IR Harry said:
Ever thought about finding a nice view, pulling over, opening up the trunk, getting out the thermos, having a cup of coffee and take in the view?
I'm with you Harry....stop, enjoy the veiw(s), a bit of liquid refreshment, perhaps a snack, conversation, etc, etc, etc.... 8)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Butler mug

I agree the Butler is the prettiest thing on the market but I love mine. It's always very nice when tooling around to take a nice refreshing sip that seems to revitalize you. We do stop and take in the scenery and it's nice to take that mug to the picnic table or the overlook.

I agree it's ugly and the price is ridiculous. I still like it until something better comes along!!!
Eddie :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course stopping and having a drink will be great.
But we have our thermos in the trunk for that reason.
If that was the case nobody will ever need a cup holder. :roll:

I agree with the enjoyment and relaxation part of it but unfortunately many of us are not retired and do not have all the time in the world for cruising around this lovely country without worrying of our time limitations.

Some of us have to squeeze a 4-5000 mile trip within a week or so.

Well if we stop and enjoy the view everytime we need a sip of cold water during summertime our one week vacation will not take us too far.

I wish my boss could understand that and extend my summer vacation time :wink:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Pigeon Roost Wrote:

I'm too old to play baseball anymore; so I don't need so cup holder!
LOL !! Funny. That came out of Left field.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
One aspect that seems to have been overlooked here is the functionality of the large, ugly Butler cup.

On my trip to/from Sturgis last summer, the Harley guys I was riding with made fun of my cup (and the other creature comforts they chose to do without). I added a section of tubing to my cup, with a quick-stop clamp like they have on the Camel Backs so I could take a sip without having to remove the cup from the holder.

When we stopped to get gas, they would run in and buy a bottle of water and gulp away because they were so dehydrated. I could take my cup in, fill it with ice and water from the fountain and most places didn't even charge me for it.

I could then take a sip of ice-cold water as I needed it during the ride, instead of dehyrdrating myself. Most cup holders aren't big enough to hold this style of cup, so I'm sticking with my Butler, thank you very much.

When I just need a place to hold my coffee on the way to the office, I fold down the cupholder on my wife's armrest and stick it in there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nobody denies the functionality of the Butler especially with a little improvement like you did.

The issue here is the ugliness of the cup holders.

I mean solo riders can mount a 5 gallon Igloo cooler on their back seat with a sip tube attached to it. That will also be functional too. But still, I say it'll be ugly as hell.

I mean why someone can't come up with a design that will be functional and at the same time will look great in design. That's the question.

Ride safe,

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well Jim ? I think your answer is quite simple ? Don't mount one !
I don't like the way they look so I didn't mount one. I do think they look ugly. They do serve a purpose tho. But hey to each there own I guess ?
We just take 4 small bottles in a little cooler and away we go ! If we have to stop for 10 minutes ? It's not a big deal to me. Besides, if I drank that cold water all of the time ? I would be stopping every 10 minutes anyway!
LOL....... :luf1:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts