GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gold wing will be one year old in 5 more days. Did the first oil change at 4200 miles this afternoon. Was wondeirng though, when should the crush washer on the rear end be changed ?? There have been several discussions on changing the crush washer on the oil drain plug. There have not been any on changing the crush washer on the rear end.

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Only comment-get out and ride some more

·
Registered
57 Posts
my goldwing will be 2 months old tomorrow 4700 miles and I think I'll do the second oil change sunday, should be about 6000 by then......<BSEG>

did the first at 1000 miles......just a "my thing" in going to Syn. oil....

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
the first rear oil change is supposed to be done at 24,000 so if u keep putting miles on at the same rate November 2010 should b the big day for the rear oil change, if u want to change the crush washer sooner maybe u could get Ross to hold a finger over the hole to keep the oil from running out while u change the washer

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't found it on the front end yet
let alone the back end :lol: :wink:

Have changed the oil, front and back many times and never changed a washer yet.
Not so much as a seep or any indication of oil leak.

Did how-ever drive the local land fill site today and found many crushed washers and the odd dryer. :lol:

thought about bringing one home but how would I get it on my wing.
:lol:

Mac

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Brokeneggyolk said:
.... Was wondeirng though, when should the crush washer on the rear end be changed ?? ....
The manual recommends the crush washers be changed every other oil change.

I changed my final drive oil at the same time as the first two oil changes because it looked really bad/dark to me... and it is so easy to do!

After that, I'm not so worried about the final drive, and plan to change that oil every other crankcase oil change.

Works for me... YMMV! :wink:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Enough with the Washer Talk

It's just a WASHER.....If it don't leak...don't be worry!!!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
blento said:
Enough with the Washer Talk

It's just a WASHER.....If it don't leak...don't be worry!!!
No, it's not 'just a washer' because it was designed to have special qualities.

Anyway, he asked an honest question and I gave him the best answer I could. Why do you have a problem with that? :roll:

Personally, I don't care what you do with your washers, but at least let other people ask their questions and make their own decisions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
just changed my oil for the 4th time and still using the same washer. :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I get a free washer when I buy my 4 quarts of oil,,so why wouldn't I change it....1 year and only 4,200 miles ? DON'T WEAR IT OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Popcorn is in the Microwave!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brokeneggyolk said:
My gold wing will be one year old in 5 more days. Did the first oil change at 4200 miles this afternoon. Was wondeirng though, when should the crush washer on the rear end be changed ?? There have been several discussions on changing the crush washer on the oil drain plug. There have not been any on changing the crush washer on the rear end.
I have never changed a crush washer, but then I only have 56,000 miles on the '05. I do change the final drive oil every rear tire change.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Brokeneggyolk.
I change mine ea time if I have one. If I dont then I wait untill next time or even the next. Its really does not seem to be any big deal as long as there is no leak.
Hey as far as the amount of miles you have on there in a years time I congradulate you for riding when u can. There is some of us like me that have to work, and sometimes at two jobs, and also like me are single fathers. Sure I would like to get more time riding, but my kids are more important to me so anytime anyone playfully comments to me about the low miles I put on my bike I just laugh and take it as it is meant 'just in fun'. Whats important is that do enjoy life and its not all about how many thousands of miles I put on my goldwing. It is just one of the Many things I enjoy. the long trips will come when my kids are grown and out of the house but untill then I am thrilled with whatever time I can enjoy on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from Ownesboro Ky, dad and I rode down there for bbq at moonlight. All I need is another 185 more miles and it will have 5000 miles. If this weather holds may ride to Michigan in the morning for breakfast.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Jeff,
Glad you and your dad made it home safe and sound. You need to quit working and ride more, I'm sure your dad could pick up the slack. :wink:

BTW just changed my final drive oil for the second time (first at 1000) with 24000 on the odo. Since I had washers on hand (thanks Bulldog) I changed mine. I had forgot it has one until I pulled the plug out. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts