GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for MPG in the search thingy up top with no results found, so I am curious as to what kind of MPGs these monster sized bikes get. As some of you saw in another post of mine, I am looking at two different bikes, a 2012 H-D Road-glide Ultra and a 2010 GL-1800 ( maybe a 2012 as they are growing on me ). This information will help me decide what bike to get as I like them both and Momma is happy on the back of both ( test rode both this week).

If you could please include Highway and City MPG that would be great.

Sorry if this has been coveredbefore, but I had no luck with the search feature. THANKS!:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I added up the gas slips for about 1700 mi & averaged 38 mpg with my 03. High was 43 & low was 34 but overall 38 was what I came up with. Most of my riding is done on 2 lane roads going about 60-65 according to the speedometer or about 60 actual & in town at about 25-35 depending running 3d & 4th gears.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Two up and loaded for bear, we did 3500 miles in June and July and averaged 39 overall. Did not do the math for the low, but the high was 54 honda mpg and 50 gps mpg up around Yellowston NP.

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I keep a running total of miles/gas but only do the math occasionally.
When I'm waiting a while for something when I'm on the bike, I may pull out the calculator and bring my 'MPG" totals up. It's rarely under 40 and usually around 43-44. It drops below 40 if I'm going 70-75 either with or without the trailer.
I'm not usually a fast traveler when pulling the trailer so even then I get 40 or 40+. When I consistently on a few tanks, I'll check the plugs and the bike for leaks.
thecruiser

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Mpg

I keep a detailed spreadsheet and usually two up with a trailer. In the last five months and 14250 miles I have gone from 30 to 49. The low was into a headwind of about 30mph and doing 75. Every time I run the formulas out it is always 38 mpg. The high was cruising back roads around 50 mph.

It will make a difference as to whether you use the odometer and what size tires or use the GPS.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't keep avlny sort of long term spreadsheets but very consistently I get 40 MPG at each fill up. I generally just do the math in my head, and am only about 7k into my 08 but every time I've ended up with 40.something so far.

I typically ride solo, and a mixture of 2 lane / 50ish MPH and highway / 65 MPH (I tend to run 10ish over) for most of my ride, but as you know YMMV.

·
Registered
863 Posts
79 and up interstate gets me 32/33. backroads 55 gerst me 39/40. high altitude mountains gets me 42. on a new under 2000 mile bike. i hope it gets better.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
On my recent coast to coast trip covering 8,100 miles, I averaged 37 MPG. That was pulling a loaded trailer all but about 1,500 miles of it and lots of 70 to 75 mph riding in Montana and the Dakotas. My mileage is usually in the low 40s just tooling around without the trailer and riding solo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
usually in the low 40's 2 up and under 65mph. slab speeds 2 up brings it down in the upper 30's.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A constant 45mpg at interstate speeds. Oh yeah, that's on my Victory Cross Country !!!!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It all depends on your right wrist!:thumbup: I have gotten almost 49mpg two up on Saturday afternoon rides before!:thumbup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't do the math very often but I usually ride with two friends on HD Ultras. We all seem to be getting about the same milage. We all start the day and need gas at the same time.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I got around 40 on my 02 & my 08, you will get more on the Ultra, probably closer to 50 but the bikes are totally different. Ride each one, check the maintenance schedule, comfort and performance, and in the summer the heat from that Harley on your legs can get very hot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keep in mind that the Wing runs on regular gas and the HD may not.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
mpg

I also ride with a lot of Ultras and find the milages similar, but they do cringe when they see me lined up at the REG pump. I would expect that if you're putting any miles to speak of, that you will find more difference in the cost of regular vs premium. Oh,one other thing. They will sometimes race each other just a little, but they don't do it when I'm with them.:shrug:

Richard

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
35 to 45 depending. Quality of fuel helps...meaning "no ethanol."

Yes, remember the premium fuel price when comparing the bikes.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I average 35 on the Wing, two up towing an Aspen Classic. That's at an average around 70 gps mph. Have gotten as bad as 29, bucking a stout south wind at 75 real mph. Without the trailer the average is around 38. Have gotten as good as 42 at 65mph. I average around 38 two up on the Ultra at an average of 75mph. Haven't pulled the big trailer with the Ultra. Above 70mph the Ultra will get better mileage. Everywhere else they are about the same. IMO, if your plan is to ride two up pulling a heavy trailer. The Wing is the best choice for that hand's down. For most other riding, I personally prefer the Ultra. It just fit's me better. Both great bike's, and lot's of fun. You'll have a blast with either one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts