GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed and put a new battery, in My wing, and I keep it cranked every week, and I noticed that I don't have a head light now. I have taken the seat off and found all the relays under the seat, but when I got it off, I haven't ever had to take anything apart, but I can't figure out how to get the rubber tabs on the end of the relay cover off. I want to check and see if Maybe on of the relays to the head lights are bad. If any of My good wingers, ever had this problem, please give me some incite to where I should check first. I am pretty good at working on My own bike, and I need Your help.
Phil in Ga.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A digital voltmeter is your best friend in tracking down such issues. Start with the simplest stuff first (power at bulb terminals) and resistance thru the bulbs (tells you if they are good/bad).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How many miles on your wing? Are these the original bulbs? The H7 stock bulbs only last 30k miles or so. I've had both low beams go roughly at the same time. I'd check the bulbs before you go deeper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I also suspect both bulbs are burned out but Another possible issue is a sticky start button, if the button doesn’t come all the way out when released the headlights won’t come on, try wiggling the button after the bike is running Just to make sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will start at the head lights like You all have suggested and first of all I will wiggle the start button too. I will get back with You all when I go out to My shop. Thx. Phil

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
In the future, to test light circuit, 1st pull outward on start switch. 2nd place in reverse with engine running. This overrides start switch interlock, if lights come on, starter switch issue. If not on, probably bad bulbs.

·
Vendor
16,372 Posts
I will start at the head lights like You all have suggested and first of all I will wiggle the start button too. I will get back with You all when I go out to My shop. Thx. Phil
The best repair for that is to replace the entire kill switch assembly.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Start button seems to me to be the #1 cause of no headlights. But I have something on my 2010 that really confused me for a while. Low beams, but no high beams - not even the blue HB light. It turned out to be the start button, however I have a special situation going on with my headlight setup. I have HID's in low beams and I have a relay set up to not turn on the headlights until the engine is running. Howerever, it will keep the headlights on via power to the headlight relay if the engine dies (that means I am not using EC's HID relay). My relay setup was giving me low beans because the engine was running, not because the headlight relay was charged. Discovering that I only had headlights with the engine running finally sent me in the right direction for a cause. I had no high beams because there was no power to the headlight relay due to no contact in the starter button. Lots of contact cleaner in the starter button and I got my high beams back and low beams stayed on after killing the engine (side stand and in gear or kill switch).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have trouble with my start switch. Every other year I disassemble it for a proper cleaning when it is -40C and snowing and the bike is toasty warm in the shop. The part I hated most was the fact that there is no indication that your headlights are not on unless you flip it to high beam and check for the HB indicator. I rewired the low beam relay to trip off of oil presser instead of the start switch. The high beam relay still runs off the start switch. I have seen a few oncoming Goldwings with no headlights on as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts