GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went darkside almost three years ago, after the first 4000 miles on my then new-to-me 2008 GL1800. I set aside the fresh Dunlop E4 and installed a CT. Since then, I have darksided about 70,000 miles, and double dark about 60,000 (BT45 on front). I began with a Dunlop WinterSport RF for about 25,000 miles, then a DriveGuard RF for about 25,000, then a Pirelli SnowControl RF for about 10,000, and back to a DriveGuard the last 10,000. The Dunlop was the wonkiest, the Pirelli the least (but only lasted 10,000 miles), and the DG was in between those two.

I got used to the wonkiness early on, but later began to view wonkiness as 'work' anytime going other than in a straight line. When I got a Suzuki Strom a year ago, the contrast was striking, work v. no work. Later, same with BMW Airhead; both the Strom and Airhead are effortlessly flicked back and forth in the twisties, whereas the darksided GW can be tossed and turned, but with work involved (push, pull, counter steer). It became harder and harder to convince myself to jump on the GW, since riding it was just more work.

A few days ago, I swapped the half worn out DriveGuard for the Dunlop E4, laid aside since I removed it three years ago. Instantly the GW was transformed; no more work, just flick it back and forth like the Strom and Airhead. I recall, the SnowControl and DriveGuard both become progressively wonkier as they wore. That was one benefit of the Pirelli, it maintained minimal wonkiness from the first to last mile. I still have a new Pirelli SC sitting in the corner, so may later install it and return to the darkside. But for now, I am enjoying the flick ability, with no work involved, in the Dunlop E4.

With a MC tire, I miss the run flat technology / safety, but like so many other things in life, it's a trade off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Joe,
Im glad you posted this. I’m getting ready to give the dark side a try, I bought and powder coated a spare rim just mounted a pirelli Cintura run flat 195/55/16 I’ve only put about 600 miles on the new to me 08 but I’m really enjoying the flick ability of such a large bike, and I’m not sure I want to loose that. My thought was if I don’t like it I can always go back without loosing much riding time just maybe an hour or two garage time. But now I don’t think I’m going to be in such a hurry to swap.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I gave it a try on my VTX since I mostly ride it solo. I was always reminded how bad it handled when I got on a motorcycle without one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would really like to hear some unbias responses from people who didn't like them without the cheerleaders ready to pounce on their posting. I know I get the defense that darksiders feel they need to do but give the other side a chance so those of us on the fence can make a decision on information good and bad.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hey Joe,
Im glad you posted this. I’m getting ready to give the dark side a try, I bought and powder coated a spare rim just mounted a pirelli Cintura run flat 195/55/16 I’ve only put about 600 miles on the new to me 08 but I’m really enjoying the flick ability of such a large bike, and I’m not sure I want to loose that. My thought was if I don’t like it I can always go back without loosing much riding time just maybe an hour or two garage time. But now I don’t think I’m going to be in such a hurry to swap.
A tire that you've mentioned (Pirelli P1 Cintura) is my first CT, I've mounted it sometimes last year and had a few thousand miles on it now. So, not as much of experience like others here but I do have my "first impressions".

I found that particular tire quite "flickable" and easy to ride. It is very close in weight to a MT and probably the closest in that MT "feel". Monk (Bob, someone with a wealth of Darkside experience) suggested that tire to me, based on the area where I live and the riding I do (mostly backroads, rolling hills, some mountains, very little highways). I was looking for handling, not mileage. And I believe I got that with Pirelli P1.

Now....a different tire might (and probably will) handle differently. Not better or worse, just different. And you might like one over the other based on your expectations. Heavier tire = more work in curves = more mileage...etc

This is not "defending" or "advocating" for Darkside, just merely an observation from a non-biased rider who happens to like that tire. Worth trying at least IMO.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
When you come back to the darkside. Put a P1 on that thing and you will never look back. It is so close to a MC tire. I don't even think about becoming a flat earther any more.

·
Registered
934 Posts
"Wonkiness" and "flickability" are defined only in the eye of the individual. The opportunity (still) exists to make a decision that works best for you. Ride what you like and be safe.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am with you. Wore out two car tires on my previous wings. A Pirelli and an Alpin. Since getting the DCT, back to a MC tire. I just prefer it......simple as that. Running Dunlop elites right now. Handles really well and pretty good mileage.

Your explanation of “work vs effortless” hits the nail on the head.

·
Registered
934 Posts

This guy contradicts himself three times in the video and just repeats old rhetoric that we can read on this forum. Not the only video where he does this. Make your own decision but IMHO I would not rely on what this guys said.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I've never had a Dunlop E4, but I did have several Dunlop E3's. I change my own tires. The Dunlop E3's are the most difficult tires I've ever dismounted and mounted on rims because of their very stiff sidewalls. I'm now running a Pirelli P1 and that was easier to mount than the Dunlop E3. Dunlop doesn't (and probably never would) claim it's a run flat, but based upon the sidewall stiffness it appears to be. I'd be curious to read a report from any Goldwing motorcycle rider who has experienced a flat with the Dunlop E3 or E4.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The cheerleaders are warming up on the sidelines... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bulitt

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been Darksiding since 2007 on my 2007, mainly because of mileage. Last year I picked up a used 2012 and it had a new stock tire on it so I rode it till I wore that out and put another car tore on it. I noticed the difference between the tires but for me it isn't as drastic as some have mentioned. However if I could get the same mileage out of a round tire as a car tire I would switch back.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Besides saving money and the run flat option, what are the benefits of using a CT on a two wheeler?

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
WAY Better traction. Especially plowing up through a soggy yard or just a wet surface.

Happy wife because ride is a lot smoother.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I highly recommend the WinterSport on a 1500.

I recently changed the P1 at 13k miles, it had another 2k or so left. I chose it for a 9k mile trip with a trailer last year. It was a good choice.

I agree with Joe, that I lost the sportbike feel with the P1.
I live in rolling hills and no straight roads, it is a bit of work to counter steer all day.
I love the G704, it's a keeper.
I've got about 5k on a BT in front, I may go back to the G709 when I change the rear.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Besides saving money and the run flat option, what are the benefits of using a CT on a two wheeler?
Better siping, for more stability in the rain. Bigger contact patch means better braking ability, and more traction. Probably other benefits, which I am forgetting at the moment.

Reactions: Capt. Bob
1 - 20 of 24 Posts