GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Rubber plug/cover around the shifter little loose?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Left heads are a little closer to out great than the right side (for cylinder offset). Still of it's hot enough to complain about I'd check coolant level and next check temp of both sides. I recall a head temp issue in earlier models, it may be coming cause are clogged up. I noticedy left for warmer than the right on my 02, but the temps measure the same.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Could it be that those non-stock valve covers get hotter than stock?

·
Registered
504 Posts
For what it's worth I used to have those chrome shark gills like you have on your radiator openings and after I installed them I frequently noticed a disturbing amount of heat on my shins. After I removed the gills I never had that trouble again. I don't know if they were disturbing the airflow somehow and causing the heat to be directed closer to the fairing or what. I had them for about a year and a half before I removed them.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
For what it's worth I used to have those chrome shark gills like you have on your radiator openings and after I installed them I frequently noticed a disturbing amount of heat on my shins. After I removed the gills I never had that trouble again. I don't know if they were disturbing the airflow somehow and causing the heat to be directed closer to the fairing or what. I had them for about a year and a half before I removed them.
Yes, they defiantly disturb air flow thru the rads.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you can get them off Gerlone, let me know as I would like to remove mine as well :)

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
If a Wing is bought used, sometimes they are there too cover up damaged from a wreck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
In your picture, you have the lower Wind Wings open. In this position, the air coming out of the radiator gills travels back and directly onto your legs. Try moving the lower wings outward so the radiator air will flow outward and around the rider and passenger.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
In your picture, you have the lower Wind Wings open. In this position, the air coming out of the radiator gills travels back and directly onto your legs. Try moving the lower wings outward so the radiator air will flow outward and around the rider and passenger.
I went back and looked but couldn't tell if they were open or closed but totally agree - if the lowers are open (leading edge away from the the fairing) close the leading edge all the way to the fairing to direct heat away.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Could always sell the bike and buy a convertible .. :LOL:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Its those Shark Fins over the radiators. I installed them on my 03 and with temp over 65 degrees my shins felt like they were slowly cooking.

I removed the Shark Fins and never felt heat on my legs again....now removing those Shark Fins is another story...that high temp silicone that is used to attach those Shark Fins was a major job getting it off the bike...never did get all that silicone off the bottom of the radiator openings where you couldnt see it.

I liked the look of the Shark Fins at the time but they were one of the few mods I did that just didn't work out.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Did you have to break them to get them off?
Yes..there was no way getting those Shark Fins off without breaking them..the high temp silicone...I tried everything..put a torpedo heater in front of the bike to heat up the plastic..used silicone remover..tried scraping with a plastic scraper...finally used silicone remover and my finger nails to slowly remover all that high temp silicone...it was a very slow process...thought I was going to have to buy new plastic from Honda at one point, but after days of going at it, I finally removed enough of that silicone off where you could see...but I still never got all of that high temp silicone off.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had to break the shark fins apart on mine to get them off too. I couldn't get all the high temp silicone completely off so I gave up and bought a pair of those chrome trim pieces that cover the center bar on the radiator opening, as this is the only place the silicone adhesive is used for the shark gills anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts