GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when useing rear brake at 40ty or 50th miles per hour i have shaking or shudder does any one had this problem? the bike is 2004 goldwing

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My 06 does the shudder stop all the time in hot weather. I just push down harder and it stops both the shudder and the bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had the same thing on and 01. Changed the brake shoes and eventually the rear tire. No change. I guess it went away because I changed bikes.

·
Lost Member
150 Posts
I've had my 06 shutter a few times,and doesn't seem to repeat. Seems to happen when I step on the petal fast. - Strange-

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yep, occassionally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Use front and back brakes at the same time and this will not be a problem. That's what I do and no problem.
I have heard it has something to do with the rear master cylinder getting hot .

·
Vendor
18,390 Posts
Of course inspect your braking system making sure the pads and rotors are clean. Once that is all done, brake using both brakes as instructed in the Operator Manual. That is your Wings feed back saying that the rear brake is being used in an incorrect mannor. Both brakes are required to effectively slow your bike. It usually only happens on hot days.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If it has been extremely hot, that is what the problem most likely is. My 03 does it some every summer!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an 06 ABS/Comfort/NAVI and it get the rear brake modulation too. It only happens when it's hot and will only happen if only the rear brake is used. I have determined that is has to do with the rear brake mechanism overheating. Rode pretty agressively down a long and steap twisty road with many switchbacks not to long ago. The descent required some pretty hard braking. Rear brakes got hot and modulation started. Stopped at the bottom and took a brake. Rear brake mechanism cooled and modulation went away. Just another wonderful design feature with the GLs. Probably don't read alot more on this because most GL riders are not all that aggressive.

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brake shudder issue

My 07 w/3500mi did this after wife and I took a 60 mi trip in the heat. The front end had a distinct shudder to it whenever braking from 50>25 mph, using any combination of front or rear or both brakes. Honda dealer found a warped rear rotor was the culprit. Changed rotor, pads, bled system, problem solved. Luckily this was under warranty$$ The parts cost alone of this little exercise moved me to purchase an extended warranty. Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I had this conversation with Dan from Motovation Cycles just this past weekend.

Dan say's that they all do that. It's not mechanical, but it's within the brake fluid hydraulics and it is heat related.

He says that a heat sheild was added in later years but that it seems to have little effect.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts