GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
A tire that you've mentioned (Pirelli P1 Cintura) is my first CT, I've mounted it sometimes last year and had a few thousand miles on it now. So, not as much of experience like others here but I do have my "first impressions".

I found that particular tire quite "flickable" and easy to ride. It is very close in weight to a MT and probably the closest in that MT "feel". Monk (Bob, someone with a wealth of Darkside experience) suggested that tire to me, based on the area where I live and the riding I do (mostly backroads, rolling hills, some mountains, very little highways). I was looking for handling, not mileage. And I believe I got that with Pirelli P1.

Now....a different tire might (and probably will) handle differently. Not better or worse, just different. And you might like one over the other based on your expectations. Heavier tire = more work in curves = more mileage...etc

This is not "defending" or "advocating" for Darkside, just merely an observation from a non-biased rider who happens to like that tire. Worth trying at least IMO.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I also have limited miles on the P1 I mounted last fall just before an early snow put the Wing in hibernation (yet to be woke up). I used a 195/60-16 (not the run flat) and on the test rides can detect little difference from the E4 other than better straight line stability and less tar snake deviation. Leaning into a turn is ever so slightly more lean required to begin with then predicable and solid.
I'm no tire expert but so far I'm impressed and feel the increased traction in a all out emergency stop (especially in the wet) would be improved a lot. I'm often two up on the ABS equipped 2001 and occasionally towing the trailer.
The slightly larger profile of the 60 series over the popular 55 series also makes getting onto the centerstand easier.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well that did not take long. About a week ago I installed the Pirelli SC I had on hand. It is not quite as easy to maneuver as a MT, but it comes mighty close. It is much less work than the half worn out DG was. Also, as I recall the last SC, it did not get wonkier as the miles racked up, as did the DG. I am gonna stick with Pirelli, and will try a P1 when this SC wears out. Good to be back on the dark side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ha, well I just ordered a set of centramatic wheel weights from wing stuff I think when they get here I’m going to try swapping to the pirelli ct.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ha, well I just ordered a set of centramatic wheel weights from wing stuff I think when they get here I’m going to try swapping to the pirelli ct.
I think you will love the Centramatics. They bring consistency to wheel characteristics and also make tire changes a breeze. The only issue I ever had was getting the rear unit back in place. There is an art to it. Hope you enjoy them.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts